No offense to older gen devices but Dead Space should have been only for 3rd gen & up

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Wediafom24, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Can you imagine what EA would have done to the graphics if they had only ported Dead Space exclusively for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 (iPod touch 3rd gen and 4th gen respectively). Dead Space as it is perfect but still....

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Devs will have to drop support for old devices eventually, but I think at this point, Dead Space looks pretty darn good as it is.

Even if it was designed with newer devices in mind, most of the differences wouldn't be noticable, unless you knew they were there. Probably more realistic lighting and shadows, things like that.

Having an iPad myself, I always enjoy seeing it's limits pushed, but when I step back and realize I'm playing something most consoles and pcs would have trouble doing less than a decade ago, I'm satisfied. Graphics and gameplay execution like this on something thinner than my hand.

Great time to be a gamer :)

3. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Dont forget iPad! They can make more sales with more devices possible, which is fine by me because that increases the odds of higher production games like this one...when they can find it economically feasible. Fair trade for what you're asking for in my book!

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    YEP they should have

5. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Yeah well said guys. While I was playing DS on my iPhone last night, I was also thinking about Gears Of War or Resistance being ported on the iPhone. After DS, I believe the sky is the limit. Job well done to EA!!

6. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Why? Dont you want DS to be succesful? The game is already being sold for only 7 bucks <_<! Just imagine if all of the sudden you cut half the instal base of the iOs users just to make the graphics a little better (which would ramp up the development cost even more...).
    I mean I LOVE that this game is on iOs (I dont have neither a PSP or DS) but i feel kind of sad for EA, will they brake even with this game in this platform? Also when i read some of the reviews that say something like: "omfgbbq!! What a waste off moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyythis should have cost 1.99!!!! lol lol lol!" my faith in the iOs gaming die a little :p

7. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    When playing Dead Space I forget I'm playing on my ipod :)

8. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    If I understood you correctly, I understand it's benefitcial for EA to include all generations but at the same time, they are compromising graphics and more content. I see what you mean about those stingy people. Com'on it's only $7. If EA is willing to put out more games like DS, $7 is not a factor to me.

9. Uberblake

Uberblake Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    That's like saying that you should kill all working old people, so you benefit .1%.

10. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    You know, I just looked at some of the reviews and I've only seen one douchebag that wrote something of the sort. The other 1 star reviews were because the game kept crashing on them. Otherwise the game is averaged at a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars.

11. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I think people should be happy the game look this good. I am surprised anyone would put this much work into the graphics and game just to sell it for $7. I'm personally happy with near PS2 quality graphics and Dead Space is way above that.

12. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    No, that is not what I meant. Plus, how do you know that 3rd gen and above owners are 1%??

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I haven't picked this one up as yet I kind of decided I wouldn't buy another EA app until they actually added multiplayer to Fifa I hate companys promising things at release and not following through.

I'd say there is a very large market for 3gs and above personally though and they are probably the part of the market that has the most disposable income but I think it's as likely the 2nd gen and earlier will last just as long in the app store.

Next generation of iphones and ipods will probably bring the death of the earlier models (fourth and all) all at once the hardware should be leagues ahead with all the recent developments.

Basicly I'm predicted that the 5th Gen will kill off everything we have now and likely not share the same apps.

14. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    #14 Wediafom24, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    @Teknikal, i told myself that I would never purchase EA games unless they update FIFA 11, but after playing Dead Space in my friends iPhone, I was sold. Anyway, you're right, they promised MP about 5 months ago and still no update. I have waited so long that I have lost hope that FIFA 11 will never be updated as promised. I have no doubt FIFA 12 will be released without any aknowledge to FIFA 11):

Anyway, I am planing to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to iPhone 5 (this summer) if it's coming. I heard It's going to use Dual-core proccesoer which dramatically improves gaming and other tasks on the iPhone. Here is the link http://www.9to5mac.com/49217/dual-core-processor-on-tap-for-iphone-5

15. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    The 5th generation and 6th generation will just be faster processor and speed improvements. I'll stick with my ipt4 till ipt7 or possibly the new sony device depending on how the reviews are. I think more than 50% of people are 2nd generation or 1st generation, if devs continue to supply older devices than no-one will see that big of a reason to upgrade. Therefore, app companies must start to exclude the older generation of devices for even better quality and even Apple makes more money.

16. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    It took me a while to realize DS stood for Dead Space instead of Nintendo DS lol. I was like what?! DS on the iPod? :D

17. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Lol, that would be weird!!

18. ReventonX

ReventonX Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I enjoy DS a lot more on my ipad than iphone4 personally the gaming experience are better on larger screen.

19. Wediafom24

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Yeah, EA should have made DS exclusively for 3rd gen and up.

20. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    They can just make a second version exclusively for 3rd and 4th gen. Rage is a good example for that.