Personal name / Developer name

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by digiva, Aug 2, 2011.

1. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    I have registered to the Apple Developer Program with my personal Apple ID (individual registration). Can I still use my developer name to release apps under, or is it fixed to my real name? Thanks :)

2. It's fixed to your real name unless you've registered as a business, afaik.

3. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

It is confusing, my studio name shows on the store in bold letters, but my real name is displayed as seller. I would prefer one or the other.

4. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Is it true that you can't change the name of your company in the Apple dev program?

I recently changed the name of my company and it seems I have to buy another dev license now :(

Has anyone else encountered this situation?

5. Your developer name can show when the user is searching the apps. Your real name will show under "seller" when they click on your app and view the details.

6. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    Thanks. So where can I set the developer name? Is it when the app is being submitted or before that somewhere in the iTunes Connect or iOS Dev Center?

7. You should have set your developer name when you registered. Though as far as I know, it's now changed to show your real name in both the store and receipt. (It used to be just the latter.)

I was able to upgrade my account from personal name to biz name really easily. I just registered my LLC and faxed the proof of registration to Apple. It took a few days. Apple Support was really quick and helpful.

8. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    I can change a "Company / Organization" name in Dev Center's personal profile. Is this the name that will appear in the App Store as well (not as seller, because that is always the personal name with individual accounts, but as copyright holder and below the app name in the search listings etc)?

9. Hi digiva,

As soon as you upload your first app, this will be one of the first questions you are prompted with. I believe it asks you for your language and your company name and warns you that this cannot be changed. This company name is what is displayed in the search screen. Hit the link in my signature for my app and you can see how it is displayed.

10. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    Great! - thanks for clarifying.

11. codeloss

codeloss New Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    New York, NY
    I'm guessing you probably had to re-do the tax forms in iTunes connect?