Borders or not?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gryphon23, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    I have a dumb question. Do you like a border on an app icon?

Just a few icons:

Attached Files:

2. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Depends on th eicon, like the old AG icon needed a border, the new one, not so much.

3. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    No, in fact, I think it takes away from the "appiness" of an app. The only one I've seen where it compliments the design, rather than hedges it in and distracts the elegant lines is Zentomino's gorgeous icon (as well as TanZen).

4. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    generally it's a bad idea but real racing and I dig it seem to have pulled it off quite well.

5. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Wow, thanks! I'm glad you like them! :)

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I prefer the icons to have borders and the "shiny" effect with the shading. It makes them look kind of like buttons. Otherwise, they look too "flat."

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    it all depends on the icon. If you have strong artwork a 1 or 2 px stroke of similar colors wouldn't hurt.

The geodefense ( I think ) icon for example is way too simplistic and looks like the game has low production value.

8. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I really don't like icons where they just leave the outside black so it is oddly shaped on the display - with that in mind I do like borders as it discourages that practice.

A bigger no-no IMO is having the app name in the icon ... as well as a couple of millimetres below ><!