GOPHER - official Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SioSae, Mar 23, 2009.

1. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #1 SioSae, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    Hi there,

I am Silvio from SioSae Design and will anounce our first game for the iPhone/iPod Touch called

GOPHER, a remake of an old game I played as a young boy 20 years ago on my dad's KC 85/3.

The game includes game play elements from Boulder Dash(R), which is a registered trademark of First Star Software, Inc. Copyright (C) 1984, 2009 First Star Software, Inc. All rights reserved.

It is published with permission from First Star Software, Inc.

Features:
    - 80 levels (in three different Cave Packs)
    - monthly updates with all new Cave Packs
    - a classic old school in game design
    - an all new CAVE EDITOR to create your own levels
    - controls designed after the original keyboard of an old KC85/3
    - an automatic intelligent savegame mechanism
    - replay caves without changing your savegames
    - control the game by multitouch on the buttons or swipe from one button to another with one finger

- uploading and sharing of cave packs will become available with an update of the game later

a video showing the game in an earlier state (before the final name and graphic changes):
    Youtube (please watch in HQ mode)

here are some screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have fun,
    Silvio

Side Note: I had another thread here but due to ongoing negotiations and a resulting rename of the game I had to open this new and official thread.

2. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I start to think maybe I choosed the wrong time to release my game:
    During the GDC the whole attention is on this event and maybe also in apple's review team ;-)
    Does anyone know, how long a review and approval for release takes usually? I've heard apple have been taken "ages" to accept apps to the app store recently.

3. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Well, it seems like Chillingo will be co-publishing First Star's Boulder Dash, and that it will be coming out soon...so yeah, I'm not sure about the timing. I'm sure they told you about this during your negotiation with them though. You'll just have to find a way to convince people to buy your app instead of waiting for the one by First Star.

4. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yes they did. Not exactelly who and when. But you know there is promotional information about the release of Boulder Dash in my game too (as beeing part of the publishing agreement).

And about the convincing, thats a good point and having:
    - 80 completelly different levels by default(and not less in different difficult settings),
    - monthly releases of new levels and
    - a Cave Editor to create your own levels
    could be reason enough to grab my game too. The problem is getting enough attention anyway.

5. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  6. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    while waiting for the release (how long does the review take normally anyway?) i uploaded two more close up videos:

Game Play

Cave Editor

Cheers,
    SioSae

7. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i want this one so BAD :)

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Shortest time for normal reviews seem to be taking about a week (7 days-ish)

But there are several cases of them taking a bit longer.

9. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    And with 7 days you mean weekdays, right? I am just curious, but does updates take as long as first reviews too?

10. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    great! just recieved an eamil from apple that they rejected my game. and you know why? because the large icon doesn't match with the small one inside the binary. arrghh, i start to believe i will make every mistake possible to get the release of my own game delayed again and again. stupid me...

11. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    That's pretty lame. I hope it gets accepted this time! And yes, including weekends.

12. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The review process can so ridiculous especially for some of the games and apps that seem to get approved relatively quickly. Having to resubmit because of the logo is just irritating probably more so for you than anyone else.

13. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    i just hope that this is the only issue they have with it and thats not like they found one thing and reject it, now i get passed this issue they go on and maybe find the next thing and reject it again, and again and again, could end up in an endless story. so i just hope, i didn't make any more mistakes.

maybe someone can hint me with mistakes or common rejecting reasons so i can have another closer look if i made them wrong too :)

14. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Be sure to take out the nudity and blood first :p

Umm your not sending scores to a server are you? Kyper got rejected because the initials weren't encrypted.

Lite version get rejected all the time for not being up to standards.

15. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I already cleaned up the explosions of ghosts and removed blood and remaining body parts :) but oh i still have to remove the nude mode when starting my game after 10 p.m. :p

Thanks for the other infos, currently i am not sending scores and while thinking of a lite version release it wasn't negotiatable.

16. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    this morning there was a kind of an easteregg in my emails: my game is ready for sale...finally...here is the link

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305203919&mt=8

by the way, it isn't available in the us store because of the aggreement i have with First Star Software (worldwide release is coming in june), sorry for that. But you can get it in europe and i really hope you like it.

17. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    YES!
    but 3.99Euros? :(

18. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yes i know, but this was another compromise i had to make.

19. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i wanted this game so much... now i will wait for sale that will probably never come. :( it's so not fair. :/

20. SioSae

SioSae Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #20 SioSae, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
    Maybe there will be a sale but that's not entirely in my hands only, unfortunatelly due to the contract situation. :(

I would love to give away promotion codes but they are limited to the us store only and since it isn't released there i think there is no way of giving the game away for review purpose or promotion... :(