Universal Robot Unicorn Attack 2 - (by [adult swim])

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Sef

Sef New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    After playing this game for a few weeks, I think I've become addicted to it (I sometimes just leave the app open so I can listen to Module's background music), but also being brand new to this game and even this genre of game (endless runner), I would like to share two particular thoughts related to my experience with the game.

1) As a newbie to the game I would have REALLY appreciated some instructions and some way to review instructions.

For example, how, exactly, do you complete the x3, x4 multiplier etc Goals?

The game is vague about the how-to; all I was ever told in-game was that the hoops have something to do with it. It wasn't until I searched online that I got the full answer which is, "You need to jump through multiple hoops without ever touching the ground to qualify for the multipliers."

Given how that was a daily community goal a couple of days back, I would have really appreciated knowing how, exactly, to go about tackling the goal. As is, up until a few minutes ago, I've sat here with that x4 multiplier staring at me in the face taunting me.

And yes, I felt VERY stupid once I figured out how to complete the goal.

And no, it wasn't easy to simply find 3 hoops to jump/fly/dash/a combination of the above through all in a row. Why? That's related to my second thought down below.

2) No, there aren't any pay walls per se, but there ARE 'you're going to be stuck if you're bad at this game' walls.

I love this game for a lot of reasons and I am also bad at this game; my highest 3-wishes score is around 70K and I consistently struggle with maneuvering past the 15K mark even with practice.

As a result, I've had multiple 'Dash X number of Giants' goals sitting in my way to gaining levels.

I know you can pay tears to get past the goal, but that's like those games where 'If you can't breed XYZ creature to fulfill ABC goal, you can PAY your way through!'

Maybe I'm an odd breed of an RUA player - someone who SUCKS at this game but loves to play it anyways for the music, scenery, and experience (minus the sucking), but I'm beginning to really not like how I'm being stonewalled from gaining experience because of a goal I can't complete because I... well... suck at this game.

Without being able to advance to the further distances (past 20K), it's really difficult to gain tears and encounter enough Giants to fulfill the goals that require them - especially the ones that require fulfillment of goals within a single wish. Right now, even 9 Giants would be a major major accomplishment for me.

450-1000 tears probably sounds like diddlysquat to most people, but if you're not good enough with the game to advance far enough to earn/collect more tears, then it's a lot. Furthermore, if you keep using tears to advance, the goals are only going to get more difficult so really, it's NOT really a good answer.

I don't mind supporting the game (I bought the soundtrack fairly early on in my playing), but I don't like feeling like I'm being specifically penalized because I'm not exactly a good runner who has fast reflexes and great hand-eye coordination.

It's frustrating to see multiple 'Dash X Giants per Y Specifics' goals sitting in my goals list untouchable and unbeatable while my time spent playing the game earns me little else besides a few extra tears.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it would be nice to earn experience in some other ways other than JUST those goals. The goals are great for those who are skilled enough to push past them, but for those of us who are less skilled but who also spend quite some time on the game, it can be something of a downer.

I try, I really do; I try different equipment, I try different routes, I try dashing and jumping more, I try flying more, I try simply running more, I try different levels, I try to really remember where certain obstacles are, I try not bothering with collecting anything at all and just running...

But if I don't fulfill THOSE Goals - and man, let me tell you, I'm not smashing through 15 Giants in 3 wishes anytime soon - I won't earn any kind of experience whatsoever that goes towards leveling up.

I feel 'stuck' and though I know I could pony up the tears to get past those goals, what good is that going to do in the long run if those goals are indications of what I will need to fulfill in the future to level up?

This game is free, but at the rate I'm going, it's really beginning to feel like it's only 'free' for those who are experienced and skilled in playing this game.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, the ending credits theme song is absolutely AWESOME and I'm hoping that one day, I'll actually be able to buy the music for this game. :)

2. Bethany

Bethany Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    They're not. That was my concern when I first encountered a "Dash 9 giants in one wish" goal, but the goals appear to be more-or-less random. They don't keep getting more difficult as you progress; you can easily have a "Score 250k in 3 wishes" goal immediately followed by a "Score 75k in three wishes" goal.

Agreed about the instructions, I had to ask here how the score multipliers worked.

3. Sef

Sef New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Really?

Maybe this Dash Giants goal can just sit around a while, then, while I hope to be able to complete some of the coming Daily Goals (since I can't seem to manage the Giants-related goals yet)?

After completing the x4 Multiplier, I unlocked a 1,500 Tears goal... which I had done/completed not that long ago to my recollection (unless it was some other number of Tears), so yeah, I totally can see that maybe, it's all random.

Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

4. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    #444 Estrica, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    I also suck at this game, but I love it. The daily reward is a big help when you can't get enough tears. It's still slower to get upgrades, but at least you can skip the impossible ones.

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I've just played the game. Can you take meknow what can the tears do beside skip quest?

6. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    3 things you can do with tears:
    - enable a skill for the next 3 runs
    - buy upgrades/cosmetics for your horse
    - skip a quest

7. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Yup, just what Bethany said - the goals seem to be completely randomly generated. I'm at max level and I see "easy" ones (like collecting 25 faeries in 3 levels or jumping through X number of hoops in any number of levels) as well as "hard" ones (like getting a 75k high score in three runs, or your Giant one, which by the way I'd also have trouble with).

I've played the game a lot, and I can promise you that the goals range in difficulty throughout the game and very rarely will you be stuck with three very hard goals. And when you run into those that you just can't get past, don't be afraid to spend the tears to skip them.

Tears get easier and easier to get the more you play - things like daily goals, daily rewards/prizes if your team wins, and of course the rewards for fulfilling your personal goals (the ones for gaining a rank are a big jackpot) will make them add up pretty quickly. You won't be able to purchase five unicorn upgrades in one go or anything, but you should have enough to afford to skip the goals you're stuck on/with - even if you have to do two in a row.

Also, in all my time playing, I've probably had to skip a little more than a dozen goals - possibly more because the game does throw some tough ones at you, and I'm really bad at the high score ones, but it's a rarity that I actually have to spend tears to kick out a goal.

TL;DR: (I know I talk a lot) Goals are random and so is their difficulty, skipping is possible and affordable but usually unnecessary.

8. Sef

Sef New Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Thanks Enriana, I really appreciate the time you took to explain how your experience has been and don't worry; I seem to talk a lot myself.

I guess for me, I've -mostly- only seen the harder goals the further I have progressed (though just yesterday, I suddenly got one of those 'easy' ones) and so it seemed logical to me that the goals would only continue to gain in difficulty as that's more or less been my pattern so far.

Speaking of which, I just got stuck with a 'Collect 125 Fairies in One Wish' sort of goal which is worth 2000something tears to bypass - YIKES.

9. hourglass

hourglass Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    To be honest, it sucks. It sucks quite a bit.

10. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Woohoo, new update! New songs! new unicorns! Anyone download it yet? I'm stuck at work with no wifi, dammit.

11. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Whoaaaa... Ok. The new songs are "Dare" and "The Touch" by Stan Bush.

**passes out**

Too... Much... Awesome...

(And the new pharaoh unicorn is pretty swanky too)

12. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    #452 ackmondual, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    Game Impressions

1) "new online, daily levels"... how do you access them?

2) are they actually a different layout? Every time I start a new game, it's the identical layout. It's getting VERY repetitive.

3) The polish on the game is nice, but the substance is wearing thin. Anybody else feel this way? I decided not to get the coin/money doubler ($5!?), so that's one thing that makes me less invested.

And I wasted 800+ drops/in-game money because I mistakenly thought the Boosts at the start of each level were a one time-cost... it's that much per start of game :eek:

13. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Coin doubler is 80% off (so $1) for a limited time since Amateur Surgeon 3 just came out. So if you thought it was too pricey before, now you can grab it on the cheap.

14. ackmondual

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Was it only good for 1 or 2 days? It's at $5 now.

15. Gabyll

Gabyll Member

Aug 16, 2013
    none :/
    Toronto
    Omg best game ever ! Can't beat a unicorn, unless it's a robot unicorn. I'm waiting for The Zombi Robot Unicorn Revenge ! Seriously, it's good :cool:

16. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Sooo anyone know if there's a way to start over with a "new" unicorn? From scratch? I just got the new iPad Mini and that combined with the fact that I've been at max rank for quiiite a while and it doesn't look like the devs are prioritizing raising it, I wouldn't mind starting from the beginning; it's been a while. However, my save transferred over without me doing anything to make it so, and I can't figure out how to recreate myself/if there's a way. Anyone?

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Close the app and manually delete your iCloud save data might work. Not sure though.

18. ackmondual

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Hmmm, couldn't you just start a new GameCenter or whatever profile and play on that?

19. SwimCeej

SwimCeej Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I help make iOS games!
    Atlanta, GA
    We just launched an update to RUA2 that introduces a new environment and new unicorn skin.

== BIG UPDATE, Version 1.5 (04/17): All-new Lava World to explore! Side-scroll your way to adventure with a brand-new unicorn – the Celestial Resonator! ==

• Fires will consume you in Lava World, a brand-new environment to jump, run and dash through. Ripped apart by a black hole, this volcano filled world will crush your soul. New enemies and obstacles await! Fail with more fire!
    • Bonus all-new music to accompany the Lava World release!
    • Chase your cosmic dreams with the new Celestial Resonator unicorn skin!

20. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #460 Capricornman, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    It's an excellent game and I love to play it but why add more ads? There seems to be a pop up ad now every time I press play
    Other than that great game!
    Edit: Ok I just reopened the game from closing it and now that ad pop up is gone when I press play! That's better....hope it stays that way :)