Duke Nukem 3D - FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by mrsamsa, May 17, 2012.

1. mrsamsa

mrsamsa Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Alberta

Duke Nukem 3D

V1.4 is here! Now supports "Drag to look" control…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details

V1.4 is here! Now supports "Drag to look" controls as well as dual stick!

THE ORIGINAL KING OF ACTION RETURNS!

With dozens of Game of the Year awards under his belt, Duke remains the King of Action. Larger than life action is what Duke is all about, mixed with humor and innovative explosive action in this 20+ hour game.

Los Angeles. Under attack by aliens intent on stealing our chicks for breeding. Duke Nukem springs into action dealing damage like only he can, making his "insightful" comments along the way. If you've never played a Duke game, this is your chance to see why he's been a fan favorite since 1991, with over 18 original Duke Nukem games since that time. Duke Nukem is not the typical faceless hero -- he's an in-your-face hero who has a personality that doesn't quit. Yes, it's a B-movie plot, but that's what makes it fun!

THE PRESS HAS ITS SAY!

Metacritic Player Rating: 9.4 of 10.

"It's the ultimate game for unleashing all your pent-up aggression. It is the most astonishing game we've laid our eyes on for ages! In fact, it makes pretty much every PC game we've ever seen - "Doom" included - like slightly dull. Honestly!" -- PC Gamer

"It's more inventive, and more entertaining, than "Doom." I know they've had long enough to get it right (but so have many others, who've tried and failed)." -- Computer and Video Games

"It's rare when a game comes along that really kicks your ass. With its free-flowing 3D action, over-the-top weapons, and ruthlessly attitudinal protagonist, Duke Nukem will have PC gamers worldwide rubbing their rumps with spine-tingling glee." -- Gamespot

"I couldn't stop laughing while playing this extremely enjoyable trip through what unfolds like a 1950's science fiction B-movie: Space Aliens Invade Earth for Women!...Duke Nukem has what most first-person shooters don't - character!" -- PC Gameworld

If you like Duke Nukem 3D, also be sure to check out Prey Invasion, based on the award-winning game by the makers of Duke Nukem.

Duke Nukem 3D (c)2009 3D Realms, Inc. All rights reserved. Developed by MachineWorks Northwest LLC.

NOTE:

You can get to the Controls and the Control Layout in-game by tapping the two icons in the upper right corner. Control Layout allows you to move the buttons and stick anywhere on the screen.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Aug 10, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (4)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

It appears to have an add on load, I'm not sure if that's new. also the newest update apparently borked the controls, but it's still Duke 3D for free.

Not quite as good a port as Wolf 3D, since it's controls are a bit more complex, but still it's Duke 3D.

2. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    For free?

Come get some!

(the game isn't that horrible, and for me the nostalgia makes up for it completely)

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't agree. The latest update (v1.2) has made the controls much more precise IMO. You have to get used to aiming with the left thumb while shooting with the right thumb, but they are much better than in v1.1.

I think the graphics have also been sharpened. Maybe they've defined a higher resolution in this version? For me it looks much better now. I reinstalled it last night after the update, and after having uninstalled it many months ago. As I said, IMO it plays much better now. And you can also move around all the controls to where you want them.

4. mrsamsa

mrsamsa Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Alberta
    Cool. I'd never played this version, I was just looking at reviews after noticing that the app description told you how to config the controls, but those options were absent. Glad to have a more informed opinion.

5. chess

chess Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2011
    I found it pretty much unplayable due to frame rate, but I have a 3GS, so that might be the problem. Definitely a slide show.

6. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    controls couldnt be worse on this game. they need to look at some gameloft games.

7. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    basically they need to implement gyro for looking around, and continue from there.

8. Borgqueenx

Feb 1, 2010
    no. they need to make it one stick, and second part no stick but swipe to look around and then tap right side to shoot. simple, good, no worries.
    right now its clunky weird and not intutive and you get killed all times becuase of the controls.

9. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    #9 EfratBarTal, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    i like the gyro. i could totally play this game with gyro. stick on the left side for strife, tap anywhere right side to shoot , left side swipe up/down to change weapon, two big buttons on bottom right for jump and crouch, and a small button on the left just above the stick for action/open. then for using items either a knob on the upper right corner or a swipe left/right gesture on the up-most side of screen. can kick with tap on left side too. missed anything?

[​IMG]

10. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I wasn't expecting this game to be updated, it is nice to see it got some attention from the devs.

So I reinstalled the game today and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. Controls finally make the game playable, and they are not that bad as I was afraid after reading comments here and on iTunes. The game is definitely more enjoyable than before. Yes, the UI is still crowded, but it is totally customizable, you can move buttons where you want + change sensitivity of looking around in the options menu. I’m using joystick on the left to move around/strafe, center swiping to look around and modified position of buttons placed on the right side of the screen. Works great.
    Maybe it is easier for me because I played 50+ hours in Mission Europa which had similar, a bit complicated controls, so maybe a matter of experience ;)

I'm playing on a non-jailbroken 3GS, iOS 4.3.3 - framerate is easily around 30fps all the time, no matter what is going on on the screen.

Anyway, great update for a great classic. For free I really don’t see a reason why anyone shouldn’t pick this up.

11. Borgqueenx

Feb 1, 2010
    and it also sucks they didnt took time to look at the ipad version :(
    gaming on ipad is so much better then on a iphone imo :(

12. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    The iPhone version has been updated again. Control saving works now, and the ad was removed. After rearranging the controls to my taste, I'm enjoying this. I hope the TA staff will update their article accordingly.

13. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Free again.

14. mustPushCart

mustPushCart Active Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Ahhh the nostalgia!

15. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    This would have been nice if the controls on the port weren't utter ****...even after tweaking it.