Universal Sword & Penguin (by NorthernBytes / Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Stroffolino, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Another review!

http://www.yvestourigny.com/100wordblog/2014/7/23/100-word-review-sword-penguin

The 'lite' version consists of 16 new levels, that showcase the variety of content. Sword, Bow, Bomb, Nuke etc. are introduced one after the other. If anyone plays the lite, likes it, but is on the fence because they think it's too easy, let me know - we can hook the first few folk posting impressions for the lite version with a promo code to try the full version, which includes some uber-challenging action / puzzle levels.

We'd love to hear ideas for improvements/updates. Some things under consideration include:
    - quest mode, with huge zelda style dungeons
    - support for big (scrolling) gauntlet style levels
    - alternate puzzle mode where you play as bears

In the meantime, Sword & Penguin1.4 (IOS) and an OSX port are slowly working their way through Apple's queue.

2. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Here's a batch of promo codes for the currently available IOS version:

MAYPK7LH6L9T
    YYW6HJAK9YTL
    MFEL4MELXF6X
    69LX73JEWMK7
    MEME474JTNY7

I'm focused on different projects right now, but there will be at least one more major Sword & Penguin update before the end of 2014, with a free pack of extra levels.

If you like Sword & Penguin, please consider creating and uploading a puzzle or two. Enjoy!

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Took, MEME474JTNY7. On the surface this doesn't look like my kind of game but then I see it gets more gauntlet-ish in later levels which would be something I'd like.

Anyway, I'll give it some time and see how I like it.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Thanks Stroffolino! I got 69LX73JEWMK7.

5. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Holy moly. This game is the boss. Anyone that likes action puzzlers, speed runners, and so on need apply. It has a little gauntlet flair too. Yes that's currently me at #1 on speed running the first set of levels.

Guys and gals, this game is good. Definitely get the free version and then buy this one once you discover what I already know. I'm kind of kicking myself for taking a code.

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    claimed YYW6HJAK9YTL, will post impressions later today!

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Can't believe it was still there 11 hours later. Used MFEL4MELXF6X

Thank you sir!

8. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I played a lot more of this last night. Ended up finishing the second set of levels and worked a little to get to #1 on the leaderboard for em. All good stuff so far.

9. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    As promised, here are my first impressions :

+ the game has *very* cute graphics, and great music. The controls are good, with Dpad or swiping.

- But notice that when you move in a direction, it takes 1 second for the animation to complete, ie. the penguin to take "the step" before you can switch direction. That bothered me a little bit.

I played up to the 9th stage, but so far i didn't see any sword or fighting like i was expecting, just puzzle elements. When does the combat start? Also, my suggestion is going to the addition of a quest mode, with more emphasis on quest and combat and less on puzzles (yes, i like zelda but puzzles are not my forte :D ) with maybe penguin customisation options!

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    World 3 level 1.

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Ramzarules:
    Changing directions is a bit slower with swipe controls, because your finger needs to move a few pixels, but you can change direction instantly with dpad or mfi controller - movement and animation are independent.

If you're impatient, you can get an earlier peek at bombs, sword, bow, nukes, etc. in the lite version, or in the full game's creative mode. Creative mode includes a collection of user-created, user-submitted levels.

Appreciate very much the feedback on modes! S&P is a weird beast in that it contains a mix of puzzle and action levels. Some levels are more puzzly, while some are more actiony. You can skip levels (adjacent levels in the grid are unlocked).

There are at least two modes I've been wanting to add - a zelda-esque quest mode, and support for gauntlet style scrolling levels.

12. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thanks very much for the reply! Of course, after getting a code i consider the least i can do to give feedback and offer impressions! Indeed i used swipe, so i will try with the Dpad and the creative mode to find some action.

I really like the graphics, they are cute and very polished (also, the soundtrack) so if even one of those modes, zeldaesque or gauntlet gets added, it will be awesome! Just please consider giving us something to work for, like penguin customisation, upgrades, costumes, weapons etc.. :) I wish you success!

13. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Yeah, I'm also all for some alternate skins. If the game were re-skinned with a warrior.. or adventurer or something that would be cool. Still, even with cutesie graphics the underlying game is plenty fun.

14. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Played the first six levels so far and I'm really impressed with the quantity (160 levels) and the quality and charm this game has. It's one of the few times that I actually prefer the swiping over the dpad. Your swipes are across a circular area so imagine your using a roller ball controller at an arcade. Well done and the dpad works just as well. I can't wait to get deeper into the game to see the added tricks and harder puzzles. And boss fights in a puzzle games? Right on! I'll try to post some feedback after I vanquish a few. Awesome game and highly recommended to anyone looking for a sweet little puzzler. And I'm all for any skins or hats to collect. Cheers!

15. CygnetSeven

Feb 6, 2010
    Just three starred the first boss fight. Well done!!! A pity this game is not getting more attention. A great deal of fun. Thanks again.

16. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #36 Stroffolino, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2021
    Full version now free! There's single optional in app purchase, to let users watch a play-through for any given campaign or user-shared level, handy if stuck on a particularly devilish puzzle.

Recently updated, with key improvements including:
    - overhaul of "Creative Mode" an area for creating and publishing/browsing user generated levels.
    - you can now browse to "more from creator"
    - each user-submitted level now lists number of plays, wins, likes
    - top score (time to win) is now tracked per level across Game Center users