Gameloft's NOVA and inverted Y-axis controls petition

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by andytizer, Jan 5, 2010.

1. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    #1 andytizer, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    I'm posting here to try to generated a response because Gameloft's forums have a lot of registration difficulties depending on region (even UK).

For those used to inverted controls (which virtually every FPS game has included since +mouselook was invented - including Gameloft's Modern Combat), NOVA does not yet have inverted controls, making it unplayable for me at the moment.

Virtually every FPS has the option for inverted Y-axis, just look in your game options. Quake had it, 2, 3, 4, GTA 3, 4, Tomb Raider, Dragon Age, WoW, etc.. even all iPhone FPS have it such as Eliminate and Modern Combat. Many people are used to it because of controlling aircraft sims where moving up is performed by pushing the joystick down.

If you don't use inverted controls.. just imagine you are playing an FPS on the PC and W is bound to walk backwards and having no option to rebind it, or on the 360 if the left trigger was bound to fire without an option to rebind. You can see that it would be a problem to have a control scheme that deviated radically from a standardized control scheme.

Please show your support for inverted controls in FPS's. If control options are acceptable for the iPhone's FPS 'killer app', then other developers may decide not to include them in their future FPS releases.

2. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Progmatically, I don't see how complicated
    it could be to implement this feature. While I don't ever use it myself, I agree it should be added. Eliminate didn't have it until 1.1, I believe? Perhaps nova will do the same.. But gamloft doesn't seem to update too much.

3. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Gameloft should really add some kind of support in because a significant percentage of gamers like me feel cheated that full support hasn't been incorporated.

Do something Gameloft, I want my £3.99 to be spent on something that I can play!

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well I agree that it should be there.
    I am still curious as to why people have different control preferences.
    I can't imagine playing this game with inverted controls, I would hate it, but I will only play a flight sim if the controls are inverted because it represents the joystick.

Here's a question - when you play a flight sim, do you use the standard inverted controls or do you use the inverted inverted controls (not inverted) where up is up and down is down?

5. CAPTAINK555

CAPTAINK555 Active Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Area 51
    Even though I don't use inverted controls, nova should still have them. If gameloft can put inverted controls in modern combat, than I don't see why they can't with nova.

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't understand how people can play with inverted controls, and thus, why they would be wanted (other than a flight sim of course)

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    seriously, the only time i see inverted controls as appropriate would be an aviation game.

8. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I certainly got used to inverted FPS controls after playing flight sims and 3rd person action games with my mouse. It makes sense if you think about it as controlling someone's head (pushing forward on the top of someone's head makes them look down and vice versa).

Anyway these are standard controls so Gameloft should really do something about it. Please show your support if you can, because for gamers like myself NOVA is completely unplayable unless they patch it.

9. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    It's not unplayable. You just need to get used to it...

You can't be a "gamer" if you can't adapt to new controls. It's a FPS not a flight sim. Most FPSs have regular controls so you're going to moan at every game that doesn't? Get used to it. I regularly switch between F.A.S.T. and NOVA and Eliminate just fine.

10. cjh79

cjh79 New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Imagine you have your thumb on top of your character's head and you'll get it. It's just a different way of thinking about controlling a character.

This option is a pretty glaring omission for an FPS. I was about to buy this game until I discovered this. Oh well.

11. NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    This is what's keeping me from buying this game. It is effortless to implement and Gameloft's refusal to implement it can only be seen as defiance. You could invert the mouselook even in Duke Nukem 3D on DOS. Every other game has had this feature in it. The only one that I can even think of at the top of my head that didn't is Terminator Salvation, also by Gameloft.

12. septimus

septimus Member

May 13, 2009
    Shame Gameloft didn't manage to rip off Halo's controls at the same time. Game is nigh on unplayable for me at the moment without inverted Y axis.

13. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I completely agree

I believe the first FPS in which I used mouse-look (effectively) was Jedi Knight 2 for the PC. If I remember correctly, it was inverted by default. Therefore, I have used that control scheme ever since. The lack of an "invert look" option is a glaring omission and the fact that it hasn't been corrected is simply foolish.

14. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    No inverted contorls? I guess I won't be buying NOVA.

Gameloft makes some solid iPhone games but they definately tend to leave them in the dust after release with few updates.

15. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    what r inverted controls?:eek:

16. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Hopefully they will soon add new options when they are optimizing NOVA for the iPad. Hopefully, they will release an update to NOVA on the iPhone as well to include inverted Y-Axis and better control options.

17. andytizer

andytizer Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Has anyone tried NOVA HD on iPad? Any inverted control options there?

18. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that any FPS doesn't have a simple option to invert the controls. I've been playing FPS games since I was 6 and always had it inverted and I too have a tough time playing it in normal. That's great that some can switch back and forth to the 2 different styles very easily, but others don't find it that easy...so you really shouldn't say such moronic things as "you can't be a gamer if..." BS. Not everyone is the same.

Now I'll admit it is easier to switch back and forth between the 2 styles on the touch screen, but it's still rather awkward. Also trying to get Gameloft to fix a lot of issues and problems in their games is almost always pointless...they're one of the worst companies out their when it comes to that and their customer service is horrid. They make great games, but they need a big slap in the face.

19. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Yes, Nova HD does have an inverted option, in the control settings. I wish you can turn off the 2 finger grenade swipe though, I tend to accidentally throw grenades all the time...one problem solved with the controls, another one in...for me at least :rolleyes:

20. FluffNStuff

FluffNStuff Member

Apr 24, 2010
    As stated by the previous, the iPad does have inverted controls which is big for me. Other then that though, I feel the ~control~ does not work on the iPad. Shooting and aiming is quite difficult with one hand because you also have to hold the iPad with both hands.