Server Options for Backend

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by tdog09, Aug 14, 2011.

1. tdog09

tdog09 New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Hello all-

I'm researching the specs for a new development project I'm on, and I need a little insight. The project is sort of a text based mmorpg (the best I can compare it too is Villains or iMobsters, but very different).

I need help deciding on the server to use for the backend. I know mysql, php, java and python, so my options are:

-mysql/php
    -google appengine

I realize appengine can't interface with apple's push notifications, but there are ways around it. I have some prototypes that I could use already done in php for use with mysql.

I wanna hear some opinions from other developers. Pros/cons on each, what you've taken into consideration, and what you've chosen.

Thanks in advance!

2. tdog09

tdog09 New Member

Aug 14, 2011
    No advice?

3. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Unfortunately this is not my area of expertise so I'm not much help to you. However, I have recently been learning about google appengine. I'm curious why it can't interface (easily) with apple's push notifications?

4. magicboker

magicboker Active Member

Dec 2, 2009
    You can try some VPS hosting. for example, i used VME Hosting for my MMO Real-time strategy game -- EnergyEmpire (http://itunes.apple.com/app/energyempire/id405211206) You can measure its performance to have a idea about how well a VPS-level backend server can do for an online game.