M.A.V.A.N - Modular Aerial Vehicle Assault Network

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 1pxOff, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Hello Everyone! I wanted to take a minute and introduce a new project that I am working on and try to get some early feedback fromt the community. I am a one man team working on this project and the project is still very early in development. I would like to get feedback from you all here to hopefully make the game fun and generally just more awesome.

The concept of the game is that you are a new recruit into the M.A.V.A.N organization to help defend earth from an out of control AI that has overtaken most of the world's military vehicles (The story is still a work in progress and obviously I welcome ideas and feedback). The M.A.V.A.N. organization is built on aircraft with interchangeable parts and pieces. It is your job to assemble an aircraft to your liking and with proper capabilities to then pilot and fight the enemy AI onslaught.

Below are a couple videos of the game at its current state. Please keep in mind that a lot will change before release such as artwork and UI, and a lot of vehicle parts and pieces will be added. Also most of the enemies have not been implemented at this point. One last note, the apparent lag is in the recording not actual gameplay, sorry for that.

Aircraft Building Demo

Once again I look forward to your feedback!

2. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Great Idea!!! Please put in a first person view (like cockpit view...).
    Good job!
    When it will be released?

3. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Thank you for the kind words! I like the idea of first person view, I will see what I can do in that regard. As far as release date, I don't have one at the moment. Like I said before it is just me working on the game, but I can assure you that I am devoting as much time and effort to the project that I can. I will post updated here to keep you in the loop on the progress of the game.

Let me know if you have any other ideas!

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    How about you Reduce guided dominance, use a soft lock on as we have to keep an enemy relativly close to the reticle.
    Looks workable.

5. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Hey thanks for the tip. I am not entirely sure if I understand what you are suggesting. The way the game currently works is that once you are within range of an enemy and that enemy is within a targeting cone in front of you, your targeting will begin a lock on process. If you keep the enemy in range and in the cone long enough you will acquire a lock and your rockets will fire. The rockets have homing abilities that will help the player kill enemies. The lock on time and the homing accuracy vary across the different types of projectiles. For instance the smallest bullet type locks on very fast and has a medium homing ability, but are very weak damage. Conversely, lager "bunker busters" have a much longer lock in rate but carry incredibly high damage, and a fairly low homing ability ( much more useful for stationary ground targets).

The weapon systems are very much in the early stages of implementation.

If you could explain your idea in a little more detail, I will definitely take it to to consideration

Thanks for the interest!

6. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Screenshots!!

Hey everyone just wanted to throw up a couple of screen shots of just a couple of the configurations possible with the current set of fuselages, and various items. More will come soon!

Attached Files:

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Looks good.
    What I was hitting at earlier was what you hit.
    No worries on that then.
    Will this be multiplayer focused, or will there be a campaign?

8. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Awesome! I was thinking we were close but thought I would share a bit more detail of how the system works to make sure.

I am trying to work this part out at the moment. I am not entirely sure how the single player campaign is going to play out yet, but I have been batting around some ideas on how to incorporate multiple players into the game play. So to answer you question more directly, I am focusing on the single player aspect now, while trying to plan and build to allow the possibility of multiplayer. If I can figure out a way to incorporate it in a way that is fun then I will certainly give it a try.

9. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    New Aircraft and functionality!

Hey guys and gals, here is an update on the project.

Created a new aircraft Fuselage. This new fuselage will be a bit heavier but will be stronger and be able to carry more weight. I also added some new flight maneuvers to help avoid danger (or help you meet the side of a mountain very quickly!) watch the video below for a quick demo of the new feature.

and here are some screens of the new ship:

Attached Files:

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    I like that fuselage.

11. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Thanks dude! my plan is to have at least 10 in the final version ( i have 3 now). I will post here as the new ones roll in.

12. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Hey everyone, it has been quite a while since I have posted any updates. Wanted to take a second and post a quick video showing some more combat against an early version of the new AI enemies. I still have a ton of work to do on the AI to make them more dynamic and interesting. These early versions are really more to ensure that the combat controls will work well. So far I like how they feel, but there is definitely room for improvement in that area. Please let me know what you think!

13. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    MAVAN updated for controller support

Hey guys finally got around to updating MAVAN to use the new controller support in iOS 7. This is just a first pass at the actual controls, they will most likely change to keep up with new features. Also there are new awesome explosions! Enjoy!

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

15. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Actually no I haven't seen this one yet. I think it looks pretty awesome. I think I may have to change the name of my game though, hmm. I came up with my idea a little over a year ago, and wan't trying to rip anyone off, just wanted to make a game that I would like to play.

16. Bronxsta

Wasn't accusing you, was just curious. Two relatively unknown indie games, I would have been surprised if you had heard of MAV. Guess it's just a popular concept.

Your game looks like a lot of fun, and the building mechanic seems pretty simple and deep

17. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Thanks I really appreciate that! Yeah the concept of building your own vehicle and then blowing up stuff just sounds fun! His game looks like a blast, I am downloading as we speak. I hope to make the building in my game intuitive and incredibly deep at the same time. I am almost to a point of getting beta testers to help with feedback. I will post more info here when that time comes. Thanks again for the kind words!

18. Bronxsta

You're welcome. Always cool to discover interesting new games

Another game you might be interested in is Scraps. Actually I discovered MAV because the developer posted in the Scraps thread on TIGForum

Scraps has a public builder demo, and it's cars not planes or mechs, but if you wanted to try it: http://www.scrapsgame.com/

19. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    ah wow that looks sweet. Man I am thinking I should have put up a kickstarter! haha well I am downloading that one too. Thanks for the tip!

20. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #20 JCho133, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    Wow! I can believe it took me so long to discover this, it looks awesome! I read through this thread and the thread on the Unity forums and watched all the videos, and this looks sweet!

I gotta say, I was hooked as soon as you put the first engine on your vehicle in the assembly demo. Haha, and I think the barrel roll is a nice touch and the explosions in the MOGA controller video made me smile.

Now, sorry if I overwhelm you haha, but I have a few questions etc.

Will there be a currency/unlock system for aircraft parts? Because I think that'll add replayability and give incentive for players to come back, as well as a sense if progression, which increases the fun-factor

Will there be lasers/machine guns? I like the way the missiles are balanced, and I think you could do something similar with machine guns/lasers (I'll refer to them as "7" because typing machine guns/lasers is tedious, as well as typing this parenthetical). Since 7 would have an advantage of not waiting for lock on, the fact that they can't lock is what balances them (ok I'm saying the obvious but oh well). Perhaps machine guns could be fast firing low-damage, and lasers could be slow firing high damage? Or lasers could be continuous fire with a cooldown/reload.

Also, do you think this will be a campaign with progression through levels and missions, or an arena/wave based game like Strike Wing Raptor Rising? I saw that you were still thinking on these things but thought I'd see if you'd gotten any new ideas.

I've subscribed to this thread and I'll be checking in regularly, and would be absolutely delighted to assist in a beta test.

Good luck out there (;