[no name yet] Doodle Jump + Super Mario Bros = ??

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ombaudsman, Aug 26, 2013.

1. ombaudsman

ombaudsman Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Alpha tiles, no sound, alpha stage select, ...

Can be played entirely with accelerometer.
    Any impressions?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Looks cool. So it's a old school style platformer but you're always jumping? Interesting

And I don't mind tilt only controls, but just know that a lot of people are going to be asking for touch controls. The option to choose control schemes would take care of that. I'll be keeping an eye of this game

3. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    Thank you Bronxsta.
    No more comments? If it sucks, NP, just tell me. I'm still coding it from scratch on my free time! :)

4. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    It doesn't suck at all, quite the opposite really. It looks awesome! I definately think you should add an alternate control option. I lot of people seem to not like games that just use the acceleromater. :)

5. Bronxsta

Since the player doesn't have to worry about jumping, the simplest touch controls would probably just to have touch anywhere on left side to move left, anywhere on the right side to move right. No movement buttons to clutter the screen

So do you plan for this to be a causal game, more hardcore, appealing to both?

(I'm fascinating by indie game development, so it's cool seeing a project being developed from the beginning)

6. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    #6 _Max_, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Doodle Bros :D

Look interesting, only complaint is let the Bros walk instead of jump before he enter the door to next level.

7. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    Thank you guys. About Indie game development, for me, it's like crosswords and/or chess. Helps me keep my mind alive and kicking.
    I have a regular 9to5 job in Business(Product+Sale) at the financial services industry.

The funny thing about this game is that I'm using this software "Tiled" to create new stages. I had to create some small C++ tools to convert from their format to mine, but that was part of the fun. Now, even my two kids are creating new stages. But I don't know if I'll include those, because they love to create "almost impossible stages".

I hate to use those "ready frameworks" like Cocos2D, so, everything is made from scratch starting from Apple's iOS sdk. Graphics are generally from opengameart.org and Music I asked permission to a friend of mine from Spain: (http://www.gr87.com/)

About the suggestions,
    1) I'll add the character walk before entering the door (there's a bump right now).
    2) Not sure about the touch controls. Doodle Jump on blackberry (I had it in the past) works like that: touch left and right to move. Sucks really hard... And adding a virtual touchpad, IMHO there are several other options like that
    3) About casual/hardcore, I plan to make easier stages at the two first worlds and then going to medium, hard and really hard at the end. Maybe there will be a Boss at the end of each world. For the BOSS, the player might get a weapon and touching anywhere in the screen will shoot.
    4) About Doodle Bros, I really like the name, but, I don't pretend to use any doodle, so... I don't know what to use! :)

Keep suggestions coming, if possible....
    And if someone is willing to know more about indie development, I always like to share my experiences...

Best Regards,

8. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I like what you have shown us. I agree with the fact that the Doodle Jump touch controls blow. You could definitely make it a lot more refined though. Also what is the objective? Just to get to the end, or to collect all those droppings and get to the end?

9. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    well, up to now, yes. With a Boss at the end of each world. Most probably just like Bowser at Super Mario World for NES.

I haven't yet thought about a story.
    Up to now, you must get all keys to open the door.
    Enemies are spikes and a pipe (just like Mario) that throws a flame and/or an enemy.
    Other items are super jump and extra lives.

About the story, as Gryzor offered me the musics he made as a remake to the original MSX Penguin Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin_Adventure), I was thinking about a similar story:

Of course I would need to find/ask some free Penguin sprites.

Here's the music: http://www.msxblue.com/?tag=gryzor87&lang=en

10. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    By the way, all graphics are beta! :) Loading screen is from MSX version of Phantis:
    [​IMG]

11. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

#11 Cynuyt, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Cannot imagine if It mix, but i think will be a great game.

12. Bronxsta

Okay, a question: what does/how does having your character always jump add to the gameplay?

13. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    I wrote the answer three times here!!!!!!!! then I clicked by mistake on the page border and I was directed to one of the banners of touch arcade!!!! I'll write the answer on notepad first...

14. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    ok, here it is: CTRL+V:

Well, that's a subjective question, so, I can only give you my impression.
    After a few seconds, you find yourself playing the game just like the way people normally play Racing games on tablets and/or Smartphones. It's intuitive and after a while you're doing it automatically focusing on the player that's always in the middle of the screen.
    On larger maps, for example, when you have two distant platforms, you find yourself turning the device 90 degrees and quickly going back when you reach the platform. Just like doing a sharp turn trying to make the perfect line around it.
    I never found that kind of gameplay on a platform game.

As I said, that's only my opinion about it.

15. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    Anyone experienced with AD-HOC builds for alpha testing of gameplay?

16. emzdarlington

emzdarlington Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Is it going to be like Bean's Quest?

17. Meslomeslo

Meslomeslo Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    I like both doodle jump and super mario. i hope this game is same.

18. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    Weird, this is the first time I saw this game. I see that's an SMS game converted for iOS. Looks really good.
    But, I think the gameplay will be very different.

19. emzdarlington

emzdarlington Member

Aug 19, 2013
    #19 emzdarlington, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    Looking forward to seeing your final build, maybe you can get few inspired ideas from Bean Quest. Below is a link of Touch Arcade playing the game, they make a few good points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_IQ8tX0oo

20. ombaudsman

Jun 16, 2010
    Well, I'm the author of this game and I can tell you for sure that I just discovered Bean's Quest minutes ago.
    Truth is the concept of always jumping is the same, but, I have the impression that gameplay will be considerable different.
    I'm setting my goal to October 1st at the deadline for submission... Everyone around here should get free codes anyway, and then, you guys can tell by yourselves.