Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#21 Der-Kleine, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
    Better than Fingerprint + Scratchmagnet though I guess (I'm looking at you, iPod...)

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Everything is a scratch magnet if you scratch it. My iPod screen is perfect.

3. Der-Kleine

Not the screen, the back. It is pretty much impossible to keep that scratch free. I bet that isn't the case with what I'm assuming is plastic on the back of the Vita.

By the way, this channel seems to have some pretty good videos showing what the Vita does: http://www.youtube.com/user/skyghene22/videos (And the dude there talks in english!)

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    O
    Thats true...I have a silicone case on my ipod so that helps, but it still has a few small scratches. Hoping to get the same for the Vita, although the back won't be protected fully because of the touch panel.

5. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I'm not sure if I get this at launch.. I might wait a few months. It might be what 3DS was months ago. The games I'll probably be most interested would be Uncharted and BioShock...

With the cost of $249.99 (?) and possibly $40-$60 games (+ accessories), I would be looking at $400+ spent. I would have liked it if it were $199.99 (?).

6. Der-Kleine

Mobile games are usually cheaper than that though, right? (I mean 40$ max)
    And if the rumors are true, then downloading games via PSN will be like 30% cheaper...

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #27 MidianGTX, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
    Oh yeah, the back's a bit scuffed up. I don't care about that part though, it just makes it look like somebody owns it :)

I wouldn't get the Vita at launch either, despite my hopes it'll finally provide console quality gaming on the move. The best-looking launch games to me are the ones which already exist on PS3 anyway. Stuff like Uncharted and Wipeout, which aren't quite as fun as a new IP, and while a couple of new games have been announced, it's way too risky getting excited over those when looking back to the likes of Red Steel for the Wii. They could quite easily be considered utter crap by this time next year.

It's the same story for all consoles though, hold back until the library is significant enough to make it worth your money. Nothing is more important than a good selection of games.

8. Der-Kleine

Well atleast you can buy PSP games for it, wich is good for people like me who really want to play the Ace Combat games for the psp, but don't want to buy an outdated console. I see what you mean though, because if you're buying it only for the Vita games waiting is probably the best idea.

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    This guy's youtube channel has a lot of good PS Vita videos(in english!!!!).

He has the standard unboxing vid, but he has other vids showing off how the Vita plays PSP games, remote play, web browser, PSN store, and other neat stuff.

10. Der-Kleine

LoL, I already posted a link to his channel on this verry page.

11. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    lol, I think that's how I found out about his channel.

I wasn't sure if it was here or on Kotaku. Guess it was here :p

Edit: AND it was just a post away from my post haha, my bad.

12. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Wow the main interest in the Vita seems to be if it gets scratched easily :(

My main concern right now are graphics, I get the feeling there are right now many japanese games that look like slighty enhanced PSP stuff. So right now it is easy for me to wait another 3 month to see the big guns released.

Dont think it will have a huge advantage over iPad 3/iPhone 5 graphically, but for me it is all about great graphics/franchises PLUS buttons PLUS innovative (back) touch controls.

13. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    Very solid ratings in Famitsu :) Uncharted seems to get some great reception in Japan

Uncharted Golden Abyss (PSV, Sony): 9 / 9 / 8 / 9 - (35/40)
    Dynasty Warriors Next (PSV, Koei Tecmo): 9 / 9 / 9 / 8 - (35/40)
    Touch My Katamari (PSV, Bandai Namco): 8 / 9 / 7 / 8 - (32/40)
    Army Corps of Hell (PSV, Square Enix): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
    Minna no Golf 6 (PSV, Sony): 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 - (34/40)
    Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11 Hitome no Suspect (PSV, ChunSoft): 9 / 9 / 9 / 8 - (35/40)
    Virtua Tennis 4 (Power Smash 4) (PSV, Sega): 9 / 9 / 9 / 8 - (35/40)
    Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen (PSV, Spike): 8 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (31/40)
    Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend (PSV, Arc System Works): 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 - (34/40)
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PSV, Capcom): 8 / 8 / 7 / 8 - (31/40)
    Dark Quest Alliance (PSV, Ubisoft): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
    Lord of Apocalypse (PSV, Square Enix): 9 / 9 / 8 / 8 - (34/40)
    F1 2011 (PSV, Codemasters): 8 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (28/40)
    Asphalt: Injection (PSV, Konami): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
    Michael Jackson Experience (PSV, Ubisoft): 7 / 7 / 6 / 7 - (27/40)

14. ^ Those are confirmed to have been faked.

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    PlayStation Vita Launch Lineup and Details

There will be 25 games available on day 1, and in total more than 100 games currently in development. Pricing for all software will range from $9.99-$49.99 (MSRP) and will be available for purchase at retail locations as well as downloadable on the PlayStation Network.

"PS Vita Software Lineup:

SCEA Launch Day Titles
    Escape Plan (PSN Only)
    Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
    Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
    Little Deviants
    ModNation Racers: Road Trip
    Super StarDust Delta (PSN only)
    UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
    wipEout 2048

Launch Window Titles
    Gravity Rush
    MLB 12 The Show
    Reality Fighters
    Unit 13

Third Party Publisher Launch Day Titles
    Army Corps of Hell Square Enix, Inc.
    Asphalt Injection Ubisoft, Inc.
    BEN10 GALACTIC RACING D3 Publisher of America
    Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND Aksys Games Localization, Inc.
    Dungeon Hunter Alliance Ubisoft, Inc.
    Dynasty Warriors Next Tecmo Koei America Corporation
    F1 2011 Codemasters
    EA SPORTS FIFA Soccer Electronic Arts, Inc.
    Lumines Electronic Symphony Ubisoft, Inc.
    Michael Jackson The Experience Ubisoft, Inc.
    Plants vs. Zombies (PSN Only) Sony Online Entertainment LLC
    Rayman Origins Ubisoft, Inc.
    Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Tales of Space: Mutant Blobs (PSN Only) Drinkbox Studios
    Touch My Katamari Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 Capcom Entertainment, Inc.
    Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition Sega of America

Launch Window Titles
    LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 Warner Bros. Interactive Ent. Inc.
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention NIS America, Inc.
    NINJA GAIDEN ∑ PLUS Tecmo Koei America Corporation
    Ridge Racer Namco Bandai Games America Inc.
    Silent Hill Book of Memories Konami Digital Ent. America, Inc.
    Supremacy MMA: Unrestricted 505 Games"

16. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think I'll have to get Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational I have hot shots golf 2 on PSP and it really is a brilliant little game you can never really get bored with.
    I booted it up a few months back and online is still full of players.

Also definitely going for Wipeout and I usually end up buying ridge racer on every system I still love that game. Disgaea I'll get as well because I know it's playability is nearly endless and the story's are usually pretty fun.

Marvel vs Capcom is also quite tempting but I still want SF v Tekken so I might skip that.

Lot's of good titles on launch though.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The sales statistics of the PS Vita in Japan for the first few weeks of its release are absolutely embarrassing. It's looking to be more of a flop than the 3DS was during the launch month. Another imminent price drop coming?

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not so sure. The 3DS could get away with it because it was still making a profit after the drop, but the vita seems to already be at a low point. You could make the argument that the money would be made up from game sales, but looking at the price of the games, I don't know how much they're going to sell.

19. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16392275 Nope. Go down to the smartphone gaming sub-heading.

20. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #40 dumaz1000, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    The sales figures in Japan for the Xbox 360 are absolutely embarrassing. Yet, the 360 is and, since day 1, has always been the highest selling premium console system in the U.S.

I don't know what the deal is but gaming in Japan has always been a little goofy/eccentric. They don't go for the same kinds of so-called hardcore/dedicated games that tend to thrive in America. Nintendo has always been on the forefront of unconventional gaming. In Japan, that model almost always thrives. In America, the reception tends to be lukewarm. The Vita is selling itself as the most dedicated/hardcore portable gaming system of all time. Whether it is or not is a different story. Sony want you to believe it is, and that type of a marketing strategy in Japan isn't likely to fly. Same reason why the 360 can't find traction in Japan. They strive for quirky and different. In North America, we are looking for tried and true. Two entirely different cultures. Nintendo will alway rule in Japan. In the U.S., Nintendo is pulling up the rear, at least in terms of mainstream recognition.