Terra Noctis: Free Dreaming - Free2Play Platformer Action! [Everplay]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Everplay, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    #1 Everplay, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Hey guys!

I wanted to show you Everplays first title, called Terra Noctis: Free Dreaming. Many of you may have heard of Terra Noctis in the forums, but we worked with the original developers to turn their paid platformer into an epic free2play hardcore game.

I know many of you will be instantly disgusted at the thought of Free To Play, but we took special care to ensure that it is a complete and full game WITHOUT having to pay for IAP.

There are entirely optional items for sale, such as HATS! Yes, you heard...HATS. The pinnacle of excellence in ANY game! You can play and beat the game for free without dropping a dime, but if you want to do it in style, you may have to play a few extra coins! ;-)

RELEASE DATE: February 2nd! (One week from this posting!)
    PRICE: FREE + MORE FREE + A little for added awesomeness

Please check out the trailer (and be sure to look for the hats!) below!

2. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Uh huh.

A lot of the levels in that trailer I recognize from the original Terra Nocris...with the addition of hats. Also, with there be any sort of ending/story in this one? xD

3. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Eh...can you guys fix the original first though? There's a few problems we've found that make the game difficult to 100%.

And also, if the F2P is getting hats, does that mean the paid version will get them as well? Except we won't have to pay additional money, right?

4. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    So is this the whole original game made into F2P due to the hats???

Or is it only some of the levels, or new levels only for F2P.

I can Imagine some uproar if the game goes free now when so many people paid for not (even though its completely worth it)

5. Asstasticguy

Asstasticguy Active Member

Nov 17, 2011
    hmhm, this sounds like a really odd move, not hatin'. It is just really interesting.
    But if it proves successfull, then all the power to you, Terra Noctis is a fantastic game and if making it free to play helps it gain more players all the better.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont get why people cause uproar about that, i dont mind if the game goes free, i've paid for it so i'm glad the developer got money from me, bit of an odd idea this but be interesting to see if it works. If more people bought the game originally they probably wouldnt have done this

7. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Argeed - As I said game was completely worth it.

But there will be some people...

8. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Yeah I bought the game too and it's great though with this move I probably won't buy their next game right away in case they do this again and make it free. Do hope they update the paid version to smooth some bugs out

9. Kumeelyun

Kumeelyun Member

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm confused...

So how exactly did this arrangement come about?
    Why is there a different developer in the mix?
    Did Everplay license the code from Fire Fruit Forge (or publisher BulkyPix)?
    If a F2P model was planned, why didn't FFF or BP just do it themselves?
    And why did this happen so soon?

I ask these questions because if this is successful this business model will be copied and we might see games with developers who sacrifice gameplay and bug fixes to cram in their IAPs (I am only speculating here. I am not saying Everyplay is doing this with TR:FD)

Like everyone else, I'm curious as to if this the full story/game, or if it is just some of the levels.

This development, along with Gameloft's and Gamevil's direction with their apps, looks like we might see the death of the lite demo in favor of the freemium.

10. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    No, the original Terra Noctis isn't going free.

It is a modified version of the original and releasing as a new title.

To be honest, if you followed the original thread, you'd notice that the game took over 15 months to make and didn't even earn enough to cover the costs of the computers. So this is a new business model on a hardcore game in order to inspire more players to download and for the brand to spread.

11. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    An update to the original will be coming.

12. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    So...kinda like a lite/demo version, with IAP to try and make some money out of it.

13. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    Basically. We think its a solid and fun platformer, but now its getting about 10 sales a day so its an attempt to show off the game to more players.

14. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Cool - Are the levels ripped from the main game, or different?
    Ill probably get this and buy some hats to show love for firefruitforge

15. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I don't have a problem with this either! I say the best of luck to you guys.

*All the people who are complaining about PM should come to this thread. Will it get noticed more because of CM? Sure, but let's see if it breaks the top 300 over the next week.

16. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    Everplay, a new studio focused on hardcore and casual free2play and social gaming, and FireFruitForge teamed up together to bring this product to market. We fixed the bugs you guys have reported, put in proper English translation, and added IAP for not only hats, but other conveniences such as fairies so you can buy extra lives and better items. The levels are mostly the same from the original with some changes to the setup.

It is important to emphasize that the IAP is completely optional and you can collect fairies while playing. We even added a mystical Fairy Cloning device to double the number of fairies you collect.... ;-)

17. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Will the paid version be getting the hats as well?

18. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    Can't comment on that. I can confirm that the paid version will be getting the bug fixes and such, though.

19. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Breaks my heart that it gets 10 downloads a day... :(

20. Everplay

Jan 21, 2012
    Shows why some devs go the free route. The is nothing wrong with free + IAP as long as its done right.... *cough*Not-like-Zynga*cough*