Ad-supported App ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nicolasgb, Apr 17, 2012.

1. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    #1 nicolasgb, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone have good experience to share on implementing advertising as the main revenue stream for a free iPhone app ?

My main concern is how to find a network that fits the demographics of our app. Most of our users are in France and Italy, so i'm wondering if it's possible to find networks offering inventory optimized for those countries, as opposed to say, US or UK. (am I even making any sense?)

Here is some context :
    Our free game Ski Champion came out 3 weeks ago and got about 150K downloads. This is far above our expectations so we are extremely happy :) However, we meant to monetize thru sales of In-App Purchases, but that failed completely as our payer conversion rate is nowhere near the 1-5% you hear getting kicked around in conversations about F2P. I can find many reasons for that, but the bottom line is I don't think I can improve payer conversion without a large rehaul of the game, and that is not on the agenda at the moment. So I'm thinking I might as well try advertising as it seems simpler to implement.

Thanks in advance ! Any feedback is most welcome

2. Rhodesware

Rhodesware Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Disclaimer: I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've spent a lot of time and money to do the market research. :)

Your best bet might be to monetize using a service like Chartboost, it seems to pay the most per active user of your app. AdMob ads pay (and cost) practically nothing, so I would recommend against using them. I don't have much data on using iAds.

I would think if you use Chartboost, it would be able to recognize the user of the country and deliver targeted app ads to them.

I hope that helps in your search a bit.

- Matt