Battery Bar Screwed?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Random_Guy, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Hey guys, I think that the battery bar of my iPhone 3G is screwed.

I've just updated my software to 3.0, and ever since, my battery bar does not show when it is nearly empty or not.

For example, before the update, I would play Let's Golf! for 1.5 hours straight and the battery bar would show that I have half left.

However, ever since the new software update, the battery bar does not show that I am losing battery, but instead, it stays at full.

My iPhone had just suddenly shut down because it had run out of battery, and I didn't know this because my battery bar is screwed!

Can someone please help me? How do I fix this problem?

PS: I could always let my iPhone automically shut down and then I would have to charge it, but I heard that if you keep letting your iPhone battery run empty, it would wreck it.

And if I am still under warranty, am I able to get a free battery replacement?

Thanks.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, with warrantly, you're probably safe. Try downloading Free Memory or some app with a battery gauge. If that's off too, then you definitely wanna bring it to apple.

3. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    maybe you just have a jesus battery, 3.0 made your battery super good, and now it lasts forever?

4. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Do you know any battery gauge apps that are free?

5. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    No, the battery bar shows that its full, but it is actually draining every minute.

6. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Am I the only one, or has this happened to someone else before as well?

7. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    From what I've heard, using your electronic devices all the way to the end of their batteries, and then fully charging again will allow them to retain the best charge.

8. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I've heard that charging your iPhone when its battery is low is good for the battery, but I thought that letting it go empty and then charging it wrecks the phone?

9. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I've heard that too. Can't confirm it =P

10. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Mine just crashed randomly while plugged in o_O

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Well, I've done it a few times on my touch, and it doesn't seem to have hurt it.

--Eric

12. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    you should wait until the new ipod comes out then take it back and get a refund and then buy the new 1 with some extra money. :D

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    My undersrtanding with modern electronics is:

* For best battery longevity, just use the "top of the charge." Charge often, don't let it get low unless you have a need to. (This it the opposite of how devices used to be years ago, with a different battery type.)

* However, letting the charge run down all the way, every now and then, will calibrate the battery METER. It will make the meter read more accurately. (No effect on actual battery life.)

So, charge often--but letting it run down once in a while is fine.

That's my understanding, for laptops, iPods and iPhones. I forget the names of the battery types involved :eek:

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #14 crunc, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
    I'd suggest trying a restore. Make sure you first sync your iPhone, then do a restore (via the restore button in iTunes). After it erases it and installs the firmware you can choose to restore from your backup and it will resync all your music, games, etc, and your data, so you don't lose anything. Note that depending on how much stuff you have it will take a *long* time, so plan for that. I'm doing a restore now on my 1st gen iPod touch because after installing 3.0, though it was working well for an hour or two, Safari started freezing it (I mean, my entire iPod freezes.) Even after a restart it would do it again, and regardless of what website I tried going to.

Also, if this doesn't help, then I would restore again, but this time set it up as a new iPhone/iPod. You can still sync all your music, apps, etc, back including contacts and such, but you will lose all your data. :( Hopefully the restore from backup will work, though.

EDIT: One other note in case you've never done a restore before: it first erases and installs the firmware, and only then it asks you if you want to restore from backup or set it up as a new iPod/iPhone. That first step takes 5 minutes or so and the rest of the process takes *hours*, so don't just start the process and then leave thinking that in the morning it will be done!!!! You have to answer the question of whether to restore from backup or setup as new iPod/iPhone! If you don't it will only have gotten that 5 minutes or so into the process and then it will just be sitting there waiting for your answer all night!!!

15. zipper

zipper Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Adams is thinking of lithium based batteries.
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    Here's what apple's manual says on batteries

Running them down (cycling), will make your battery indicator more accurate and is generally good for the health of your battery. Although the battery indicator will be more accurate, you may or may not be getting better battery life, it just seems that way.

Running them down completely is okay if you do it like once a month, but NOT anymore often. They reccommend you run it completely down once every (two months?) so often.

16. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Download Free Memory, it has a built in battery guage. Take it to Apple to maybe or somehow re-download the 3.0 for free cause it could be a problem with the OS...