iPad thumb ergonomics - Proper DPad placement Poll

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by gospel9, Apr 9, 2011.

?

Which position do you prefer?

1. 1. Center

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. 2. Lower

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #1 gospel9, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    This is what I mean, like this:

1.JPG

As opposed to:

2.JPG

There are pros and cons with each configuration, of course. The lower position sometimes covers less of the screen, for example, and can be arguably better when you are not holding onto the iPad (for example, sitting angled on a case). Ideally I would prefer the option to be able to adjust where the Dpad should be.

So what do you think?

2. gospel9

Oct 5, 2008
    Updated attachments; photos weren't showing up earlier...

3. Stealthy Monk

Stealthy Monk Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Not to be difficult but for me the only choice is customizable. Gameloft is great at this. Sometimes i play laying down, and need the buttons near the middle and others sitting up with the buttons at the bottom. Not sure what the additional programming would be but is nearly a must for me.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I prefer choice 2(lower pic). When you have the smart cover folded while playing, it feels very comfortable.

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    ya i like how gamelofts conttrols r customizablw as well :D

6. gospel9

Oct 5, 2008
    I am surprised by the poll results. How do you guys hold the iPad? I mean, without leaning it onto your legs or a stand. When holding the iPad up standing, and if I position my hands to the lower part of the screen, it feels like the iPad is abou to fall off. Although I might be the minority if this poll is an indicator of iPad players preferece.

7. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    This! :)

8. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    I don't walk around with it, I use it almost always in bed when I'm laying on my back. Holding the bottom is the most convenient for me because the iPad can rest on my palms. Controls in the centre of the screen are almost unusable, especially with headphones and/or power connected. Essentially, I use it like a book, a lot of the time I am actually reading ebooks on it, and I don't like games that I can't switch to without going somewhere else.

I almost never use it sitting upright or standing. I have a desktop job and I can use the computers in my office all day so I will never get the iPad when I'm sitting somewhere since there'll already be computers nearby.

Oh and by the way, I hate buttons in the middle of the screen too, that is really inconvenient, sometimes even touching them with my nose is easier than bending my fingers to reach them.

Another thing is accelerometer controls. I can't play games that require tilting because the accelerometers don't work when I'm holding my iPad like this. Tilting doesn't make a game something that makes ingenious use of the iPad hardware, it makes it a game that can not be played unless you hold the iPad in a pre-defined way.

I think the only true answer is "always make controls configurable". The iPad isn't limited to only one scenario. When you develop for it you can't assume that the user is going to use it in the same way as you, like you can (more or less) with a desktop computer.

9. joecarr

joecarr Active Member

Mar 29, 2011
    It is a lot easier to use configuration 2 when you have an iPad 2 IMO ;)

10. gospel9

Oct 5, 2008
    Well for me I use the device sitting up right most of the time, or holding on it in some way... Even on the bed, but you are right that the power cord does get in the way (though I would argue it gets in the way regardless).

But say you are sitting down somewhere without a desk and you are not able to put your leg up and you don't have a stand, you can't possibly hold the iPad with your hands that low without feeling much of the weight of the iPad.

I have the iPad 2 and to be honest, I am not enjoying using it for thumb stick games mostly for this reason.

Configurable controls or the way that Dead Space works is arguably better yes, but I was just curious to see if others are feeling the same.