Universal Tap Army - The First Lane-Based Arcade Shooter (BETA TESTING)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ElektronGames, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ElektronGames

ElektronGames Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    #1 ElektronGames, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Hi All,

We're the indie studio behind Toad Rider, and we're excited to announce our upcoming game: TAP ARMY - a fresh lane-based arcade shoot'em up game coming Sep 16th!

Tap Army is an intense arcade lane-shooter where you control an army of foure fighters against soldiers, tanks, and helicopters using awesome weapons!

Tap Army introduces a new control scheme to the shooting genre on touch screens. Instead of dragging and auto-firing, the user controls four fighters by tapping and holding different lanes.

[​IMG]

Press Kit:
    http://elektrongames.com/taparmy/press/

Official Trailer:

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hello!

Have this a shot on my 5S, and it ran great. No stutters or bugs or anything :)

The arts great, all the pixel-y explosions are charcaters are nice and fun

As for the gameplay, it seems to be walking a strange line. This game is reminded me more of a shmup than anything else. So the question is, are you hoping to make this a one-off quick arcade game? Are you looking to expand the game into something bigger?

If you're planning on the quick arcade experience, then the game is fine, looks great, plays great, simple to understand and a blast to play.

If you want to make the game a bit deeper, I would suggest to make it so that there is only 1 soldier who hops between the 4 lanes, allowing for dodging.

3. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback! We're going for a quick "one more time" arcade experience. Something you could pick up and play in seconds.

What's your high score so far?

4. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Fair enough, it's perfect for that ;)

And at the moment it's 217 (in the version with the SMG)

I actually never got the revolver, what was it like?

And the SMG is similar to the starting weapon, just faster shooting, right? That's what it seems like.

5. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    217 is pretty nice!

The revolver was similar to the smg but the weapon image and label were different. It didn't make sense because revolvers are usually slow.

Yeah, the smg is faster and stronger than the starting weapon.

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Cool!

Do you guys have any more plans for weapons? A sniper that's like a cross between the starting weapon and the laser would be cool

Oh, btw, I found a bug where if you tap 2 characters at the same time, they'll both shoot. But the second one will only shoot for a split second

7. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    Sounds cool! Yeah, we're considering adding more weapons in future updates.

Well, if you press and hold two lanes at the same time, it should consider the last pressed lane (the difference in time will be very trivial, but there will always be a difference). We kept that because it comes in handy when you switch between two thumbs. So you won't need to remove all touches from screen to press a new lane.

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Ahhhh, okay. In that case, that's a really smart way to do it

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Haven't read anything about the game outside of the PMs so my impression will be fresh. :)

The game's core play is solid. Tap a button to shoot down that lane, hold to auto-fire. Only one finger at a time. Various enemies come down each lane with different hit points and speed. You start each round with a revolver and can pick up other weapons that have different shooting properties. There's the fast firing mini gun, a strong laser, and the medium range imba flamethrower. A new weapon will randomly drop every so often and will replace whichever you currently hold. You get unlimited ammo so you can hold down the button to your heart's content. Just don't hit the random bombs or it's game over!

The control scheme is very simple. Only one lane can be firing at a time but tapping on another will fire instantly to compensate. There were times when I failed to fire because of the size and position of the buttons in relation to a comfortable grip of my device (iPhone 5). There are some improvements I'd like to suggest:
    - Allow sliding your finger across buttons to fire.
    - The above feature may require allowing each lane to become hot zones (i.e. dividing the screen vertically into 4) for firing instead of limiting them to buttons. At least implement this if you'd like to keep it a tapping game.

The guns have different attack power and firing rate. I may have lost the most number of times while having the mini gun equipped than any other weapon, including the revolver. My last game ended at 299 when I suddenly picked up a mini gun. Suggestions for weapons:
    - Mini gun: The firing rate may need to be improved or just a point more of damage.
    - Laser: crazy powerful. Maybe a longer cooldown per lane?
    - Flame: Sick. The short range means nothing. Make it shorter? Finite ammo? haha
    - Revolver: Spot on.

I can imagine new weapons but hopefully they're balanced to provide the same DPS or have interesting mechanisms. Limited use per pick up could be one thing.

I can imagine adding a reeeally slow uber mech enemy type with a ton of HP. Maybe even one that teleports forward or to the side like hit it once, it moves somewhere else.

Overall, it's a fun game. I just don't like that random factor for those sick strong weapons. If you manage to get only lasers and flame for some reason, you're golden.

Thoughts on upgrades and bombs?

10. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    That's what it is and does - ultra fast, congrats on that.

I like the new build way better. Exactly the few pixels we talked about and the right amount of speed is taken away.
    Result: score is up from 225 to 271.

I thought about flicking a grenade. Every fifty kills gets you one, wipe them off the screen...

Which route are you going: paid or free ?

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    So I just sat down and played this for literally a half hour staring, but my high score is still only at 221 :D

I just wanna say that this really is super addicting, and definitely captures the "one more go" gameplay. I let my girlfriend have a go and she enjoyed it a lot too

If this does well, I'd love to see a deeper spin off with upgrades etc.

12. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    Thanks for the detailed feedback Echoen! Comments below:

The screen is actually divided into 4 spaces, the buttons are just there to make it clear for users to press behind characters (some users tapped on enemies without them). Does failing to register touches happen often? there's a problem with iPhone generally, where it doesn't register a new touch if it's very close to an old touch.

We implemented sliding in early stages, but ended up removing them. The game was super easy as you just had to slide continuously and avoid bombs as they start appearing. We tried it with some players and it just made the game less challenging.

Yeah. Laser and flame are very powerful but short in duration compared to revolvers and mini guns. We added them as super weapons to give you some "break" during sessions. To balance it a bit: tanks require 2 hits by laser. As for the flame, you're right, we'll make it shorter.

Super cool idea :)

We're keeping it simple in this version. Might add some unlockables, missions, and rewards if things go well.

13. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    Glad to hear that! Grenade idea is nice but needs some thought on how would it be implemented without added complexity.

The game will be free.

14. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    Glad you're enjoying it. I'm sure you can reach 300 real soon ;)

Yeah. We'll consider a spin off if things work out well.

15. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Broke past 300 but my tap on a specific lane wasn't working again and killed it for me. Whatever wrong thing that happens appears to disable an entire lane (not entirely sure). Having trouble reproducing it but I use 2 thumbs to play.

Pause button?

Really hate the mini gun. Hate channeled attacks in general. Diablo 3 burst >>> channel lol

16. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    #16 ElektronGames, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    Doing our best to fix it! usually happens in near-by lanes and quick touches.

Yes, we're considering a pause button.

Btw, you should try the latest build. It's more balanced and has better collision boxes.

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #17 JCho133, Aug 18, 2014
    Im on the latest build and I'm having some responsiveness issues with the 2 middle lanes occassionally.

I think what's happening is I'll be holding on one of the middle lanes, then when I go to tap the other middle lane, my thumb lands a teeny bit on top of my other thumb, so it doesn't register as a new press, it merges with the old one. That's my assumption

18. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #18 Andre, Aug 18, 2014
    Looks so fun. May I be a tester?

19. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Looks like piano tiles on crack >:0 Cant wait for it to launch

20. ElektronGames

Nov 28, 2013
    We rolled out a new version that should be more responsive. We modified the spacing between lanes along with other changes such that the touch areas are not very close, especially the two lanes in the middle.

Pls give it a try and let us know if you still experience issues with the controls.

Sure. Testflight link: http://tflig.ht/1hmtlih