iPhone Forbidden Island

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 16, 2011.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Curious, as just a consumer here. If at some point your game does enable voice chat and say it is a bit of a battery drain, would that even effect those solo players not utilizing that chat? Or in other words, is that potential battery draining aspect from use of the feature or simply by playing the game once is an enabled feature?

2. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    Personally, I like text chat... I'm a hard of hearing person... Not joking!

By the way, iAP now seems properly working, so the extra 10 island set... INSTABUY!

:)

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I agree, if only because voice chat isn't useful in async matches.

The reason I love async board games on iOS is because I'm playing with people on the other side of the country (or in some cases, other parts of the world) where a live game just won't work very often due to the time difference.

Text chat will be useful to more people than voice chat, in my opinion.

4. We haven't implemented it yet, so I can't say for sure. However, if you are sending or receiving voice signals with others, it would have a similar effect on the battery as using Skype - since the wifi or cellular radio would be transmitting more data. However, if none of the users used the feature (or you could opt out of receiving signals), then the data transmission would be reduced.

We've also discussed enabling a-sync play and text chat, but we are still in very early stages of investigation. The development of those two features is more difficult, though we realize it's a desirable way to play as well.

- Sean

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #65 crunc, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    Yeah, voice chat is only useful for live play. Asynch and text chat would be good too, obviously.

And I finally played and, yes, this is fun. I lost twice, both times losing the landing point. The first game I would have won except I drew a water rises and it put all the cards back after only 5 cards, and with 5 cards to be drawn, one of which was the landing point which was already flooded. Doh! Fun, and a bit nerve wracking game. :)

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Finally won a game last night. On easy. It was my 4th or 5th game. Good stuff. One thing I wish is that the pawns, or whatever they're called, were easier to see. I feel like they blend in a bit. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if they stood out better.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
  8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
  9. kikemenendez

kikemenendez Member

Jun 18, 2012
    1000 thanks for the spanish support. Great game.

10. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #70 mzinn, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Such an amazing game. What a blast. It took me a little bit to figure out a winning strategy but once I did I'm having so much fun. With Forbidden Desert coming out next week I can see these two earning a pernament spot on my iPad.

What has happened? I can't get enough board games on my iPad :)
    So many awesome titles!

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Bump: on sale for $1.99