Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch Games' started by crunc, Oct 20, 2016.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I got tired of iOS games a while ago. That they are dirt cheap is irrelevant to me. And there's tons of excellent indie console games that aren't expensive and are WAY more fun than any mobile game. I mean on consoles in general. PS4 for me mostly, but Switch is getting good ones too of course. And don't get me started on mobile tetris type games. Touchscreen is so horrible for those. Physical controls all day every day.

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    As an old school gamer I've paid $39.99-59.99 for Nintendo, saga genesis, PS3 and Switch games. I don't play any f2p iOS games and have paid .99 - 19.99 or maybe 24.99. I agree that iOS games can be a hit or miss but iOS does have a ton of amazing games including:

Kingdom new world
    Rush rally 2
    Mini metro
    Ticket to earth
    Steamworld heist also on 3ds
    Sorcery series
    80 days
    Ace attorney series
    Solitairica
    Card thief
    Card crawl
    Teeny titans
    Warbits
    Deus ex go
    Lara Croft go
    Hitman go
    Crashlands
    Sproggiwood
    Love you to bits
    Severed
    Skyfish
    Junk jack
    Bastion
    Transistor
    Spider and spider 2
    Ocean horn
    Banner saga
    Badlands

These games ranged from .99 - 15.99 I think so again not saying console games aren't worth it just that they are expensive compared to other games that are pretty good for their price!

3. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Some good games there! But it does come to choice, i think crunc likes a gaming experience with proper implementation of controls. How u play a game is a big factor with enjoyment and we all differ. But u are right ios does have some great games, hell one of my faivroute ios games is nyz zombies, the first one with playstation 2 graphics lol but its about what you get from a game. I get what he is saying in that when i play the switch little inferno felt more like a console game!? Which is silly as its on ios, but it felt a little diffrent. Idk if its because there is so much crap on ios that its diminished the style of ios gaming? Maybe too much choice for me has cheapened it? I know it sounds stupid! Ive stopped gaming on ios to the point i game maybe once or twice every fortnight which is crazy considering i used to play several hours a day lol i almost feel after over 8 years of ios gaming that i have seen it all, il only buy games now that i really want which sadly is few and far between now.

4. D4rkwolf

D4rkwolf Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Student
    In a house ^^
    Sold out everywhere x.x

Cant even find a replacement 3ds either as stores havemt stocked since october :<

5. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Oh man thats sucks, have u tried amazon? My friend got one imported, but he was lucky i guess.
    The bright side is when stock comes soon u will have alot more choice in games

6. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I totally agree that iOS gaming is hampered by a flood of bad games... I also am a controller kind of gamer and don't like touch games especially platformers and arcade and action games. To me strategy games are pretty good on iOS.

I guess I am hoping for a balance price with the Switch as I am re-entering the console space and haven't thought beyond BOTW but can't imagine buying tons of $50 games based on me aging and truly not having the same time with life (in a good way) getting in the way! Haha

7. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    I am setsuna is worth getting by the way, its the other game I have enjoyed the most. And im in the same boat as u so i cudnt agree more with your post

8. D4rkwolf

D4rkwolf Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Student
    In a house ^^

The stock is being all scalped to heck on 3ds models sadly, and the same for switches....dirtbags

Oh well sunless sea and ember on ipad will do <3

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    My Switch is starting to hurt my iOS gaming! I fired up Brothers for the first time yesterday on the iPad. I reckon if I had played it two months ago, I'd be raving about how beautiful it is. After Zelda, though, the animation and visual detail really suffer in comparison.

Fortunately, 2D games still look great on iOS. You don't need a Switch to enjoy Death Road to Canada, Super Phantom Cat or Teeny Titans.

Has anyone tried Wonder Boy yet? I'm definitely getting it - but I am still not used to Nintendo pricing, so can't quite pull the trigger!

10. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland

I've been playing Wonder Boy, eating into my Zelda time :D
    I like it, but I really liked the original back in the day and that's basically what this is. The same game with a fresh lick of paint. So if you played the Master System game you know exactly what to expect, just prettier.
    The price didn't bother me, it's only a couple of quid difference from the other versions. But I decided on the Switch one over my PS4/Xbone for the portability factor.

To chime in on some of the other comments earlier, I'm inclined to agree with the iOS controls situation. Even as a developer I'll happily admit there's aspects of iOS gaming that are lacking.
    Don't get me wrong I've got a wireless controller, but I mainly use that for the Apple TV, it's just not very practical to drag about everywhere for the iPhone. Not when there's better alternatives like Switch/3DS/Vita.

These days I tend to stick to more simple games on my iPhone that can fill a bit of time here and there. I like puzzles and strategy games, thankfully there's no shortage of those on iOS and the Touch Screen is just fine for those sorts of comparatively simple games from a control perspective. And I am still ridiculously addicted to Mario Run.

Doubt I'll ever get used to the touch Screen for complex FPS/Platformers and so on. Maybe I'm just too old to be re-trained :D

I'm also a purveyor of extreme double standards, I hate a lot of f2p games, constant ads and requests for money just get on my bloody nerves. I'd much rather pay up front and just enjoy the game. Which is what I tend to do.
    But on the flip side of that, I do put my own games out for free. There's just a little difference to many other free games in that I don't include adverts and everything in the games is completely obtainable just from playing it. Sure that means I make a lot less money than if I did the normal f2p style of things. But I couldn't care less, that's not why I make apps and at least I keep my soul intact :p

11. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I agree with the comment that iOS games that are puzzle or strategy are perfect. It's arcade or, action, platformers that are harder. I give many developers a credit through as several have done a great job and the price point is good.

I'll likely not buy many games on the Switch as I still have my 3ds with several games I want to finish... or play... so bad to buy but not finish etc...

I believe I'll be stuck with BOTW as my primary game for the year. I only play maybe an hour a day 4 days a weeks so slow progress and progress mean distracted. Today I kept bombing long distance some enemies in the water and it was so much fun. The problem I got so distracted and likely didn't move anywhere just found a few chests in the water and battled with some sea creatures. Love it!

12. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    Yeah there have been some seriously good games on iOS over the years, no denying that and there's some extremely talented developers out there (wish I was one :D) who are very much worthy of my money as far as I'm concerned.

I'm like you, I've got a huge backlog of games to get through as it is across several platforms and I normally just don't get as much time to play these days. Being an indie developer takes a huge amount of time and effort, even for the kind of stuff I put out. But I enjoy it.

Zelda though, that's occupied a fair bit of time since I got it. I decided to get it on Switch rather than Wii U, better performance and portability wins out there.
    There's just so much to do in it. I don't think I've ever set out on a mission and actually gone straight to it. I get distracted by one thing or another, then eventually get around to what I was supposed to be doing.

I've sunk in over 140 hours into the game so far and I'm not finished yet. Which isn't just the most I've ever played a single game in recent years. It's the most time I've taken out of doing everything else to play a game in over a decade. That, as far as I'm concerned just speaks volumes for the quality of the game and it's developers. A job very well done.

13. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Haha that has totally been my experience! Ive clocked in just over 205 hours get ive only got 140 of the 900 korok seeds!! People are still finding secrets even now in this game its crazy.

14. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Hmmm, my Switch claims I've put in about 50 hours on Zelda now (I suspect it's recording time when I've forgotten to put it in sleep mode and just dumped it in the dock...), but I've still only just done the Zora region, and now started on the Goron/Death Mountain quest. I've only activated five towers, but have done a few shrines on the edges of other regions, plus a load of side quests and found quite a few Korok seeds. I love just seeing something fairly out of the way, and thinking: I bet there's a Korok seed or treasure chest around there. Loved the top of Lanaryu mountain too!

15. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    There are some crazy ways to get korok seeds, the amount of love and dedication put into botw easily make it my top game of all time so far. Dont get me wrong it wasnt till the 80 hour mark i started flying through the game, im sure soon u will speed up naturally even with checking everything. Im going to start it again though soon and be more thorough.
    But start going to villages and talking to as many npcs as u will discover so much

16. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    OVER 200 HOURS :eek::eek::eek: I thought I was bad ;)

It is insane just how much they have put into this game, you can tell they actually loved what they were doing. I love it, it's right up at the top of my all time favourite games. There's just so much to do and the way they seem to have managed to fill the world with things in just the right places to make you go, oh What's over there and over there and.....

I don't get the negativity some people are shoving at it. Even if I didn't like the game I think I could still appreciate the amount of work, the dedication, love and just pure quality of gameplay that oozes from this title. Just as I have for other games that haven't appealed to me.

I've got 14 shrines, 664 Kuroks and god knows what else to find still. I think I'll still happily be playing this game for years. Long after I've 100% it, I'll start again and play it on and off.

What's most annoying just now is that work is getting in the way of my precious Zelda time :D Honestly it's embarrassing when you're playing a game like BOTW and then you tootle off to work on a game like I'm making just now. Probably just highlights what a pathetic developer I am. Ah well, at least it keeps me occupied and I enjoy my games even if no-one else does :rolleyes:

17. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    I agree that BOTW is likely my favorite game of all time and I'm old! I'm back to the days of pong and Atari! Something about it just makes it plain fun to do nothing but explore. I've done 5 total shrines in my 25 hours and maybe found 15 koroks (spelling)?

I actually think it's both the graphics not being photo realistic and the "distraction" nature of the game of let to his spot but wait I need to see this area and wait I should go here and it goes on and on. I'm likely going to do shrines when I run into them etc...

By best story is as I was about to go to sleep, I saved. I decide well I might as jump and use the glider to see what was below. Before saving my idea was I would explore the area and likely head toward this tower. So this spontaneous glider ride was just to see and turn it off and go to sleep.

Well after leaping I came across an area with a glowing statue or something... I ride down was amazing as it was with fog and darkeness into some old ruin. I didn't to save or else I knew I would be up another hour. I guess now I'll have to start with a new plan for exploring.

The distractions are unreal but so perfect as well.

18. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    Braw, another mature gamer ;) I go way back to the two rectangles and a square days myself. Among my collection of consoles I've amassed since the 70's I actually still have my original grandstand Pong TV game, still works too, even if it's not as amazing as it was back then. Though it is on about the same level as my developing skills :D

Ahem, anyway I digress, not easy staying on track when you've just taken your medication :p

It's easy to see how the game took as long as it did in development. I mean you can pretty much always count on Nintendo to deliver the goods. But with this instalment they have seriously gone the extra mile.
    Even after all of the time I've sunk into the game I'm still finding things to surprise and delight me.

It's the way they've made this world with a basic set of rules and you can just do basically anything. Want to fly? No problem, just get some octorock? (Spelling also) guts and attach them to a raft. Bingo, you have yourself a flying machine.

I can't imagine where they go with the series after this piece of gaming perfection.

19. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Damn u got alot of korok seeds then!! Nearly 300! Man i only got 142 korok seeds. Yeah i do love it which is why i cant stop playing, its a very clever game, its got everything. Rpg, strategy, puzzles, storys galore of npcs across the world, loads of secrets, a racing game, or even invent your own games for example there is a place with holes, above there are huge rocks and if u do time stop then hit them a few times they go flying and me and my friend were playing who cud get it in the hole first, it was like golf with bolders! This is why this is hands down the best ingenious game of all time. There is way more then this but i dont want to give any spoilers or secrets. Also some of the secret npcs and items in this game are amazing!! Also did u guys know u can buy your own house with your own things in there!? Keep playing, wait till u fight a boss, those fights ae epically fun!

20. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Lol this!
    This happens all the time, u get distracted with something wonderful every time u play. Anyone who owns this game owes it to themselves and these amazing devs who made it to experience EVERYTHING it has to offer! Yes it will take well over a 100 hours on first try but u wont regret a single minute