Need a bit of artwork

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Sambo110, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Hey,
    I need some artwork for my platformer type game. It is a ball rolling game, and all I really need would be some good textures and backgrounds for the levels. My question before anything is, how much? I don't have much money, so I am wondering how much it would be for art. Thanks.

2. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    Think you have to give us some more info. Number of sprites/tiles, size, style...

3. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Before looking for people to help you, you have to name your company, name your game, draw yourself a basic sketch of what you want the main character to look like so that your artist can have a place to start, find a music guy, a coder, etc. etc. etc. People really don't want to help on a project that's going nowhere. When I started I had a plan, so I had people to help me. If I were you I'd go with my company or iPwn Gamez. We're both new companies in the app store. We don't have any games out yet, but we both have plans and games in the works. Plus we have both paid the $99 dev fee that it costs to put apps on the App Store. BTW, will this be anything like Bounce On? I love that game. :D

4. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    talking from experience? we've barely seen this from you or ipwn gamez so far :) no offense; but you get what you pay for - if you want a good artist; it'll cost a decent sum of money and they will want previous work examples to show that you can do it. why would someone join a consortium of 14 year olds who haven't proven to produce anything yet?

there are plenty of art people around - if you have a budget, you might get something serious. we (mobile 1up) are more developers than art guys - so, we also outsource our art - but, it typically requires a budget of $2500+ US for a decent sized games (and, thats cheap). the $99 developer fee is the smallest cost - and remember it costs $99 per year.

5. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I don't want to speak from iPwn Gamez. The only thing I know about them is that their air hockey game is in coding, if they are indeed telling the truth, which is the only reason I mentioned them at all. Of course I mentioned myself because my game is in coding as well. Even though good games can cost thousands of dollars to make, and many of them do, they don't have to. You can make an incredibly awesome game and only have to pay the dev fee. And yes, I am speaking from experience. Unless you can do art, or coding, you're going to want to go with a company making their first game or that has only one game out. They'd be more likely to help you out and help you build you game than ones with 10 games out. Plus, then you could be a part of their company and help them build their future games, and maybe they'd help you with your second game as well, should there be one. You can always let Chillingo, or a company like Chillingo publish your game, but then they're often thought of as the creators of it and you aren't really recognized as the actual dev.

6. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    how does that add up?

i have 9 applications on the store (submitted 16, 7 have been removed (nintendo issues)) - but just because i have that many apps it doesn't mean i am unable to work on new games. your logic doesn't make sense there.. if anything; i have 16x more experience with releasing a functional application than the "newbie" who is just getting started. experience always has value.

it depends on the case.

it wasn't mentioned anywhere that the original poster wants to form a group; or if he already has a structure in place - and is just looking for work-for-hire. with my artists; i pay them for their work, get or share the rights to the artwork and business goes on as usual. if i need them again; i call on them. not everyone wants to join a cool group of people - some just want art.

7. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I mean that when you have a company like Freeverse or Gameloft or a company like that, they have their own projects and don't have time for indies. On the other hand, indies always have time for other indies, as indies know what it's like to not have anyone to help them, so they have respect for this new person. They also have the time to do it. Gameloft comes out with 10 high-quality games a year, while indies have 2-3. Plus, when you work with a big company, they often want to take over the project. And when you work with indies, you have more of a say in it.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gameloft simply wouldn't reply to the topic... or even read it.

9. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    lol, that's true, I just wanted to use them as a base because they're the best company in the App Store. Actually, they might reply to it, of course you would have to have made a game as good as Avatar, lol. They'd be more likely to reply if you wanted them to publish it though their sub-branch that also published Penguin Fever and such.

10. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    wtf? your joking right?

they may be a polished developer; but i wouldn't call them the best developers in the app store - they outsource all their development to countries like india etc; effectively not hiring local people for development = not good for the job market. just because a company has a big marketing budget; it doesn't make them good.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I didn't wanna be the one to say it :rolleyes:

I actually just listed them in the Lounge topic about favourite developers, under "Not too keen on:".

12. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Well I can think of a few that are comparable, but they just don't have as many releases. Touch Foo, TrueAxis, Rocketcat Games, etc.

13. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    He's not looking to join a group, it sounds like he just want some cheap (in expense) textures. I don't know much about this, but you may be able to find some cheap, royalty free textures on the internet if you don't need anything too artsy.