In game purchases

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by khangtoh, Jun 14, 2009.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    With 3.0, we'll start seeing in game purchases for some games. Do you think you will be willing to spend money on buying virtual add-ons to enhance the game?

Thoughts???

2. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Depends. If it's well done level packs, like what Star Defense is gonna do with new universes, or TTR3 might do with songs, then I don't mind. If its gonna be something like 99c for a rocket launcher (yes I know it was a hypothetical example), then no.

3. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i dont like the idea

its the worst idea ived heard since the snuggie and crocs

i probably wont be spending extra money for add-ons

4. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It worked for facebook games so... I mean people do like buying virtual stuff... :)
    But can't say for sure if it'll become a hit on the iphone.

5. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Well, at first I really hated the idea. I thought 'why on earth would Apple do this. This is only because they want more money.' Then, I thought about it for a while, and it started to make a bit more sense. See, a developer may make a really good game, but after a while, their sales will decrease. I mean, once people have bought their game, then what? If a project doesn't bring in any more money for them, what motivation to developers have to continue developing good content for their games? I don't think it's fair to expect a developer to carry on making huge content updates, especially if they've already done a good job with the initial product, for free.

I'll give you an example. I'm a huge fan of Caster (you may be able to infer this from my sig). It's already a really sweet game, that obviously took quite a bit of work from the developer. I am hoping for an update, but really, what inspiration would a developer have to carry on developing new content updates, if he's already reached the apex of customer sales? To be able to sell more content is a good idea for both customer and developer: it ensures that developers have reason to develop quality content updates and being able to draw income from their work, while customers can expect quality updates from their favorite games.

However, of course there'll be a few crap devs who add content updates for money alone, with no quality whatsoever. So, that's why there are sites like this, so you can find out what a crap game is and stay away from lousy games. I generally go by TouchArcade recommendations only, because this site is so up-to-date with the constantly fluctuating market of the App Store. TA FTW!

And if you really hate paying for anything on the App Store, you've probably already jailbroken your device, so this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

6. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    What scares me is Devs will start releasing very stripped down games, then add a ton of stuff via in game purchasing that they would have normally included in the original release before the 3.0 came out.

7. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    As long as the devs do not get overly abusive with the option, I see no problem with it. I am not to excited about the idea, considering updates may cost money in the future depending on the greed of the developers. If you think about it, we have already had this option for quite some time, but we got to download it from the app store for free (update), now everything is going to be priced. Example: OMG, Rolando just added three new levels to the game, and their only $2.99. This is just a theoretical example. Only time will tell.

8. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    i like the idea of in game purchases as long as they add a significant amount of gameplay to the game. I am kind of hoping that some of my older games like moto chaser come out with some levels just to make the game a little better. it will be interesting to see what games will offer these in game purchases

9. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    I think this is interesting to keep programs developed.
    Currently updates dont cost anything (this might also change), but if you have a limited number of clients the program starves, and teh develope need to bring out a new one (or new to buy with new version), with in app purchase this is better as the price can be low and constant new features can be added (if the gameplay allows).

I did the reverse with POCXXL (lifetime license) and am not happy abotu this as soon as the market gets saturated I get less customers (speaking now of 9 years for this version). We start selling add-ons now, which helps to get the old customers back. And the support e increases as the number of one time customers is constantly increasing (but this is mroe for the out of app store programs using this scheme for lost licenses resending etc -- not necessary for the App Store programs), which is also a problem and can be solved by an in app purchase.

10. Bruno

Bruno Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Capital Markets
    Boston
    I do not like the idea.

Since the beginning of AppStore, I thought that the games’ prices were wrong (too cheap, if compared to other portable platforms). However, the AppStore business model proved to be an excellent model and only the good games have a chance to excel.

During the months, price became a huge market strategy for devs and publishers, and games like Enigmo is now even cheaper than it was when it was released ($9.99 in August 08 x $2.99 in June 09). That is what costumers from AppStore are used to, cheap games with good replay value. That is the reality for the industry. That is the reason of tons of apps in the store. That is the reason Apple achieve 1 billion downloads.

To incorporate in-game purchases I think it is a mistake. It is a way to compensate the brutal competition on the AppStore. Devs and publishers probably are complaining about profits and that was the solution from Apple. It is a way to turn a $5.99 game into a $59.99. From the devs, publishers and Apple point of view, it is excellent.

Let’s take a look at the console industry. All the extra contents can be purchased from PSNetwork, Xbox Live or Wii Channel. It is a way to turn a game very expensive. Take a look at RockBand or Guitar Hero. The game can easily have more than $500 value if you buy all the packs. All right, one can argue that there are some IP to be paid, the musics cost something, they have to pay the artist, and so on.

On the other hand, this could be a great idea to stop the bleeding. By bleeding I mean a lot of terrible apps with no value at all that not even for free worth our time. This in-game purchases could be a way to keep devs and publishers excited in making new and good stuff.

In conclusion, as a costumer, I do like the idea. I think we are going to have incomplete games that we will be obligated to buy add-ons to make them playable. Imagine the situation: a sports game (anyone) for $0.99, but you only have one team to play. To really enjoy the game, you will have to buy some packages (like championships, conferences, and so on). We will still have the option for not buying, but who knows? What if this turns to be the industry standard?

I do not know, but it seems to me that we are going to start paying for demos, lite, and free versions….and only with in-game purchases we will enjoy the experience.

11. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Exactly!! It might not be that way at first, but eventually it will.

12. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Yes, EA has a nasty habit of trying to screw over the customers on the Xbox Live Marketplace. As long as the in game purchases are sensible, and not, "$1 to unlock ________ early!" or "$1 for a new racecar skin" I'm fine.

13. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Not all dev's will do this, but seeing how greedy the corporate world is, some people will take advantage for sure!...
    (Dave Cazz should be a role model! He does not take advantage and appreciates his customers)

I have been against microtransactions since they first started doing it back on the PC, I have no problems paying for a complete game and then if maybe 5-9 months later an expansion comes out, I would happily buy it as long as the first game was a FULL game... But microtransactions... ehhhhh....
    For instance, look at the Sims 3, great game and I would say it's worth $10, BUT, EA could have inlcuded twice the amount of home purchasings then they currently offer, you know they are going to have "upgrades" within the next 2 months, mark my words.... These were most likely made and ready for the game day #1, they just aren't including them because they are waiting to charge some more money once 3.0 hits....:mad:

14. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Devs WILL abuse this. I can't buy a 0.99 game anymore until I read there is no downloadable content that'll make it cost like $20 for the whole/full game. I think it can be a good idea for honest developers, but then again, there aren't many of those out there.

15. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    You're right. I was surprised at how sorta stripped down Sims 3 was. Not very many purchases to make for your home at all and no build mode. Now i see the reason. You'll have to pay for "living room pack 1" that offers maybe 2 couches, 3 tv's and a bookshelf. Then a "living room pack 2" that will give rugs, lazy chairs, and a stereo. There are no outdoor purchase options now, but you'll have the option of buying swimming pools, patio furniture, a fence and some tree's with the add-ons. It's endless the ways they will be able to milk us with the more popular apps. People will buy into it saying..."It's only a buck." In the end, we'll wind up having to pay 30 bucks or more for a ipod game that now costs us a max of $10.

16. IpodLady

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Thats the whole point. They're obviously in the business to make money. I have no problem with that. But this system of gaming is becoming more and more popular. The Devs see this and have visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads on how to make even more money. Why do you think it's so popular now? We get quality gaming at affordable prices. This new way will bring it down.

17. conman_16

conman_16 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Roseville, CA, USA
    I also think this will be abused. UNLESS apple does some more of there regulating and adds a few things:
    1. The developer MUST say if they will have in game purchases in the original app description and have the purchases described at least a little. ie, we will be selling map packs, or selling additional racecars, etc. If they do not do this and the app does have in game purchases, apple will remove the app.
    2. There must be limits, set by apple, on the amount of in-app purchases that can be done, either by money or amount. ie, if an app cost $5, there can be no more than $10 worth of in-app purchases (idk if that was a good amount, I was just pulling numbers outta my ass). also a number limit, like no more than 15 seperate in-app purchases allowed(pulled out my ass again).
    I think if apple does those things, the abuse could be much more regulated and reasonable

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Like in other threads about the same subject, I do not understand you guys. All this whining about future possible abuses.
    If a dev abuses of in-game purchases, you can simply avoid buying the apps or its updates. There is no gun pointed on your head obliging you to get every paid upgrade. Simply decide if the ORIGINAL app is worth the ORIGINAL price (you have plenty of reviews as well as the forums in order to understand that), and then make the EXACT same things for EVERY in-game purchase. A clever customer is difficult to deceive.
    We got plenty of astonishing deals every day in the app store and still you find every possible chance to complain. I really do not understand.

19. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    My biggest concern about in-game purchases is that could skew profits even more to the top titles. I'm all for capitalism, and people that develop super-polished games with broad appeal deserve to be rewarded. But a huge segment of the population already only bothers periodically browsing the top 25 games list. In-game purchases, done well, will give publishers incentive to keep producing updates. But it'll also give the average user even less incentive to shop around and find/try something new - the popular games they already have will have periodic updates for sale with fresh content.

20. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    don't knock it 'till you try it