Universal Ridge Racer Slipstream - (by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #501 bilboa, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    I've been playing this game a lot in the last couple of days after taking a break from it for a few months, and wow, this game is extremely fun. I'm pretty sure it runs more smoothly now as well. On my iPad 4 I never see a single stutter any more, whereas I used to occasionally, and load times seem to be faster too. Definitely my favorite iOS racer. The driving itself just fits my taste to a T, with just the right combination of precision, depth, arcade drama, and accessibility.

That said, I'm noticing a few things that could be improved. Most of these have already been stated in this thread.

1. When using touch steering, it's too easy to accidentally hit the nitro button. Previously I'd been using tilt steering so hadn't been bothered by this, but I've switched to touch steering and I haven't been able to train myself to avoid hitting the nitro button accidentally. I think just moving the nitro button higher would solve the problem. Or allow control positions to be configurable.

2. I think the Auto nitro option is a bit overpowered compared to the other nitro options. In the Extreme Battle races the AI all use auto nitro, and it seems like in most events it's impossible to be competitive with them unless I also use Auto. The problem I have with that is I find the Ultimate and Normal nitro modes to be more fun, so I'd like it if they were more balanced against Auto. I think the fix is simply to make nitro charge more slowly in Auto mode.

3. In Arcade mode, at least in Regular races, the game seems to put me up against other cars in slower classes than my car, so the races are usually too easy. It seems random though, since occasionally it will put some cars in the same class as me. Arcade mode should allow choosing the difficulty, perhaps by at least allowing choosing which car class the opponents should be.

4. Online mode: bottom line is I almost never find another human to race against. Not sure what the problem is here, but effectively this is just a single player game for me. Not a huge deal since I like single player, but it would be cool if live multi-player actually worked.

5. Additional cars are too expensive, especially in class 1 and 2, so effectively you don't have much variety of cars. You have to spend either an extreme amount of time grinding, or spend an exorbitant amount of real money, to get more than one car in those classes. Given how cheap the initial price of the game was, (free now), I'd have no problem with them selling car packs for around $5 per class which include the 3 regular cars for that class. However as it is, I'm probably never going to get all the class 2 and class 1 cars. I'm sure more people would make in-app-purchases if the costs were more reasonable.

2. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #502 bilboa, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    I finally got tired of waiting for the Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i or another full size BT controller to come out, and bought a PS3 controller and jailbroke my iPad. This game works wonderfully with the controller.

Edit: I complained that the trigger buttons weren't mapped, but it turns out I was wrong about that. Not sure what was going on the first time I tried, but the triggers do work for brake and gas, and playing the game this way is wonderful, just like having a console racing game in my lap.

3. BulkSlash

BulkSlash Active Member

I've just completed it on my iPhone 6 Plus (spoiler: there's no reward or acknowledgment you've completed it). It plays fine but it is being upscaled from the iPhone 5 resolution. It looks good despite that, but hopefully they'll release an update at some point.

4. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    How does this play on iOS 10/current devices?

5. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    I love it MFi in racing only, if no controller than I usually go full throttle option. I've never done IAP's but the game doesn't really need them. I only wish there was mor of an R4 feel to it, but that's not a complaint. Cheers!

6. laiskumus

laiskumus Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Free and featured now, but with ads and timers

So, the game is now free on the app store, but has added constant spam of ads and also timers on car deliveries, upgrades, etc...

Does anyone know if any in-app purchase would remove the constant ads, and maybe also the timers? There is no word on that anywhere, and the in-app purchases don't mention that at all.