Explosion of retro games for the iPhone!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by richmlow, Jun 23, 2009.

1. richmlow

richmlow Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Research Mathematician
    I've been noticing an interesting trend with regards to iPhone games....a ton of very cool ports/remakes/emulation of retro games have been coming out. Taking a casual glance, one can see games such as Dig Dug, Pac-man, Ms. Pac-man, Frogger, Space Invaders, Galaga, Mine Runner (Lode-Runner), Missile Command, Centipede, Breakout, Vector Tanks (Battlezone), Bomberman, Archon, Pole Position, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, and countless others. We even have the possibility of a C64 'emulator' eventually being approved by Apple!

I think that this is great and I hope to see many more come out! Now, all we need is Tempest. =)

What do you think? What retro games would you like to see ported over to the iPhone? Or, what are your current favorite retro iPhone games? Or, do you know of any upcoming retro iPhone games?

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I would die to play Turrican (1 and 2) on the iPhone.

3. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

Meh! I am all for reviving great game play concepts but I think they need to be updated and not just the straight port/clones we have seen so much on mobile phones. We are working on a re-imagining of 80s coin-ops in the form of Space Ark (www.strawdogstudios.com/games/spaceark) which takes the Arkonaut concept and updates it to 3D (XBLA at the moment but other formats in the future).

Was really disappointed by Arkanoid Live (but at the same time pleased they made so little effort to update it).

4. Sceneshifter

Sceneshifter Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I for one am not liking this port the old days trend at all, rather see new stuff than get bored again after half an hour of nostalgic gaming

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I don't understand your argument. You don't have to like the classics but you don't have to buy anything you don't want either. There are plenty of new games in the store. Perhaps it is just a poor choice of phrasing. I, however, am thrilled to see my old favorites again. I just checked my library and I counted 49 retro titles (not including a few pongs.) And I always seem to have a full page of 16 at any given time.

6. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I had no idea ho much of a Retro fan I was until I started all this app store milarky. Centipede is my favorite of them all though. Pure genius: ) I love the games that are retro in style too like Eliss and Edge. Wonderful!

7. Jturbo

Jturbo New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Retro Games and remakes

If you like the retro style Old Arcade Feeling games you should Check out my latest 2 games Toy Raid and Swine Flu H1N1 Resistance.

These are both very big games with the Old Arcade style feel and similar in play to the old apple Ipod Parachute game and the apple 2 parachute game.

Some people think it's like Ganga Wars also.

But we had fun making these games so check em out.

These have upgrades and power ups and bosses which the originals didn't have.

John

8. This. So much this.

My lawn. Get off it. Now.

9. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Someone mentioned to the guys who are doing the Commodore 64 that they should do an Atari 2600 one (given the C64 app gets approved). To me that would be INSANE. I grew up on the 2600 and have been dying to play good ports of Joust, Pit Fall, Kaboom, etc. That would be my dream list.

10. Tipop

Tipop Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    The C64 app was not approved.