World Without End by Steve Uy (Avengers Initiative, XMen)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by steveruy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. steveruy

steveruy Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Comic book guy/ game creator/director
    NY
    Yup, I agree with everything you said. For the backgrounds, I'm hoping we can get a lot of effects going, but since I'm not a programmer, I'm pretty much at their mercy if they say they can't do it. Simple things like water effects, lighting, flags billowing on the wind... I'm sure it can be done, but every programmer is different. If there's anyone here who knows enough about this subject that they can advise when my programmer is just making excuses, it would be a great asset to making this game better!

2. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    I was wondering, if anybody here is a programmer, knows their chops, and is interested, would you like to have a shot at overseeing the programming of the game?
    Basically, the programming of this game is outsourced overseas, I send the art, along with emailed instructions, and wait for a build for me to critique. The problem is, I am not a programmer, and half the time it sounds like computer gibberish. So what I need is someone who is interested in the making of the game (and you would have to be, cuz this isn't a paying gig!) to be included in all our back to back emails, who can speak their language, and report to me whenever a red flag is raised. Basically, be there to call out the programmers whenever they try to BS me with excuses!

The game is still early in production, so it is easy to catch up to everything. You'd get credited in the game, especially if you catch anything out of place happening! Depending on the outcome, I see "quality control" or "programming supervision" as the most likely credits.

I know this isn't typical for game programming, but half a year ago I was just a player and not a maker, so I know how interesting this proposition may be for some people, especially aspiring programmers here. Think of this as an open invitation for beta testing, except you will be here from the start, and, if you're especially interested in this game, you can ensure it is made to your satisfaction.

I'm not sure if I should be posting this up in the developers forum, but I'll just start here for now. PM me if you're interested in a spot.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I doubt you'll be able to find a programmer this easily. You can make a post in the services and trades section here and hope someone gets interested but I seriously doubt anyone will pick up your project just coz they saw it on the forums. You'll need to find good developers manually. Like Crescent Moon Games (Twitter / Forum). They've picked up quite a few games to publish from the forums. I'm not exactly sure how much programming stuff they do themselves though. Thats just an example. You gotta find someone on your own.

It would have been better if you posted this requirement earlier. Your game got covered on toucharcade and they could have included that you are looking for developers. That would have definitely gotten you quite a few offers.

4. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't looking for programmers, I already have them. I'm looking for people who are interested in following the process and just giving me their thoughts on it. Quality checkers, if I have to give it a name. If they're not interested, they're not interested, but it's an open invitation for anyone who is.

5. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Actually, on second thought, you're right. Why settle for quality checkers, if they're that good, I'll want them working for me straight up! I have posted an actual thread as you suggested on the services and trades forum looking for extra programmers. Thanks for the advice!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=102225

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434562&page=71

I'd also start that twitter account.

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Any news on this one?

How's the timeframe coming?

8. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    When when when itis out!?

9. Sai113

Sai113 Member

Jul 1, 2011
    WOW that looks really good!
    when will this game come out?:D

10. demonbasher

demonbasher Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    WHat's the update?

11. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Sorry for the wait, all.
    The last 2 weeks were extremely busy. I got rid of the original team of programmers (originally outsourced overseas) and got a new programmer in Canada. Progress has been great, I'm now running around the overworld and checking the collision, hopefully in the next two weeks we'll have the world map finalized, which would leave only the battles. Right now it's being programmed for sd first and the animations haven't been timed yet so until I get retina res and everything is looking more polished I'll hold off on a video (how do I record video off an ipod touch anyways?).

I'm currently adding more frames of animation, which is something I hadn't intended on doing before. I think I currently have more frames than Final Fantasy 4 has character and enemy sprites... too bad no one will ever notice unless they like to count frames! So content wise, this game will be just as big, if not bigger, than a console game, even if its length is shorter by its very nature.

I also have a new composer, and we've got the main theme recorded already. Hoping to do vocals at some point, but that depends on if we can find a suitable singer with zero budget left!

Still don't know how long the rest will take, I can't make any predictions since this is my first game, but I do hope to at least get the beta by the end of the year.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #32 arta, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    People may not count frames but they can tell when motion is smoother. You could try Display Recorder to get direct feed footage. Shame there's nothing to show now, a little video could have gone a long way.

And the game needs quite a bit more help on Kickstarter, so guys spread the word around!

And no matter how it ends we're all supporting your endeavour.

13. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Oh. 7 days left to go and about $14,000 more. About $2000 per day for 7 days...

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Yeah... yeah I know.

15. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Thought I'd put up a sample of one of the attack animations.

[​IMG]

High frame rates don't necessarily make the animation smoother, though. 4 frames of high quality will always look smoother than 12 frames of average quality. I'm a bit of an animation buff so I'm pretty picky about animation. Unfortunately animating has never been my strong point, hence my comic works. Hopefully this will turn out ok for my first shot at it.

Anyways with all the progress that's been made in the last few weeks I've been too busy to focus on kickstarter. Whether it somehow succeeds or fails I'll still continue this until I hit that wall, but I'll definitely keep a list of everyone who contributed back when this was still in its infancy!

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Animations look good, thanks for posting.

17. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #37 Yeater42, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    Class Progression and other questions

Hey, i'm very excited for this game being a huge SRPG fan. I had a few questions about the classes and abilities.

Will there be unique moves? (as in not what you would find in your average rpg)

Will there be class progression or prestige classes? (Knight to Paladin or Dark Knight)

Will there be in depth character customization from costumes to abilities to create a wide replay value?

I feel in many IOS rpgs devs go for what's already been done, this leaves long time gamers unsatisfied. Iv'e noticed all the unique things you've done so far from the open would style, to the more in depth frames. My question is will he fighting be as unique and specialized?

18. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    If by unique moves you mean something like limit breaks, then no, those tend to break a game's balance. A good example would be how much more difficult and balanced Lunar Silver Star Story was compared to the remakes which simply added a special move for each character and made the game too easy. When it comes to SRPG's having an overpowered move changes the gameplay too much.

No classes. You CAN recruit any enemy you see and bring one to battle with you, but you will be stuck with the main characters as this is their story. Since every character has a full range of skills to choose from, you decide which class they will be, in effect.

You will be able to equip certain items to immediately change your characters' skill/ action range, in addition to purchasing skills for them after gaining battle points. Visually, there will not be costume changes, since each character has upwards of 200 hand drawn frames each and changing any element, like the color of their shoe, requires redrawing each frame. These are not sprites and color swaps are done manually, one frame at a time.

19. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Donated some money via kickstart. Game looks good and hopefully we will see it in some form this year.

20. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ok sounds great, and very innovative.

Last question, is the game fantasy based, or more realistic? (Mages, magic vs. chemist, throws fire bomb)