How exactly does the DRM for DLC work in 3.0?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by powersurge, Jul 13, 2009.

1. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I haven't seen an exact answer on this question and I was wondering if anyone knew how this would work? For example say I loose my iTunes library to a surge and it nukes my drive and backup. I can redownload my purchased games but what about DLC? Or what if I decide to upgrade to a new device? I know I can have my games on multiple devices but what about DLC such as additions to Flick Fishing?

2. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Fitting username for this topic. :p

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Supposedly companies have to allow you to re-download any purchased content for free.

i.e.

1) Re-download game in iTunes (free)
    2) Re-download in game content (also for free)

4. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I'd also really like to know. I've been wondering the same thing.

5. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

It's exactly the same as other iTunes purchases on your account. If you've bought it and for some reason have to wipe the device and go to buy it again iTunes lets you download it again for free.

6. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    k. thats very good to know.

7. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    What about multiple devices? Same rules as full games? I think its up to 5 devices?

8. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I want to know about storing the DLC locally. Does it get saved to the Mobile Applications folder in iTunes?

9. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Good question. If you bought and installed the game under your own account, it should transfer over to other devices that are linked to your account. Zwilnik can correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Zwilnik

re-buying it on another device with the same account downloads it for free (just tested it as I wasn't sure myself :) ).

As for the other question of where it's stored. That is of course under NDA and it's not advisable to go routing around trying to find it (we've been tracking several attempts to hack the DLC already). It's not something players need to know about as it's kept safe in your Apple iTunes account anyway and hacking around with the game invariably ends with bad results.

11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    But is it stored on my computer or only on some offsite server?

12. FinalGamerAC

FinalGamerAC Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Ohio
    I think he means if he restores will he have to connect to the internet or if he can do it offline.

13. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Bingo. We have seen many apps pulled for one reason or another. I am not going to trust the App Store to hold onto my purchases for me.

14. Zwilnik

If the App store loses your purchases you've got bigger problems than losing your DLC content.

If an app gets pulled there's a good reason. ie it shouldn't have been out there in the first place.

15. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It wouldn't be the first time and I'd say they are both problems.

Then why would it be out there in the first place? i.e. can somebody with at least half a brain please answer my question?

16. Zwilnik

Why do you want to know when there's absolutely nothing useful you or anyone else can do with the information?

I shall point out ahead of the next paragraph that I think you're more just a technically interested user rather than a thief just so you don't take it as an attack. It's not at all.

The only reason to know how the DLC system works when you're not the dev is when you want to try and hack it in some way or another. It's backed up for you automatically so knowing how it works won't make your purchases 'safer' in any way. The only thing you can do with information on the DLC system is break your games and/or attempt to steal content. The DLC works and that's all anybody outside of Apple and the NDAs needs to know.

Devs won't talk about how it works because they're under NDA and because there are plenty of more corrupt people out there looking at ways to hack the DLC system to stop the devs from being able to pay their bills. So please don't take the "nothing to see here!" personally.

17. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Well, that is closer to an answer. Perhaps I have just not been clear enough. I don't care how it works. I am not asking you to breech the NDA. All I want to know is if the DLC is synced with iTunes. Or is it similar to saved game data in the sense that it remains only on the iDevice? That can't be covered by the NDA. I could even find out for myself if I had some DLC but I have not seen any in-app-purchases yet. What games offer DLC?

18. Zwilnik

That was answered in the first few posts, it's an iTunes purchase so it's on your iTunes account. If you want to give it a go for the cost of a can of soda, Flick Fishing has an in-app store with an exclusive private beach location (including a unique game mode for multiplayer) for sale.

19. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    If that was covered in the first few posts then I misunderstood. I got the impression that you had been talking about the iTunes store. Anyway, I do have Flick Fishing around here somewhere and I may as well try it out myself.

Back in a bit...

20. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    So the answer is no: the additional content is not synced with iTunes. I purchased the private beach for 99 cents, synced my iPhone, uninstalled Flick Fishing, reinstalled Flick Fishing and the DLC was gone.