Universal Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage HD (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 20, 2013.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

You just need to get a bit further into the game ;)

2. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Why so fancy?
    The plain old achievement point reward for putting in the effort to get coins and the plain old high score to play with friends would suffice. Simple and enhances the game so much.
    These days, with so many games being released every week id rather play something my friends are playing and we can talk or brag about.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have now and I am glad to see the par system implemented. On some levels, I am not able to achieve both rescuing the men and getting the chest within par. I have found that the game will allow you to rescue the men within par and use another turn with extra cuts to get the men and the chest. You end up with awards for both but is it possible to do both actions within par? In some levels it seems hopeless to me.

The puzzles are quite ingenious in this game. Fantastic!!

4. ThreadbareConnor

ThreadbareConnor Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Associate Producer
    Oakland, CA
    i would enjoy this

game looks very strategic. ill have to give it a play

5. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Am I missing something? Who's selling this game? Rovio Stars or Nitrome? Or both??

Attached Files:

6. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Both.

But it seems that Nitrome is the one selling the HD version.
    Bought the SD version from Rovio stars.

7. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    The HD one is universal.

8. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The hd version has a shop where you can buy powers using iap eg real money . The other version does not have iaps?

9. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Both versions were both sold by Rovio stars at launch but Rovio have agreed to transfer full control back to us the developer. We are having some problems transferring the non HD version which were working on fixing. We recently made the HD version Universal and when we get both versions to the Nitrome account we will be adding a huge new pack update set inside a giant Kraken.

10. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Thanks for the reply. I was sure I had bought the game from Rovio initially, so this clears up the confusion.

11. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    @ Nitrome: was this game optimised for retina ipad?

12. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    The game uses pixel art which doesn't really scale except by set amounts so yes we up the resolution that the game is being displayed but as the pixels are the same size it does not really look much different to the non retina version.

There are some differences depending on the device you use but most are to do with physical scale of the display rather than pixel density of the display. For example there is a lot more visible map on the iPad compared to iPhone. On iPhone we concentrate on what's important and cut the map edges to leave the interactive elements larger on the screen. On non retina iPhones we did new sprites for when the game is zoomed out so there was some work from a display perspective too.

Having said all this I don't think there is anything of note that is visually different between the retina and non retina versions on iPad.

13. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    The Kraken update (HD universal version is being released in 2 days on May 7!) It is a free update that contains more levels and it fixes GC achievements. Definitely check it out if you haven't.

14. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    And I noticed a price drop too!

15. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    New Kraken Pack is here!

The New Kraken Pack is here!

Features:

All new ‘Kraken’ levels pack
    Almost 50% new content (40 new levels)
    New enemy types
    New branching map with side routes
    New characters
    Find out what happens next in the story
    New missions
    All new Boss fight
    HD version is now called Universal on iOS (and is Universal)
    Now supports Cloud saving (Universal Build only)

Get it here:

Universal
    iPhone only

Universal version is on sale for a very limited time!

16. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Visually this game is a "miss" for me on my iPad2: the scenes have tiny details, but also are very pixely. Also, I don't like two-finger scrolling (panoramic scenes). It feels awkward and tiresome to switch between one-finger cutting and two-finger scrolling (call me lazy). Lastly, the game should have a leaderboard on number of cuts or something like that.
    Maybe I'm comparing it too much to another "cutting" game that I liked very much Hungry Turtle that doesn't have these issues. It's too bad, the puzzles of Viking look really interesting

17. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Well I've finally bought this game and so far it has exceeded my expectations. It is so much better than the original flash version! Love the idea of collecting coins and the goats as well!

I can see it's absolutely packed with levels. And if there are level packs for purchase I'll probably get those too.

18. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @saosijsThe game uses pixel art...so it's supposed to look pixely as you put it. Also there is something very important about the number of cuts you get a little bit into the game it will become apparent. You have me on two finger scrolling...not a lot I can say to change your mind there but you would get used to it pretty quick if you persist and it was necessary to have scrolling levels in order to make some of the more interesting puzzles. I hope you will give the game another shot :)

19. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I'm loving this game so far. I like puzzle games & so this fits in with that. Unique gameplay & lots of levels. I am looking forward to seeing what else it has in store for me. Visually its cute not amazing but thats ok. Dialog is kind of funny at times. I just hope it doesn't need a precise cut as i go farther on. I hate when a mm off means youll never pass a level & the game is over because you cant go on. So far i think itll be a great game.

20. kra096

kra096 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Student
    Brazil
    Thanks for the update Nitrome! Now I can play at iOS 5! :D:D:D