Universal Infinity Blade II - (by Chair Entertainment Group, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JeNeI, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That's cheating... show some guts and die like a man.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #962 Vovin, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    This is the worst major release this year.
    It's not only bugged like hell (even after an update), it's all the same like IB 1.
    Sure, bit bigger, more enemies, different fighting techniques, but still a waste of time, space and money, because it's not only more of the same, but the devs also killed the strange and mysterious sci-fi atmosphere from IB 1.
    There are also issues in the responsiveness of the controls, making dodges and blocks or parrying a game of luck instead of skill. Glitches and sound issues continue to spoil the fun to play.
    There's much more to critisize, but these are just minor things.

3. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    It's a game and some would rather not start over, me included sometimes.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    What did you want new in it? It's a fighting game! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. robertgarcia

robertgarcia Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Free roaming. And a zillion more things. All for 7 $.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

A fighting game with a fantastic and mysterious atmosphere like IB 1?
    With responsive controls? Without having to start from the beginning unwanted every once in a while? With new enemies instead of a lot of recycled and reskinned ones?

7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I'm with you on this. Although there was really not much of a story in IB 1, the bits and pieces were extremely intriguing. And they really just killed that for a far more conventional story.

But I have to admit that I haven't checked the novel yet, should read it perhaps.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Who said that? Or was this just a bad guess?

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #969 Vovin, Dec 4, 2011

Yes, although not much of a story, but a lot of open question you were able to think about. You were actually able to put your own background story together. I like it when some things aren't explained in every detail. It's like reading a fascinating mystery story with a boring solving at the end, where everything is explained and the mystery itself is destroyed.

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    They should just not release a buggy game, plain and simple. The fix shouldn't be my responsibility. They should just be embarrassed and fix this buggy game, plain and simple.
    Test it, get it right, no excuses on a major release. This is Mickey Mouse territory as far as I'm concerned.

And to all the review sites giving this game a perfect score....they should be as embarrassed considering the major bugs.

11. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    While I keep getting the 9000+ version glitch, no matter how many times I delete and redownload the game, I for one am not afraid of losing my save. This is because nearly every other time I restart the game, I get my save back.

It is annoying when you're on the road with an iTouch and you're stuck without your save, though...

12. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Eh, story is subjective. However, I do miss the darkness of the old one. i don't mind this story though (or at least what I've been able to play).

Controls were responsive for me, it was the cutscenes that were killing me. This could be helped by them reducing the graphics.

Yeah, I could've done with more variation, but again this is a fighting game an one on iOS at that. As me about all the console fighting games I've played since Sega that were reskinned or only had a few new characters. It's not easy coming up with new monsters, you know. Not to be a smart ass, but you could always offer to help them out if you have some fresh, new ideas.

Yeah bugs suck but I've come to know them well. The good thing about console is that you can usually exploit the hell out of them for your own personal gain. On iOS, you get unwanted crashes and so forth. I wonder if the platform was taken more seriously, would bugs be less frequent? :rolleyes: This wasn't a shot at you!

Did you ever think this was a bridge to the third game?

I think he said it because of the amount of people wanting this to be a RPG.

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I think I have thought of the reason that this is getting so many full mark reviews, obviously chair is giving *bum love* to all the reviewers.
    As from my point of view (iPod 4g user) it hardly ever loads and if it does sometimes it has no sound effects. Then you come back and your save has vanished, oh and did I forget the stuttering frame rate?
    IMO what a let down, the first game was amazing but IB2 has been ruined by a rushed launch.

14. BirkusTheGreat

BirkusTheGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #974 BirkusTheGreat, Dec 4, 2011
    Loaded the updated version onto my sister's ipod (same version as mine), no flaws...updating mine now, hopefully this works..

I understand everyone's frustration, but despite the flaws, I'm loving this game. I enjoy playing it, and the way everything looks, so I wasnt too crushed the one time I lost my saved game. And please stop critisizing the reviewers, they played on the iphone 4s, and from what I've heard, the game runs perfectly on that device.

I also think any flaws are because of Apple, NOT Chair. Apple was the one pushing for the december 1 release date. I'm confident Chair will have things running smoothly in no time, especially because it's essentially Iphone's flagship game.

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #975 GoofyJmaster., Dec 4, 2011
    Agreed! The game is definitely buggier than it needs to be. What I did get to play of it was great; only had to deal with laggy cutscenes. Now I can't play at all and I'm not a happy camper anymore.

Just business, ya know! ;)

Edit
    I love my iPod, but sometimes Apple and all the nonsense makes me want to go back to console. Then I can enjoy my game system fully for about 8 years.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I must say that the achievements in IB2 are a bit of a disappointment. Merely 4 reflect an accomplishment. ALL the rest are either incremental ("Do this 100 times"), or eventual ("Attain level 10"), as in that you will eventually reach them if you just keep playing, regardless of skill or accomplishment.

Of the four that DO reflect a certain feat, three are very, very easy. Win a fight without taking damage with Sword and Shield, with Dual Weapons, and with heavy Weapons. I got the first after the first fight. The fourth, win a fight without attacking the enemy, is probably a lot more creative and hard to attain (though I might be wrong in that regard). I wish there were another 30 achievements along similar lines.

I'm curious: are there any players out there experiencing any sense of achievement when told that they've done something reasonably trivial a hundred times (as opposed to performing a really challenging action a set number of times, which is another matter entirely), or when informed that they've accomplished something anyone can do if they play long enough?

17. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I can confirm this. Just finished a second playthrough at lvl 52 and my ng+ is still at 28 which is frustrating. I hope they change it to the IB1 format where you can choose whether to go to ng+ or not. Ironically it makes the game feel more grindy if you have to avoid finishing the game to keep levelling until you're a high enough level. As opposed to cranking up GK levels and seeing if you can beat a lvl 1500 Gk or whatever.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I'm not really a fan of do this a 100, 1000, 10, 0000 times achievements. As much as I hate COD nowadays, some of the best achievements were on Modern Warfare 2. Look those up if you want to see what achievements should be. First and only game I ever got every single achievement for; well a few arcade games, and came close on Mass effect and Fable.

Nonetheless, I'm an achievement whore. :eek:

19. Reese015

Reese015 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Been playing this for a bit now, was a maaaassive fan of the first and played it to death (put like 60 hours into it or so). Thus far IB2 is kinda impressive but the performance is a bit worse than IB1 (I'm on iPhone 4) and it has kept me from being as immersed in it as the first one. Pity cause on every other front the game seems fantastic.

20. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    EXACTLY how I feel about this game. The only technical issue Ive ever encountered is the occasional lag. This, and the fact that it is never as smooth as the original really keep me from being immersed the same way I was with IB1. But I've found that for the smoothest experience, restart your device each time before you play.
    (I updated the game btw)
    But I am very optimistic that Chair will smooth everything out eventually. Then everyone will consider it an "iOS Masterpiece".