iPhone Small World 2 (By Asmodee Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So as the AI kicks my ass every time so far, I can't complain about it...YET, but I still have some wishes for the future.

1) Ability to do more than 2 players.
    2) Some basic stat tracking for Player vs. AI games (Win/Loss ratio for player vs. AI, and maybe the Average Point Differential per game. With the tracking of this Average Point Differential we can know, sure, he won most of his games but on the whole is he smashing the opposition or barely squeaking by? Inversely even if losing most games, this average point differential shows how close these losses tended to be).

I'm assuming they've INTENTIONALLY left out the Diplomat ability since it really would make no sense in a 2 player game...but does this mean they then had to leave out a race to keep stuff even? :confused:

Oh, my last question for the pros here, if I pay to get a Ability and Race Combo further down the stack, is this money going to the bank or my opponent?

2. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I haven't verified it, but I am 99% certain all races from the main set are here. The diplomate ability was most likely left out intentionally as it can break the 2 player game easily.

If you pay for a combo down the stack, the money (points) are left on the above races, and they go to whoever picks that race.

3. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No way, that is too cute, so say there is a combo that has been passed up by both players multiple times, if you still manage to pick it up before the game ends, you might get a nice little "Signing Fee" bonus? :p

4. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    That is the way the board game works, so it should be the same in the iPad implementation. I've yet to play a full game on the iPad, so I can't say for sure that it actually does this, though.

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    From what I recall it does certainly look like the coins are just being laid out there and not collected...I just had no idea that it could be cumulative and that there then was a way to win this stuff back.

6. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Yep, that's exactly how it works. It certainly helps balance out the "less than desireable" power/race combos.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So while Darwinism should have weeded out these undesirable combinations, leave it to the One Small World Government to subsidize these losers! :rolleyes:

8. Here is my quick overview of rules.

- choose race / power combo with numbers added together indicating size of your troops. For each race you skip pay one money coin which can be scooped up by either you or your opponents later when picking that ostracized race / power combo.

- conquer land always takes 2 troops (of course some powers or racers can modify this amount). Additional +1 troop for mountains, troll lairs, tiki huts. Must always start at edge unless you have flying monkeys (forgot race name).

- collect 1 point (points and money same thing) for each land conquered at end of turn. Race / power can give bonus points for certain land.

- decline race (losing one turn...unless you have that special race) and flip over troops. Only one race in decline at a time unless you have that special race.

- Most points wins. Never gets old as the race / power combos are different each game and the order in which they come out. Must figure out how to prevent someone from scoring +15 points a turn. Must adjust strategy each turn to counter your opponents.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Succinct and hit a lot of good points I missed, thanks!

Curious, however, when placing a race, can I simultaneously encroach the map from multiple sides or, once I place my first guy, do all further territories need to be adjacent?

Your race and ability summations in post #4 were great but you might want to, if you get a chance, add in the troop values of each race and ability since your chart there is often more accessible than trying to get info in game (sure in game it is easy to see existing combos but if being a geek and trying to strategize about potential future combos you'd love to hold out for...).

10. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Once you start your conquest, all future conquests with that race need to be adjacent, unless you have flying.

11. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Is this game like Risk?

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I would have thought so but not really. There is definitely taking over territories and deciding which areas you want to leave reinforced by the end of the turn, but the combat, for the most part, is almost all predetermined.

When you are the active player you chose the area you want to attack and if you have the required amount of troops to win the battle, the battle is automatically won without a die rolled. The only time a die is ever rolled is if doing an attack where you might be short a troop or two to make the required attack in which case you roll the game's special die (gives results of 0-3) and if that then gave you the required number of troops or higher when added to your existing force you've won and otherwise you need to permanently toss one of your troopers and end your attacks for the turn.

13. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    It looks like the game was just updated to have the two expansions, Grand Dames and Cursed! available as DLC. I don't have my iPad with me at the moment so I can't tell what the prices are, but it is nice to see.

Hopefully the newest expansion will be added soon as well. It will take a little bit more work as it adds a new mechanism to the game where these two small expansion just add new races and powers.

14. Caprone

Caprone Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Please developers, please...Make a future update including italian language...Me and many other Small World players will be very happy about that...

15. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    And an iPhone version! They've done the expansions now and still not downsized, dangit!

16. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Each pack is $1.99. Not too bad. Think I'll pick them up!

17. HipHopTouch

HipHopTouch Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Game looks nice and I've watched the videos... may purchase in the near future...

Is it similar to Carcassonne in a loose sense? And is it as fun?

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Spendy but, GOSH DANG, I have no choice as I MUST have them!

19. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Not really, it is more about placing armies and claiming and then fighting over territories - more interactive in that sense than Carcassonne. And SW still doesn't have an online matchmaking interface, right? But they have been a lot quicker with expansions than Carcassonne devs :).

But yes, SW is fun, and it would be fun on my iPhone.

20. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I would not compare it to Carcassone. It's hard to compare it to anything, really. It is an excellent game and is very fun, though. Probably the best board game for the iPad so far. Definitely get it if you like games like Risk, Carcassone, and even Magic: The Gathering. It's got elements of all of them.

I feel like this far too often! :eek: