Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch Games' started by crunc, Oct 20, 2016.

1. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    #481 TrueBlou, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

Yeah, I've got my house completely kitted out now, lovely collection of arsenal on the walls too :D

But hang on, racing game??? I don't think I've come across that. Is it like a horse race or running or something? Any hints without spoilers for people :p

All this talk of us discovering things, but sometimes it's just what's going on in the world that I love. I'll keep this spoiler free. I actually stood for at least 5 minutes once, going nowhere, up on top of a tower by a lake just watching what was happening in the sky. I think the fact that it was sunset and a serious storm at the time helped the atmosphere. But it was just awesome.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and sad :D

2. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    There is snowboarding on the shield and horseraces, and i have not done seal racing yet.
    Have you met some of the more secret npcs with the amazing weapons and armour u cant buy anywhere?
    I wish we cud send photos to each other on switch that be a great feature, as u can only do it with Facebook or twitter which I don't have

3. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Ah, yeah I've done a spot of shield surfing and getting pulled around with the seals. Not done any horse racing yet though. I actually don't use horses much, I spend too much time exploring.

Yeah, got some really cool armour and weapons. Including the best Shield and sword in the game. I'd love to talk about some but it would give things away to people who haven't got there yet. Oh, I do like the one you get from the little chap you only meet at night ;)

Yeah sending stuff on Switch would be good, I'm sure that'll come eventually. We'll have to start up a thread for sharing friend codes :D

4. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Oh yeah the night guy is good, but without giving a spoiler do u know where to go for special weapons and armour for your guardian remains? Cuz that one is the best one out there! U can even get monster masks!

5. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Yeah it's kind of hard to mention it without spoilers but I'll try.
    It's available after a side wues, which itself is after a side quest. The first side quest involves a young old woman who likes selfies.
    If that makes sense, complete that side quest and you'll get told about a man called Robbie. Do that quest and you'll get what you're looking for.

If none of it makes sense, pm me and I'll tell you where to go :D

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I almost bought a Switch and Zelda today. Almost.

]I'd literally buy and play Zelda, then sell the console after. Thoughts?

7. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    @echosecen... I bought a Switch to play BOTW and have no regrets. I doubt I'll sell my Switch after finishing BOTW but also haven't explored future Switch games... not likely going to buy many games but I'm assuming maybe one or two a year max based on price of games and actual time to play being so low with life getting busy in a good way!

I've played probably nearl 30 hours and still gave done literally so little but each time I play is so amazing. I usually get maybe an hour a day and have done 6 shrines with tons of exploring / adventuring m. Each time I play I'm so surprised with what I see or do. Totally blown away! It feels like the world is living and breathing without me when I'm not playing but when I am playing I'm just one new adventurer.

I get bored with games easily but love open world games and at this point I see no boredom in sight. I see the opposite since I'm not a gamer with a lot of time to play and I see BOTW as the perfect world to immerse my self in when I fave time.

I am friends with a few from TA forum as a few of us exchanged codes openly earlier on this thread or BOTW thread...I don't think I understand the value of friends? I don't see chat or IM features etc... I see if they are on playing and how long they have played some games I think but that is all. Am I missing something?

BOTW - beginner spoilers maybe!

1) I agree I wish the Switch would allow us to email photos or DL them somehow
    2) the only map portion I have in my tablet is the great plateau and I've mainly web in the south east section on the new world or actual BOTW world. --- did another Shrine!
    3) Ran into first few NPC obexeuth mule and goods. Others just adventuring... surprised when they were running and screaming being attacked by the enemies!
    4) OMG ran into horses as a creature was attacking me on a horse and I knocked him off with a sword and I jumped on the horse... so crazy!!! Geeez...
    5) the horse and I were together a little but got distracted to see and do stuff.
    6) found stables (south east of great plateau) without a horse as I got distracted playing!
    Spoiler-- can I take a horse from the stable?
    7) can I give npc food or items? Can I kill them on purpose or by accident? I push them by mistake. I tried to give acorn or buts... just dropped and they do nothing.
    8) how do I shield surf? Is it something in taught?

So in love with BOTW and each time I play!

8. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

If you're literally only interested in Zelda and never anything else. Then maybe pick up a cheap second hand Wii U and play it on that, save yourself some money.

But I'd keep the Switch if I were you. I mean ok, I buy (and still have) every Nintendo console because I love some of their franchises and would hate to miss an instalment.

From just the confirmed Nintendo games we've got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (played it to death on Wii U and I'm still buying the Switch version, its that good,) Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2.

Then the very likely/hopefully list there's Pikmin, Star Fox, Metroid, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, Kirby, Smash Bros.

Obviously some on that list aren't confirmed, but are basically a sure bet. Some haven't had an instalment for a while but are in demand and Nintendo would be utterly mental not to make them if they want Switch to succeed.

And that's before you even consider games like Fast RMX which is absolutely awesome. Arms, which is starting to look good and all the rest I could waffle on about.

Basically, there's a whole heap of guaranteed first class gameplay headed towards the Switch.
    So if you did decide to keep it, you wouldn't be short of amazing games.

But if it's just not your thing, I'd definitely go the Wii U route. It'll be cheaper and your not really missing that much Zelda wise. Just a higher resolution and a bit better performance. Oh, and of course the fact that you can play it anywhere.

I love that about the Switch. It's something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. An actual, proper console that I can take with me anywhere I go. With good controls, a great screen and for what it is, absolutely amazing performance.

It was one of my favourite things with the Wii U, that I could play a game on the game pad while the wife watched her crap on the telly.
    Now I can still do that and take it with me when she drags me away from work to go on a bloody holiday :p

Honestly, every time I play Zelda, or something like Fast RMX which is visually stunning, in portable mode I just can't believe my luck :D

People whinge that it's not as powerful as a PS4, or whatever. Meh, personally graphics aren't my number one concern, gameplay is. And just try playing your PS4 on the train and see how well that goes. I think the Switch is a great achievement. The most powerful, most fully featured portable console ever. That's what I think of it as, I don't really consider it a home console. More a portable that can connect to your telly.

Aaannnd I'm waffling on again, bloody medication :rolleyes:

(Full disclosure, I do also have a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S and I'll be buying Scorpio.)

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Thing is, here the Switch is $550, Zelda is $100. I could play it for a month and resell the two together for about $550 easily. So ~$100 to rent the console for a month.

I'm also considering a PS4 Pro, which would be a "better" purchase, or just rebuilding my computer once the graphics cards come down in price. At a crossroads with the Switch leading the way because of its portability.

10. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    I do love the portability factor of the Switch. Even for things like, we have a big family holiday coming up in October, we're renting a big country house, I can just see us all after a *ahem* few light refreshments. Jumping about like loons with Arms or Just Dance, playing 4 player Mario Kart and god knows what else by that time.

As much as I love my PS4 Pro and Xbox One, there's no way we'd be doing any of that with them. They just aren't practical for lugging around.
    I honestly think the Switch is right up there on my list of all time favourite consoles because of its features and because of the games I know I'll love of course.

But it all depends on the kind of gamer you are as well. I need to have all of the systems because they all offer me something different and they all have franchises I love.

But there's little doubt that, at least until Nintendo manages to sell through a big enough volume of them, switch won't be getting all of the big multi-platform games.
    So if you're only going to have one console, then yeah, I'd probably say the PS4 Pro is a better choice overall. Or Scorpio when it comes out.
    But if you can get a Switch and you're confident enough of the sell through value. Then it's absolutely worth it for Zelda. I never thought I'd recommend something like that but Zelda really is a game not to be missed if you like those kinds of games.

Or I could be spouting utter arse gravy, it has been known :p

11. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    $100 to play Zelda is definitely worth it. A game like this only comes around so often. You would not regret it.

12. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    The last home console I bought was a PS3 an original first generation PS3 with full backward comparability not emulator to play PlayStation and ps2 games. I've been tempted several times by the PS4 but haven't pulled the trigger. --- price isn't the issue for me as much now as the older you get the less I need and money becomes less of a barrier but time time becomes the biggest barrier.

I personally believe the question is what games you really want to play as @Trueblou stated... PS4 or Xbox Li likely way more powerful of systems. They have exclusive games or series as well etc...

The portability is interesting to me as I take several business trips a year and having the chance to bring the Switch is great. The long flights and trying to unwind after business meetings and dinners. I may need to get over the fact that I'm a grown adult popping out a switch on a plane... haha! Anything to play BOTW!

I'll admit that chronicles 2 or chronicles x (whatever it is called) and Mario oddeysey are likely my next purchases. I hope for fire emblem or inazuma series on the future.

If you really want to play BOTW playing on either the Wii U or Switch is likely your only options and if you really want to take it a buy / rent idea my fear of the Wii U is that the switch might be easier to sell and the Wii U becomes less popular and harder to sell.

13. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #493 RHess00, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    6) You can stable a horse that you have caught for a price. Just ride up to the stable and talk to the guy at the counter. Then you can take that horse from any stable. Not sure if there's a limit but you can stable multiple horses.

7) Only if it's for a quest and it happens automatically when you talk to them. As far as I know, you can't kill them.

8) You are taught at some point.
    Press x to jump into the air, then hold ZL, then press A while still in the air. Of course you have to have a shield equipped.

14. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Oh haha sorry i think i worded my post wrong! I already knew how to do this and have bought all the items off him i was trying to ask if u had got to him, which u have. How cool is that spinning chainsaw blade! I have it mounted in my house and it looks awesome

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Guess who bought a Switch? :D

16. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Welcome to the party! I'm 50hrs into Zelda and have still barely started and am still enjoying every spare minute I find to play. Well worth your $100 if you do decide to sell it afterwards. Although you might want to hang on for Mario Kart 8, or Mario Odyssey...

17. imdakine1

Aug 23, 2011
    Congrats! I don't think you will be disappointed! I've played 30 hours with mainly exploring and adventuring! Only 6 shrines done. Haha!

18. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Congrats! Wat games did u get?

19. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    Welcome to the club. Now prepare to lose a big chunk of your life to Zelda :D

20. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

Yeah, I had it on my wall too. It's good that weapons are plentiful in the game, I'm wasting a few just hanging on the walls :D
    I'm always tempted to put "that sword" and "that shield" up, but I use them far too much. You know the ones I mean ;)