Universal The Walking Dead: Assault (by Skybound LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sotoro, Nov 30, 2012.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

It's Adlard's art. Shouldn't that be enough?

That said, off topic, I really struggled with the comic once Tony Moore dropped out from drawing everything. I get Adlard has a different style, but Moore's polish was a drawing factor to me getting further engaged with the story. Besides Darrick Robertson, Moore is my favorite comic artist, and is the coolest dude ever. He's done so many drawings for me at no cost, he's literally the best.

ANYway, I don't know. I want to buy it, but I haven't even finished telltale's awesome game.

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Bought the game. Black and white artwork is based on comic book series.

First Level Semi-spoiler Alert:
    I gathered all of the supplies and ammo and I I've gone across the perimeter. How am I supposed to finish the level? By killing the zombies?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So how many missions do you get? It's not all randomised missions is it?

Looks great. Tempted. Is it a scrolling level or just one screen type of map like borderlands?

4. LunaKnight2

LunaKnight2 Member

Sep 8, 2012
    It's actually really good sticks good to the books/show! I recommend you buy it!

5. LunaKnight2

LunaKnight2 Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes kill them

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thank ye

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

How is the IAP? It seems like this could be heavy on that front. And of course as usual, is it has significant IAP it'll probably go free.

8. kapshin

kapshin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    KC, MO
  9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #29 Bool Zero, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    The only IAP aside from the episodes which will come later is the Supplies which help to upgrade your character, and honestly there is no need for them unless you feel the need to fast track your characters to leveling them up. Otherwise you can enjoy the game without buying any and it offers you incentive to replay levels.

In short, this is a game that happens to have IAP in it but it is not a IAP currency driven game...

10. Ederfb

Ederfb Member

Oct 3, 2011
    I just complete the first level, where, yes, you have tomkill all zombies... And I have a lot of fun doing it. This is indeed a very fun game!! Completly different from the Telltale ones. As a Walking Dead fan, I think we are very lucky with iPad games. :)

The graphic are very nice, they run smoothly and capture the art style of the comic books perfectly. And the story too!

And for the ones the criticise this game, the Telltale ones or any "buy chapters games"... Com'on... Stop complaining!! I hate iOS gamers complaining that a game, that is very neat, that as a great production value and that will keep them busy for a few hours, is too expensive at $1.99 each chapter!! With the Telltale Walking Dead games I bought the season pass, it cost me a total of $20 for more than 15 hours of excellent story telling and gameplay - that's not expensive, that's cheap! It was even cheaper than on Xbox Live or Steam. And many times I'm getting more fun and gameplay time with an iOS game at $5 than a $60 xbox or ps3 game... So, stop complaining... Please... You see, I'm asking politlely.

Bcak to the this game... It's fun, the art style is good, and if you're a fan of the comic books, pick it up!! Even if you enjoyed it for 2h, it's still about 10$ cheaper then go see a 2h boring movie at the theatre!

11. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    How is it possible that this game was kept secret until now?

12. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    And Robert Kirkman has been Tweeting about it...

DBC

13. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The game is actually based on the comics, which is probably its strongest point. Downloading now, should be fun.

14. RickyBrooke

RickyBrooke Well-Known Member

May 13, 2012
    Fantastic graphics and production values, the visual style is direct from the comics and looks brilliant. This is an officially endorsed Walking Dead game so you know it'll be quality.

The control system is great and zooming and rotating is a joy to behold. Game tactics are dependent on the player you can go stealthy or run about guns blazing its up to you. The top down Real Time Strategy style is brilliant and customisation of your team members abilities is easy to handle and fun to use in-game. The IAP's are optional you will not need to purchase unless you want to unlock all levels or level up immediately - but why do that when the game earns you supplies credits as you go along?

The soundtrack is awesome as well very evocative of the TV series!

As a huge Walking Dead fan I can whole-heartedly endorse this game - you won't be disappointed!

15. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    #35 Ausar, Nov 30, 2012
    Well i'm not a huge twd fan since i have only read the first comic and i haven't wacht the series yet (yea i know)

But this is really great since the borderlands Legends fiasco this is a great alternative and the graphic style is really unique and that make it better, the soundtrack is spot on, every pj have his unique skill like most games of this type, there is no time limit to each levels for now you just have a timer in the top of the screen and you could try to beat the time the game give you like a challange sort of thing also if you make more noise when killing zombies the horde show ups

So far i haven't have any issue with pathfinding, the only thing i would change is instead of the two taps make it one tap to move for a mobile game i have to say i like this more than the telltale games if you didn't have any problem buying episodes for that one i dont say why it should be a problem here, the iap doesnt seen to be a problem since you find a lot of resources to upgrade the chartacters

Overall i'm enjoy this pretty much i think for a real the walking dead fan this should be a must

16. xXHardKoreXx

xXHardKoreXx New Member

May 8, 2012
    Agreed! So happy it's comic based and not TV based! Love the show, but a comic based game is refreshing.

17. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok love the comics and the show so I'm getting this Sunday but here's my thing the other levels are needed to be bought with iap yes or no? And what's the length?

By the way someone mentioned borderlands. I think if it was faster and had a story maybe just maybe it would have been decent but I still say battleheart won the line drawing RPG as its labeled by some.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, the Telltale games have been short listed by many gaming sites for GOY, but I understand that adventure/interactive narrative isn't everyone's cup of tea. From what I've see so far (a couple of chapters) this is a solid game, but it doesn't delivery any of emotional payoff of the Telltale games (or the comics, for that matter).

I'm glad that you brought up Borderlands Legends, because the contrast is stark: on the one hand you have a game made by folks who take the platform seriously, while on the other you have something meant entirely as a cash grab. Borderlands seems to have sold well; I hope that this one does a lot better, since quality and care needs to be rewarded.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well I bought it earlier. Love it! You get a fair few missions with the game, looks like future packs will be IAPs. Love the way you can rotate and zoom into the game. Very impressive

As a fan of the comic and tv series I think it's great. Nice surprise !

20. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    #40 Ausar, Nov 30, 2012
    Well i think i explaing something wrong with my post i'm not trying to say that the telltale series is boring or something i actually liked is one of my favorites genres (the longest journey, runaway, yesterday etc) but i like more this one on the Pc for iphone in my opinion this suits better in the ipad maybe is a different story but i dont have one

I'm with you is borderlands sold well this deserve much more since it looks that have more work behind it