iPhone Antistar3D: Rising submitted

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tea, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #1 tea, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    I am the main contributor for Antistar3D: Rising

Antistar3D: Rising is an adventure/action title

Release postponed until the 10th-20th of August :eek:

More info at http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=61921

(with links to video trailer etc... because it is a universal app I already posted in iPhone/iPod Touch section).

Sizeable iPad screenshot :D

[​IMG]

2. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Does the game also support landscape orientation? Seems like all the shots were in portrait. Universal app?

Anyways, looks good...I'm interested in checking it out.

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I'm very interested, I need more adventure games, I like the graphic style and and the mood of the places with a touch of unreal. Let hope the story and gameplay are as good.

4. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    This looks cool. I really like the graphics style as well. :)

5. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    We will support landscape orientation (all devices) for the 2nd or 3rd release.

:rolleyes: 'Universal App' is jargon used by Apple to refer games that run on all their devices and take advantage of their capabilities. As an example, we have antialiasing (on iPhone 3GS), higher definition (iPhone4) and greater depth of field and definition (iPad!).

6. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    That's cool then, I thank landscape mode would be a must for some iPad gamers...guess it wouldn't hurt to put landscape mode is coming in the description, there will be some who may drop a star if they thought it was only going to be portrait. This will be on my wish list :)

7. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I won't argue which mode is better, but I'd like point that portrait mode is quite original, I never played such game in portrait mode.

Even for gameplay, if for a walking hero (opposed to a flying/climbing/jumping one) the landscape mode is more logical, if the design of the place put focus on heights the portrait mode could work better. Also quote how this mode increase the 3D depth feeling. And quote too in the title: "Rising". :D

I have a bit too much expectation in this game, that's rarely good, but it's fun because it's more and more rare. The Witcher 2 and now Antistar3D: Rising. :)

8. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    With portrait we can frame characters closer. On the iPod Touch this makes the difference between :confused: 'heap of pixels' and 'character'. We use camera management to adjust so a player can anticipate during action scenes.

The weight/size of the iPad offers different opportunities and challenges. Regarding portrait/landscape there is a design challenge that we want to address in a unique, original way.

One thing I wonder...
    ... How do you guys prefer using the iPad? Hold it with both hands, rest it horizontally... ?

9. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I have an Ipad case which is also an Ipad stand, allowing rest the ipad slightly oblique, for both positions, landscape and portraits.

The point is that touch controls don't work well when you handle the ipad, only virtual pad works but even for them they work much better for me with ipad rest with an oblique position.

In fact I handle the ipad only for few games using tilt controls.

10. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    #10 tea, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    Added support for landscape orientation

The good news: we have added support for landscape orientation; it will be possible to rotate the screen while playing, seamlessly.

The lesser good news :p : it will take a little more time for Antistar to land on the app store.

Our game has been rejected because it was not possible to start it upside down (the picture would then appear upside down) on the iPad (does not apply to iPhone etc... but universal apps are 'all or nothing' submissions). While I feel unsure whether this would spoil the fun...

...surely we wouldn't miss an opportunity to improve, and I think it can be fun to toggle orientation while playing.

11. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
  12. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why? I must be missing something. I just play games in whatever format the designer creates them. Why would someone have a strong preference for landscape mode?

13. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    You are perfectly right; I originally posted in the wrong section by mistake; I tried to find a way to move it; well looks we're in the right place now ;)

14. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    With the iPad I feel there is an ergonomics aspect involved. It is not really heavy but it may be easier to hold using the landscape orientation.

Apple heavily encourages devs to make apps that run in both formats. I honestly don't know why - from a design point of view it's fun and exciting, but it is also time consuming and maybe the time could be better spent elsewhere.

More generally studies of human vision tend to indicate that people find it easier to follow stuff happening in the horizontal plane. Also there's been a trend in cinemas in using increasingly wide formats, no? And that seems to be popular with epic / action oriented movies.

15. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010