Kard Combat v.s. Ascension

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thesharkden, Jul 18, 2011.

1. thesharkden

thesharkden Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Alright, here it is. There has been a lot of debate on both games, but here is the true debate: Which game is better?

I have been playing Ascension for the past week, and figured I would also give Kard Combat a try. Although I have only been playing Kard Combat for about two days now, I am enjoying it. Which one do I like better? I am unsure as of now. Although I think the polish is spot on in Ascension, I sometimes feel that the games strategy and outcome is to random (which is the complaint for most). I also like how Kard Combat has taken the basic strategy of Orions, but cut out all the unnecessary bullshit. I'll also hand multiplayer experience over to Kard Combat for now. Which one has better artwork? Haha, kidding (Ascension).

If you guys have played both by now, which one do you like better? Or perhaps, do you hate em both and think Orions rules all?

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I like both, but I have the feeling I might settle for KC when they give better art for my ipad

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The only real similarity is that they both use cards.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Wait, I thought one used kards? :rolleyes:

5. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    this.

they are both completely different card game genres so comparing them isn't going to tell you anything but people's taste.

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Yes, one thing i did not say is that they are extremely different. Still, I love both but I see myself falling for KC more (probably because I took the IAP where I need to do the towers also)

7. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

They are completely different games which both happen to use a card paradigm. There is no "better."

8. BobbykRichardson

BobbykRichardson New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Played a lot

I've played about 8+ hours of both games (beat most towers this weekend, w00t)

I will say I believe Ascension will "stand the test of time", however, I also believe Ascension is more luck than strategy compared to Kard Combat. I can't tell you how many times I've lost a game of Ascension in the first 4 rounds all due to luck (enemy getting all the good cards, my initial strat just didn't work out). In fact I'd say most Ascension games are won or lost in the first 4-5 rounds.

Kard Combat is different in that I can usually turn the game around based on good strategy, simply because you have WAY more options.

Ascension, as much as I like it, is very much on-rails.

9. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    The free one! :D