developing games on windows?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mflc, Dec 3, 2009.

1. mflc

mflc Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    playing idevice games all day...and all night
    The North Pole
    Is there any way to develop iphone/ipod touch games on windows?

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Short answer: no
    Long answer: Maybe, if you had some sort of virtual environment set up. I tried that route, and it was terribly slow on my machine (running virtualized OS X). Someone who knows what they're doing might have more luck.

You may also check out the Unity engine. It allows porting games to iPhone, as well as a standalone browser plugin. I believe the IDE works for Windows and Mac. You MIGHT be able to write the game and test it on Windows, but AFAIK the only way to actually transfer to your iPhone or upload to the App Store is with a Mac.

I was in a similar position and I spent $550 on a Mac Mini for iPhone dev -- haven't regretted it.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You could make a Flash game in Windows... I dunno what you'd need to port it over though, and let's face it... it's probably just not as good.

4. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland
    To entirely develop iPhone games on Windows is not realistic, you need a Mac in the chain at some point. You can however do a significant amount of development on the Windows platform.

From what I've read, Minigore is developed mainly on windows, the gameplay videos are captured on windows and they use an XBox 360 joypad to control the game.

The new book iPhone Game Projects, edited by Dave Mark, has a chapter on developing cross platform games. It might be worth taking a look at it.

5. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Flickitty is mostly developed on Windows. It is 99% C/C++ and only uses Objective C to bind the necessary things to OSX. We use equivalents to OSX that are used in Windows.

However, a Mac is still required.

6. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    we use a cross platform development environment - pretty much like flickitty mentioned; we developed a lot of our games on linux and windows.. we also have builds for mac osx (native) but the end result needs to be compiled using xcode; you need their signing tools built into xcode for releasing on the app store.

7. Picticon

Picticon Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Same here, 95% of Besiegement was developed on Windows using Visual Studio for the superior (imho) environment and debugging tools. But the last 5% still has to be done on a Mac.

I couldn't stand xcode... even after remapping most of the keys. The home key should take you to the beginning of text on the line, not column 1. grrrr:mad:

8. sumiguchi

sumiguchi Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Developer (Business Apps)
    Canada
    lol my favorite is that control+c takes you to the last line.... apple+c of course does a copy

9. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    no point to waste money on another computer if you already have a PC.. just install OSX86...

10. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Very curious -- are you using C++ instead of Obj-C to write the game? Or how is that you're able to use Visual Studio? I absolutely HATE XCode, and would be much happier in Visual Studio or Eclipse.

11. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

That one still gets me.

12. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Try a hackintosh. Google it to find out more. It's a mac u Can install on a PC. Also it's free with full features of a mac

13. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It's illegal, unsupported, and unreliable. I wouldn't use it honestly…

14. If you want to prototype in Windows, you can use Torque2D. But you'll need a mac to build the actual iPhone app.

15. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Well I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but it's not illegal or any more unreliable than a regular mac, if you set it up right. It is unsupported, but heh, so is any other form of iPhone dev on Windows.

16. Picticon

Picticon Member

Nov 19, 2008
    C++. Obj-C and Obj-C++ can be freely mixed with C and C++. Just rename the files to have a .mm extension to compile using C++. Then you can mix in standard .cpp files.

I built two shells, one in OSX and one in Windows, that create the window/view, setup OpenGL and translate touches/mouse movements. The core portion of the game (95%) is shared with an occasional #ifdef to do OS specific things.

I can then use Visual Studio to code and debug the vast majority of the game.

I also set up a Synergy environment to control my Mac and Windows box using the same keyboard and mouse. So when it comes to the Mac work and final builds/debugging, I can flip between the two machines seamlessly.

17. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    It's illegal to download the hacked version of OS X.

18. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    I don't think you need to rename the files to compile the C++. You can use Get Info in xCode to override the file type settings. That is what I do.

We do most everything on the PC and only do final builds and device specific debugging on the Mac/device.

19. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009

Eclipse??? pls tell me ur joking..

Xcode is like a billion times better than the bug-fest, crash-ridden piece of shit called Eclipse.
    I used Eclipse at work and its ****ing horrible. Dont get me wrong, Xcode is not great, but at least its stable. WHile Eclipse just drive you fuking mad.[/rant]

20. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Um... I don't know what version of Eclipse you're running, but I've been using Eclipse(Flex Builder) for 3 years in my day job and I absolutely love it. I wish Xcode could do half of the things that Eclipse can do(ie. moving lines up and down with keyboard shortcuts). If yours is "****ing horrible" you must just have it set up wrong. Seriously.

Anyway, the tip above about using Synergy is also very good. Synergy is an amazing piece of software. I do all of my graphics work on a beastly quad-core Windows PC and all of my coding on my macbook, but with synergy + svn, it feels like one computer. It's a sweeeeeet setup!