What game to play now? Plus a few mini-reviews

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twazzock, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    #1 Twazzock, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    While I was on holiday I gamed a fair bit on my iPod. Mainly while travelling etc. Completed a few games, so here are my impressions (may be spoilers):

Doom Resurrection: Really great. The controls are very good, graphics are lovely, missions are fast paced and the enemy variety is decent for an iPhone game. Bit disappointed that there wasn't a new enemy for the last boss, pretty sure I fought two of the same creature at once earlier in the game. 8/10

Rolando 2: What can I say? Sheer brilliance - not particularly challenging (although I have to admit, I didn't beat the challenge times that often) but really great fun. Controls beautifully, graphics are brilliant, and the gameplay is a blast, superbly balanced and enjoyable. I'll add that I didn't particularly enjoy the original, but this is a huge improvement. 9/10

Touch KO: Mixed bag tbh. In v1.0 at least, I honestly think the game is a little broken. Certainly in regards to how much damage you seem to take even when you're clearly battering your opponent. Also the fact that you can stand there blocking for the entire match and your opponent will just stand there, without even attempting to swing a punch. Especially early on, the AI opponents might as well be pacifist punch bags. That said, the graphics are decent and it's quite satisfying to rise up through the ranks. However, once I became champion I felt no need to continue playing. 5/10

Infinity Gene: I can see the appeal, the graphics are really cool to look at and the gameplay is fast paced and jazzy. Not my type of game, although I can't deny that it has loads and loads of content if you really enjoy playing it. Would deff recommend to anyone who likes top down arcade shooters of the same genre. For me personally I'd say it was a bit average, but I can see some people really digging it. 7/10

Minigore: At this stage it's exactly what I expected. I never particularly bought into the hype so I wasn't disappointed, but not exactly impressed either. The presentation of the game is excellent, though ultimately the gameplay is shallow and failed to keep my attention for long. I'm not actually going to give it a score, as I realise there are plenty of major updates to come. This is more of a first impressions kinda thing.

So there ya go. I don't consider myself a particularly adequate reviewer at all so I apologise if you didn't find this helpful. Just thought I might as well post my thoughts on a few games if some might find it useful.

Anyway, I was wondering what I should play now. I'm currently playing Zenonia and enjoying it, although the amount of grinding needed is a little intimidating for a relative noob when it comes to RPGs. I dabbled with RE4 but I hate the controls, and I've had enough of TD games. So what would you recommend I sink my teeth into next? Thanks in advance guys.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If those are the kind of reviews you leave on the app store, then you're setting a fine example :)

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    So, "dis game iz awesomes!!!!! XD" doesn't cut it?

4. Twazzock

Jul 1, 2009
    Short, sharp and to the point. I like it ;)

5. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Well in my free time I play Ragdoll Blaster (it gets really hard), Balloon Pop (addictive), The Deep Pinball, Copterkid, all Gamevils games, Racer, flightControl, Baseball Slugger

6. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Thank you. Very informative and to the point reviews!

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Match 3D Flick Puzzle, Skabooki, Triazzle, Puzzlings, Gomi, Play Marbles, and Spybot Chronicles are all games you might want to look into.

8. qwerty12

qwerty12 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Very good reviews. i wasn't going to buy Rolando 2 because I didn't like the first one that much either but for some reason you convinced me that I am going to get it when (and if) there is a price drop

9. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I might get skabooki.

I've been looking for a new game to get too, need stuff to exhaust my iTunes credit on.

10. Twazzock

Jul 1, 2009
    #10 Twazzock, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Spybot Chronicles has caught my eye, I like platformers. Gonna look up all the other games mentioned too.

It really is quite special. Often I'd complete a level, then think back and just be so impressed by how well designed it was. Little things, for example struggling to find your way around a group of enemies, then being given a way to defeat them with ease just when you were beginning to become frustrated. Also I forgot to mention how great the music is - I actually spent about half an hour on a car journey going around the music level (you roll a Rolando around, touching the tracks you want to play which are built into the level) just listening to the tunes.

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    The music is great :D
    I actually copied it into iTunes :p