Universal DoDonPachi Resurrection HD (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Depends what he means by "skipframes adjustments". If it's like what I'm seeing on iPhone 4 and iPad 2 it's basically 30 vs 60fps. It's playable but I prefer the smoothness over it (particularly in DDPR HD where it seemed to drop more than Espgaluda), others might prefer the sharpness.

2. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Try playing the HD version on iPhone 4 with small screen size and full screen size options, You'll see the frame rate difference. I too prefer smoothness over sharpness.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    He said on the 4 it does a skipframes adjustment, or some such thing, so yes the 4s plays it better (not that I can verify it, I'm just telling you what he said). It's going to be less smooth on a 4.

4. KingAlbestar

KingAlbestar Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Eldorado
    Exactly, think of playing Skyrim around 23-25 range and a solid 30+ fps on the same configuration but at a different resolution. Did many DDP:R runs on both 4 and 4s and it's totally enjoyable on both. If you have a 4 depends if you favor resolution over smooth framerate, it's a personal preference.

Sure this problems arise by the sad fact that's a different app, so I understand that someone who already bought the SD is still on the fence.
    I adore Cave games on iOS and imho they have competitive prices if you think their home consoles counterparts.
    The real letdown is now there are 2 separate leaderboards, like someone who has a 3gs can't compete with a friend who has a 4s!

5. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Ha! I just got an ipad3 so I can now see shmups with the ultimate graphics levels!:p

6. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    I soo tried to resist getting this HD version. I can tell you I failed. Been playing over and over attaning new achievements. There are new ester eggs too. The new BGM is awesome. I am angry though another weekend will be spent getting all achievements. I do have a slight point to make so far all other Cave games have a must have openfeint banner, this so far doesn't and I hope it stays that way but if they "updated" the banner in Deathsmiles this will follow. Grrrrr.

7. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    I also tried to resist getting esp2 hd as it looks really good in 2x mode. The hd version is much more immersive as it fills the entire screen. It's like you're actually in the game, I kid you not. I have both versions of DDP and esp2. Shogun and Phoenix hd also look significantly better than on my ipad1.:D

8. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    played the lite version of both Espgaluda 2 and DDP R....

can't decide which one to pick D:

can owners of both games list me some details regarding both games so you can help me decide which one to pick?

9. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    I have. There isn't a significant difference, which is surprising. I have excellent vision.

10. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    #70 pentarou, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    Hi guys, guess I'm new here. (You might know me from my Deathsmiles item list.)

Actually I'm here b/c I was hoping to add some folks on GC for the Bug Princess achievement lol. If you'd be interested, please send a PM :)

This really depends if you're more of a casual or a hardcore player. The best thing to do would probably be to view some decent runs on Nicovideo or Youtube if you can find them. They don't have to be superplays, but it's a lot more entertaining to watch someone who understands the scoring system. It's a little hard to find them on Youtube though, and most of the English "reviews" I've seen feature people who don't actually play shmups, which is kinda embarrassing.

Espgaluda 2
    • Asagi iPhone mode "Ordinary play", stage 1. Note the madness that starts at 40 seconds and how this guy manages to get both extends (1-ups from reaching a certain score) on the first stage. Actually holy cow, I'm going back to watching the whole run after I post this haha (edit: Stage 6 / Asagi / iPhone)
    Resurrection - Unfortunately, no equivalent videos here.

(Arcade mode videos from the non-iOS versions of the game are fairly easy to find, just search for "dodonpachi daifukkatsu superplay" or "espgaluda 2 superplay" etc etc.)

Aesthetics aside (espers and blood vs. airplanes and explosions), Resurrection has a faster play style, additional hidden routes, a normal second loop, a hidden second loop, and a secret 4th ship in iPhone mode. Galuda 2 has an overall slower playing style, more player variety (four shot modes per character including Awakening mode), and magical people with wings shooting magical bullets. They're both good, but if you plan on pouring a lot of hours into one game, Resurrection probably has more replay value. Even so, it's not like you couldn't spend those same hours trying to perfect a Galuda 2 scoring run.

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yes, I instantly recognized your name, and thanks so much for that list. It helped a ton while trying to farm all of the items.

12. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks! Glad you found it useful. :)

13. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR

cool, tnx.... I actually picked up Espgaluda 2 since i used to play Dodonpachi on ps1 and had a few mame roms and i kind of have a few other shooters on my ipad that are planes and explosions...

already finished Normal on Smartphone mode using Asagi, started a Hard Run with Tateha and been doing good till stage 3 now... very enjoyable :)

14. farjo08

farjo08 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Hi!

First, loving this game. Played most Cave games, but passed this one earlier on but now that the HD version is out (and I got myself an iPad 2, yeah, it's outdated now... lol) finally picked up the game.

Like all other Cave games, love it!

But I have a question for HD (and maybe non-HD players). There is an achievement called Dodonpachi Squadron New Recruit. It looks like it's just an achievement for completing the game with all ships in all modes. From what I can see, there are 2 modes and 3 ships. So 6 total combinations.

What I noticed after the first time completing the game, I had 14% completion of this achievement. Now after beating both Arcade and Smart Phone modes with all 3 ship types, I'm at 85% (which makes sense considering 14% for one completion). But where does that last 15% come from? It seems like the percentage for completing the game is off, or there's some hidden mode with 1 ship to complete.

Anyone get this achievement or have any ideas?

15. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    You're missing the hidden ship. Mild spoilers, but if you haven't beaten Ura 2nd loop and the secret boss (but who has?) then go to iPhone mode and press the ships in this order...

(A) - B - C - A - B - C -
    B - C - A - B - C - A -
    C - A - B - C - A - B

The secret ship will now be selectable.

In M mode it has a straight shot and a spread shot that adjusts direction with the tilt sensor. In S mode the shot just demolishes the screen with bullets. Its hyper shot is a tad weaker, but this seems pretty unimportant when your regular shot destroys everything on screen!

16. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    ^ The true final boss is also the secret ship. I think Hibachi is the name. Anyone have any tips on how to reach him? been trying for a couple of months now and still nada

17. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Hibachi is at the end of the second loop, although I forget if there are different second loops, i.e. a normal one or a special one with Hibachi at the end.

To get to the second loop you have to fulfill a bunch of requirements, these aren't them but for a general idea they're usually stuff like less than x number of bombs used, x deaths, hard stuff. Another way is to collect bees, as long as you get a certain amount you get to go to the second loop. Bees kind of flicker in the background, you use the head of the laser to uncover them then fly over to collect them. If you've never seen one there's an easy one right at the beginning, on the right side on the coast. Someone posted a map of all the bees in one of the older DDP threads so search for that.

18. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    To unlock Hibachi, in smartphone mode, just reach Ura loop playing on hard or normal and kill Hibachi. Easiest way is to collect ALL the 45 bees and 1 CC the first loop. After entering the second loop, you can credit feed till the end and still be able to unlock hibachi! Good luck!

19. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]DODONPACHI RESURRECTION HD[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    14/03/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this sequel to legendary Danmaku shooting game "DoDonPachi Blissful Death" in beautiful HD?

[size=+3][thread=125821]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

20. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    iPhone 4 owner here, and having tried the Lite version, I have to say I found it absolutely fine. Granted, I had to ensure there was nothing open in the background and after closing all the open apps and rebooting the device, I found it ran fine. Sure, there was the occasional, very slight stutter but I use the word "stutter" very, very loosely.

Even on the end of stage boss (before it cuts out and asks you to buy the full game) when using bombs and the bullets are flying, it never became a slideshow.

However, at £9.99 and as an owner of the original version, I can't justify a purchase right now.