Universal Epic Skater (by Kongregate)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 12, 2014.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not sure what "Hardcore Mode" is, but somehow I'm showing up on those leaderboards..

2. andyTHPS

andyTHPS New Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hardcore leaderboards represent runs that do not involve any use of epic energy drinks.

Doing two tricks in one combo should only require you to do two kicktricks in a combo sequence (doesn't have to be in the same ollie/jump). I've taken note and will try to address this one.

Thanks for the thread here guys. Looking forward to more feedback.

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Aha, so that explains your "epic" high scores on GameCenter! ;) awesome game bro.

4. rapaleeman

rapaleeman Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I can't believe this game is finally coming out. I read about it in an old slidetoplay article almost a year ago. This game is apparently being worked on by some of the original Tony Hawk/Neversoft folks and that is already a plus in my books.

Game looks rad and now it is just a race to see which game comes to the States first so that I can play it. This one or Tony Hawk. I need me some arcade skating action.

5. andyTHPS

andyTHPS New Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    This has to be the most surprisingly fun game of the week! Came out of nowhere for me and I'm really enjoying it, it just flows really well!

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Can someone explain the incentive to pull large combos? It doesn't really seem to affect the rate at which you earn points and neither does performing the harder tricks. I mean, I can do just fine with holding a manual and doing a heel kick every now and then. I don't see the advantage of spinning or stringing together extra long 30x combos as for example, when you grind, or when you hold the manual, points seem to be collected at a similar rate as when you have a low combo multiplier. Or am I missing something?

8. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    colorful and fast (even on my puny 4) - excited to see how far I can get with this

9. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #32 GiHubb, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    After scoring over 400K points in a run, I think I'm pretty much finished with this. It was a fun ride but there are a few things that keep this shy from greatness:
    - the playing field and obstacles aren't random enough and it feels like running through the same level over and over.
    - the combo system doesn't encourage you to take risks as playing it safe nets you the same amount of points it seems.
    - after you cycle through the entire level, the difficulty doesn't seem to ramp up, I honestly felt I could continue this forever

10. rapaleeman

Dec 20, 2013
    I can't believe I missed this actually coming out.

I downloaded it on Saturday and honestly, this is one of the best skateboard games on the app store. What it lacks in realism it makes up for in the exact same way that the original THPS games did. Pure fun and quick hit challenges. While I miss a two minute timer mode a la the OG THPS, the fact that the real reason to keep playing is to get a better score or hold your combo goes a long way for me.

Not only that but I feel like this game should have cost a buck and done away with the free-to-play stuff as this game is essentially free. Energy Drinks are for naught and you can gets coins super easily and quick. I maxed out my dude in less than an hour of just screwing around. I actually felt bad that the game was so good yet free and threw the devs a few bucks for energy drinks (which I have only used for the one challenge that requires it).

The game only really has two negatives. The one mentioned above in that the world seems the same. Not just in terms of visuals and design (that isn't a problem actually) but in terms of each area being a big section that can be memorized and then it cycles through. Some variety would be nice.

The only other negative is the lack of things to do after you max out your dude and complete all the challenges. Other than the reach level 20 achievement and probably a trick or two, I have done and seen everything the game has to offer. While not a bad thing per se as I can just focus on scores and times but with zero in the way of customization it is honestly a little monotonous. I would love to see some custom decks or skater gear. Even if you have to pay in coins to unlock the custom decks that would be cool to mix things up.

I'm not talking insert your own images but just some custom designs. The default deck already looks like Christian Hosoi's old deck so a few throwbacks would be cool.

All in all, though the game is great. While I may not play it as much as time goes on, it won't be leaving my phone as a quick session here or there is really all I wanted in a skate game for iOS. Something that True Skate and even Touchgrind Skate 2 lacks. The first Touchgrind was super simple but was what I wanted which is the reason I still play it. Basically a portable way to get my quick Tony Hawk fix since THPS2 stopped working on iOS7. Thankfully Stake it still functions.

Good job devs. This is one of the few times where the development pedigree of a past game actually does well. The same reason I kept going back to THPS2 and THPS3 (THPS1 was sadly rendered obsolete in my eyes after THPS2 released) is the same reason I will keep coming back to this one. Quick, simple, yet obsessive gameplay. A little more variety would be appreciated though.

11. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #34 GiHubb, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Rapaleeman: while I agree with most of what you said, don't you feel the combo system is flawed? I mean, if you hold a manual between tricks THPS2 style, you can run insane combos but it doesn't add to the score. And yeah, a lot more randomness and variety is needed in the levels, like I wrote in my previous post, if I play it safe, since I remember the level layout, I feel as if I can keep going forever.

Still, no other game gave me that THPS vibe (in 2D!) as this game did. It feels though that a bit of additional adjustments and this could be a true classic.

12. rapaleeman

Dec 20, 2013
    I'm not sure what you mean. It adds to the score. You can actually see the score go up as you are doing the manual.

If you mean that it doesn't give you an added multiplier on top of the starter one (it's in the left hand corner), then yes that is slightly flawed on the outset but it actually makes some of the leaderboards make sense and keeps everyone on the same playing field.

13. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #36 GiHubb, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    What I mean is that if you have a high multiplier, holding the manual for example or running a grind doesn't net you more points than if you had a low multiplier. Makes the combo multiplier kind of useless.

Wanted to see if there was anything new content wise with the new update. Nope. Did a run just to confirm what I wrote here about going on forever - ran a score of over a million points (without using the doubler from the slot machine either!) and just lost interest afterwards as the level keeps cycling with nothing new added.

14. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I've proven to myself that the game in its current state can pretty much be played indefinitely - I hit a score of about 7.3 million points after probably cycling through the level like 30 times.... Hey, it was a slow night...

15. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Sorry for Necro,

I guess the IAP doesnt work in this game? I bought several items, it looked like it went through, I guess I got charged, but I got nothing (no gold, no cans, and Ads still everywhere)