Final Fantasy - am I missing something?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tomatediseno, Mar 29, 2011.

1. tomatediseno

tomatediseno Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I splashed out on FFI and FFII a while back and only recently started out with I and I've been left wondering "Is this it!?".

I've deliberately avoided looking at spoilers, but it seems that I'm just wandering aimlessly around an almost featureless game world being hit by random encounters every 20 pixels, it's just annoying!

So - am I missing out on a great adventure, should I just go for a walkthrough or just forget it and bin it as it's really not going to be my cup of tea?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You are missing something, but you should need a walkthrough to connect with the story -- particularly with FF 2. You need to talk to people in the towns, etc.

3. Famousmortimer

Famousmortimer Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Back then games didn't really hold your hand like they do now, for better or worse. Just keep talking to people in the towns and castles, especially the dancing lady in the first town as she will tell you what you need to do next most of the time.

But part of the fun of the early Final Fantasy's is figuring all of that out. If you aren't finding it fun it may not be your cup of tea.

4. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Yup!

You have to be smart enough to figure it all out by talking to people and exploring.

Having a good long attention span is also required.

5. V3RMILLION

V3RMILLION Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Hah, in my opinion they don't really stand the test of time. The story is pretty generic. Also, random encounters every few seconds is a Square trademark, so get used to it.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The game is about battling. If you don't like battling, don't play it.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The story on FF1 and FF3 are fairly generic; I wouldn't say the same thing about FF2 (or 4, or FF6).

8. Atischery

Atischery Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    That's the point.

9. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I'm going to wager a guess that JRPGs aren't your thing.

10. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Talk to people in town. There should be clues on what you should do.

11. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Well imo the most exciting prospect about Squenix releasing these classics is that they can now get to the good stuff! (though FF 1, 2, 3 and SoM are all decent games.) But it's FF 4 onwards that are truly epic. Even their next game, FF Tactics looks to be awesome so long as they do a good job on the controls and UI.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you get stuck early on talk to the dancing girl in the original town; she'll often suggest where you should go next.

Final Fantasy games are often about world exploration to solve plot driven puzzles/mysteries. ...but like they said JRPGs might not be your thing, their pacing is a lot different than the standard iOS fare.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You've more or less described my experience with every Final Fantasy game ever made. To varying degrees. I've stopped trying to figure out what it is I'm missing. You probably should too.

Actually, wait. I played one on the SNES many years ago that I actually enjoyed. At least for a little while. Cannot recall what number it was, but it had a bit where this girl had to sing in an opera on stage... Cartoony characters. Anyone help me out?

14. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    @Gabrien

That would be FF 6, (or FF 3 in the US iirc) I never got around to finishing it myself, but many consider it one of the best in the series.

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thank you! I just remember it being quirky and a bit weird. Didn't seem to be taking itself too seriously. I guess that would be one I wouldn't mind trying again.

16. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
  17. tomatediseno

tomatediseno Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Good replies, I'll have a go with the walkthrough and see if it gives me a kickstart in caring about the game. I've played a few JRPGs over the decades as well as their western counterparts but probably prefer a sit down in front of the TV with a cup of tea and a pack of digestives over the mobile experience when it comes to this sort of gaming.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I've actually found myself preferring these FF games on the go because of how mindless a lot of the battles are. Very easy to play on the phone while doing something else. :)