App Dev < 18?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Vingdoloras, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Hi there!
    I'm in the middle of reading some books about Obj C and how to create iDevice apps and this stuff. I also own a mac already, so I'll be ready to start coding some smaller things pretty soon.

There's one last thing that I am thinking about again and again:
    As I am under 18, I am legally not allowed to sign up for a dev account. What should I do?

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    lie about your age.....

3. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Um...I would not suggest that. Perhaps you have a close friend that could make the account for you.

4. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Is it possible to change the information about the account owner later? So for example my father signs up and pays 99$, and when I'm 18 i can change the contact information to my personal information?

5. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    If the info can be changed, thats a good idea. Maybe you should pm a developer on this site to ask if thats possible.

6. Maybe you can get one of your parents to sign up for you?

7. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Thats what I'm thinking about, but I would like to be able to change the personal things later, so I am independant from my parents later and don't have to do everything I do through them (having one account now with my parents and then making one when I'm 18 is not a solution. I may have a paid app out before I'm 18, and I don't want the customers to be forced to buy it again because of a new dev account...)

8. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Don't sign up if you're less than 18. I did, and then somehow they found out and a guy from Cupertino called and he was high up in iPhone Dev. He suspended my account and I had to transfer it to my parents; now I have to switch it back to my ownership next month. At least I have a connection to someone high up in the ranks. I have the direct line phone number that goes straight to his office! And he was really cool about the whole process.

9. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i have seen some setup's go from private to corporate; so, it is possible. your best bet would be to get your parents to sign up on your behalf; note - that they will be the ones having all profits reported on their taxes. this will have some potential issues such as tax bracket jumping - so you need to have them think it through thoroughly.

10. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Damn, my father tried to enroll, but he doesn't have a credit card... the support told us that there is NO other way :(

11. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    in this day an age - everyone should have a credit card who is 18+. i think your dad needs to catch up and live with the times :) you may find a debit card will also function without any problems - just make sure it is a VISA or mastercard.

12. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    dude, go be a kid while you still can before the box of light eats your soul.

13. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I know quite a few, one of which is @ChickenStudios. Great people.