Please bring back the iPad forum

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GaZ-OiD, Feb 24, 2014.

1. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I think the iPad forum inconveniences more people than not having it does.

It's generally better to deal with avoiding topics that you consider irrelevant than to have to go to an entire section that's allegedly irrelevant to find topics that are relevant. Plus even with that section, a lot of people gaming on iPads still wound up perusing the iPhone/Pod section more than the iPad exclusive section anyway.

2. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I prefer it the way it is now. Having an iPad forum that didn't have universal games in made no sense to me - if you had an iPad you had to look in two forums to find all the relevant games, now you only have to look in one.

3. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    There should at least be a filter in the iPad app to find info on subjects that interest me/us

When I go to a fruit shop, I don't have to search through apples to find oranges lol :)

4. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Maybe not many people use the app so they aren't aware of the problem yet? I don't understand why anyone would use an app or a mobile site instead of visiting the desktop version of a website on an iPad, I suspect the iPad app gets a lot less use than the iPhone one.

5. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I do prefer the app but it never gets any love (updates) so maybe it's time to move back to the website which I think is cluttered and ALSO needs an overhaul in terms of design but that might just be me

6. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Slow internet speeds makes app a lot faster than the website.

7. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    The App is faster and the layout better, could still do with improvements but given the choice and a filter..... I would sooner use the app

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Apps for websites just irritate me I guess - why use something that doesn't offer me the full content the websites does (for example, the toucharcade app not offering the choice to view just the iPad topics, which you can do on the website) and that uses up my storage.

I've got the slowest + cheapest internet connection my internet provider provides, and the pages of this forum load in about a second. Even if the app loads pages instantly that still wouldn't sell me on it.

9. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    The app is far tidier and easier to find things than the website. While there was an ipad forum I had no complaints

If they put in a filter I would have no complaints.

Of course I can now use the website and will but I don't see the reason for getting rid of the iPad forum. So it has limited use? Does that harm anyone? Was it giving anyone extra work keeping it open? Was it costing TA a fortune to run?

It was simply change for change sake imo and should have been left alone

Rant over lol :)

10. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    But when there was an iPad only forum, you still had to check the iPhone threads, because almost all games are universal these days, right? If you only checked the iPad forum you would miss the vast majority of games.

11. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Very fair point!

But I think there are games made specifically for the iPad and I would imagine more and more will be with screen size on mobile limiting more complex user interfaces and those games should be easily flagged and identifiable

The iPad is an entity in its own right with a selection of its own games, it should not be mixed in with mobile devices imo if you can't filter them out (in the app)

12. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #32 Lazer Kat, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    There is no filter option when using the app on my ipad
    And yes, I prefer the app 10 to 1, over the browser when on my iPad.

Too bad the app is so unreliable