Universal REKT! 60 FPS tricks based racer.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Muppetpuppet, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muppetpuppet

Muppetpuppet Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    #1 Muppetpuppet, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    [​IMG]

REKT!
    We've been working on a small racing and stunting game called REKT. It's very game-play focused , with a focus on keeping a super responsive 60 fps on nearly every device.

We're quite happy with how its shaping up, and we expect to release it in the very near future. But not without having a look to see what people think. It'l probably be a free game with minor adds.

Here's a video of a game play session, it also explains the controls a bit. The game format is a strictly solo experience where you chain as many tricks and stunts as possible to rack up the highest possible multiplier. REKT! is a bit of a side project for some of the developers and artist on our team , so its a bit of a labor of love.

It 'd be really cool to see what you guys think.

Tomas Sala/Little Chicken Game Company

Attached Files:

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hey, welcome back!
    I'm not really into racing games, but my kid might like it. Especially because a) it's colorful and b) looks like it's "free roam" and not bound to a track.

By the way: What happened to your Oberon's Court from years ago? Did you cancel it completely, or are you still working on it?

3. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    on oberons court

well Oberon's Court is still there but a few years ago I wasn't in a great place personally. and OC was a creative release really. We where also knee deep in work for hire and corporate work back then ,which even though its game development it's its own type of hell really.

Since then we've managed to turn our studio around and we now have an un-announced PSVR title in the worka ,a publishing deal and an unusual themed strategy game coming up.

Beyond that my life totally changed when I became a dad as well.

So lots of stuff good and bad that can take you out of your pet passion project.

But even though I havent been working on it in 2017, We're shopping it around this year (gamescom) looking for a publisher that might put up the funds to put on of our teams on finishing it. (and not just me solo_ing it)

So life of a game developer in a nutshell :)

thanks for remembering :)

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #4 Nullzone, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Ah well, the perils of life :) Congrats (or condolences, whatever you prefer ;) ) on being a dad now.
    And of course I remember you and OC. Which is why I took a peek here ("Racing game? Naaah, not my thing... oh wait, it's the muppet. Let's look.").

For a publisher for OC, I can highly recommend Crescent Moon Games. Their Josh is frequently found around here too, but I'd contact them via some more formal channels (and send him a PM here, maybe) . Might be something for them, or not. I can't say for sure, but my gut feeling tells me they'll check it out. Worth a try.

"unusual themed strategy game" sounds good to me. Will it get an iOS release too?

Anyways, to get back on track: I'll for sure show this one to my kid (5.5 years old now) when you release.

5. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    This looks beautiful and can see the live from the video clip.

Definitely keeping my eye on this one.

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Well, this just shot to the top of my Most Anticipated list. Looks amazing, and right up my alley!

7. postmodernpilot

postmodernpilot Active Member

May 30, 2012
    This game instantly became an instabuy for me. If you need anyone to test I would love to. Jet Car Stunts is one of my favorite iOS games of all time. I would love to provide feedback.

8. postmodernpilot

postmodernpilot Active Member

May 30, 2012
    Also I would note that if you release the game for free please allow an in-app purchase to disable ads. Or possible have different skins that you can buy or unlock and if you buy one of those it removes ads.

9. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    The initial aim was to provide a adds integration that wasn't horrific or gating. So now it's watch an add and spin the wheel of fortune to unlock one of the other cars (which normally unlock when you reach a certain score). I'll have a talk with the developer in charge about what additional plans there are, but i'm sure we'd love to do it the best way possible.

Like I said its a small but polished side project and the guys really wanna nail the gameplay, not make it a adds cashcow..

Cheers

10. angrychimp

angrychimp New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Any updates on when this will be released?

11. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Shouldn't be too long now for the first version release. Bar any major upsets , publishers throwing millions at us for exclusivity and all that, it should be a matter of weeks.

12. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Play rekt at gamescom2017

Any of you lucky enough to be at gamescom 2017. We're showing off REKT at our booth in hall 4.1 .

:)

13. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I am incredibly jealous of anyone at Gamescom, this looks awesome!

14. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    REKT release Date : October 2nd

Hi everyone we've finally got a release date. It's October 2nd.
    So in a few weeks Rekt will be hitting the iOS appstore as an Apple Exclusive.

An android release is still in the books but probably at a later date.
    We're hard at work adding as much content and depth as we can.

Our focus is still to release an in depth experience which we can expand on once the game catches on with audiences.

Here's a few images from the latest build. It's very much work in progress as there's still improvements to the arena and GUI in the works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    More video's of the latest gameplay

We've added a whole new challenge system as well as a range of new tricks and visual polish. Check out this latest gameplay video.

16. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    even more video's

And one more

17. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    And here's a preview of some of the cars in REKT

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'll be sinking a lot of time into this!

19. Muppetpuppet

Sep 5, 2013
    Applied Game Developer
    Amsterdam
    Small beta test

We are looking for a small number of TA forum users to beta test rekt and share their feedback here!.
    If you want in, P.M an email adress which we can add to test flight. We'd prefer it if you already have experience with test flight so we can get everyone playing with the minimal amount of fuzz.

20. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I've been playing the beta version throughout the day. Thanks for the invite.

You've got something really special here. I think that you nailed the controls. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but that is minimal and I think to be expected. The game looks absolutely gorgeous and is running smoothly for me on an older iPad.

I love the fact that the cars feel like they have weight, beyond the use of the physics engine. The way that the tires splay a little and the nice bounces that they make feels like I am controlling and driving a little RC car.

On the other side of things, I think that the game icon needs some work, if you weren't already planning on that. The black background in particular doesn't seem to convey the vibrance that the game has. I think simply changing that could go a long way to making it pop.

I am also wondering of the arena layout changes at any point. If it does and I just haven't gotten there yet, perhaps that could happen a little sooner. If it doesn't, adding in features over time could be nice and offer a sense of progression that I feel is somewhat lacking at this point. Which is really my main criticism of the game at this point. I think that adding in a little variety to the gameplay (like a series of rings that you have to pass through in order, AI opponents to chase down, things like that) could really go a long way to spicing things up and making it feel like new cars and upgrades serve a purpose and are worth shooting for.

All in all, I think you'll do well with this as is but things like that could wind up offering a lot more variety.