Turn based strategy games fans wanted (E.g. wesnoth, advance wars, panzer general)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by HedgehogLogic, Sep 30, 2009.

1. HedgehogLogic

HedgehogLogic Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Developer
    London UK
    Hi,

Being a life-long fan of strategy war games, I was very disappointed with the range of offerings when I got my iPhone. So much so, that I have decided to put a strategy game together. (Screenshot attached below)

It is now nearing completion and I am looking for few more strategy game fans to broaden the current beta test team. So if you find turn based strategy war games interesting - head over to http://hedgehoglogic.pbworks.com/BetaRequest#.

The primary selection is based on your interest in war games, but any experience with beta testing iPhone apps is a plus so please mention it on the form. :D

Cheers,

David Zverina / Hedgehog Logic

P.S.: If you're not into betas and just want to follow the progress, you can follow us on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/HedgehogLogic

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    David - this looks like an intriguing take on the genre. Can't wait to see how it plays! Am glad to see more developers diving into the strategy wargame realm!

Submitted a request for beta.

3. TomBombadil

TomBombadil Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Have you tried UniWar?

4. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Also submitted a beta request. I agree with you that the paltry offering of Turn Based Strategy games on the iPhone is a real shame. It's also a shame that yours will probably have to compete with Battle for Wesnoth, but there's room on my phone for both games.

5. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    +1 look like another UniWar clone.. and the graphic looks... hum....

6. HedgehogLogic

HedgehogLogic Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Developer
    London UK
    I have tried Uniwar - and while it is a good game, in Five Star General, I have set out to create a game with much greater tactical depth.

With Uniwar you will never overcome the first tactical advantage yielded to a decent player. It's kind of like playing tennis - and having to hold a racquete with one less finger after losing a ball. The result becomes quite predictable after seeing the outcome of the first ball!!

In order to win Five Star General you will have to be consistently better than your opponent in strategy, tactics and planning.

7. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Besides the strategy difference I fail to see any difference between this and Uniwar, and that other clone with the hexagon tiles. You were disappointed with the tiny amount of strategy games in the store weren't you? Why not create something that's new and original, and surprise the audience? It's guaranteed to make a profit, even if means simply overturning the visuals; because right now I can't tell the difference between this game and Uniwar and the other clone.

8. floyd

floyd Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Applied :) Looks cool and good to hear your philosophy. I think there is plenty of room for more complex strat games than Uniwar on iDevice.

The graphics don't concern me that much... Its great that you are listing Panzer General as inspiration. I played that to death years ago, along with the IMO even better Fantasy General.

9. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    Have you played the game? If not, it's very difficult to determine the quality of a hex-based TBS from screenshots. Really, they all look more or less the same.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I play ASL, does that count? ;)

Form submitted. :cool:

11. HedgehogLogic

HedgehogLogic Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Developer
    London UK
    Advanced squad leader definitely counts!! :)

Thanks to everyone that's replied already. The first release should be going to you on Monday. Which means you still have little bit of time to get your replies in, if you haven't done so already!

12. Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Slaving peon.
    Not here; not there; not anywhere!
    Looks interesting. There can never be enough turn-based strategy games! ;)

13. joja15

joja15 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I signed up for the beta. Will we receive an email as soon as we are accepted for the beta or will we only receive it on Monday when the release goes out?

I am definitely looking forward to a deep tactical game like Panzer General. I played Advance Wars and the Panzer General clone on the DS a ton.

Thanks,
    John

14. HedgehogLogic

HedgehogLogic Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Developer
    London UK
    I'll be making the beta list on Monday - hence you will only be emailed on Monday. Given your experience, you're in with very good chance though!

Cheers,

David

15. HedgehogLogic

HedgehogLogic Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Developer
    London UK
    Last call - beta going out tonight! :)

16. Comassion

May 23, 2009
    Looking forward to it. :)

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Cool beans! :)

18. HedgehogLogic

HedgehogLogic Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Developer
    London UK
  19. floyd

floyd Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Hey,

I got accepted into the beta but didn't have time until late tonight to email you my system specs. I just did send them though. Will I have to wait for the next beta? Cheers :)

20. TooSlo

TooSlo Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Just wanted to ping you on the messageboard here. I made sure to email in my specs through the app you'd requested. Hopefully that'll do the job. Everything is looking good mate. Can't wait to give this app a go if selected. The world could use more TBS games!