Trying to find a new-ish game similar to PacMan

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LostENT, Nov 2, 2012.

1. LostENT

LostENT Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #1 LostENT, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    I'm writing an article on labyrinth/maze-style games in 2012. Modern twists to PacMan or something along those lines. They should be simple in design and addicting in gameplay. I need 5, and have 4:

1. EVAC
    2. Forget-Me-Not
    3. Labyrinth 2
    4. LookOut-Blizzard

I'm looking for something new or noteworthy since the majority of these games have been written about already. I would prefer if it was not a "PacMan" title since the articles a tribute to PacMan. A circular avatar with a "collect-em/race-to-the-finish" goal. Free-to-play is preferable since all of those are paid so far.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Cheers.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I know it is a Pac-Man title, but Pac-Man CE is awesome.

You've already got two of my other favs -
    EVAC and Forget-Me-Not
    (not sure why the spoiler, but whatever).

3. LostENT

LostENT Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #3 LostENT, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Oh, I thought the spoiler BBC would be a tab like I've seen on other forums. Just did it to save space.

Trying to find something new and simple.
    There was an excellent thief game I came across but it doesn't really fit the theme of the article.
    edit: Treasure Grab

Thanks!
    edit: If no one suggests anything then I'll just use Sunday Lawn and tribute it as a classic flash game. Not exactly the avatar I was looking for but I cannot find anything better.

4. aeranth

aeranth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    #4 aeranth, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    There's this game that you should consider adding to that list, it is called Pakkuman's Defense. It seems like it could be in line with what you're looking for, I personally, think it is pretty cool. Reminiscent of Forget-Me-Not, but very much its own thing. The 'defense' element is an interesting addition, but not something you have much control over as a player, more like a power-up, or something. Otherwise, it largely plays like Pac-Man. The graphics and tunes are rather well-done considering how much this style is attempted these days; it certainly has won me over with its charms.

5. aeranth

aeranth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Oh, and apologies for being so technically daft... Otherwise, I would have simply added a link or started a new thread for it. There's always the option of the dreaded TouchArcadeBot, but generally, it seems those threads tend to be ignored...

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Does it have to be on iOS already? Radiangames said they were planning to port Fluid at some point, but currently it's just an Xbox Live game.

7. LostENT

LostENT Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #7 LostENT, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    I'm trying Pakkuman's Defense right now as we speak. I've finished writing about the first four and was hesitant to write about Sunday Lawn since it's far away from the theme so far. If it works out, which it looks like it will, then it will make the perfect fit.

Defense and dot-eating sounds original enough, while sticking to PacMan roots.

edit: Ok yea, this is perfect. Thank you very much.

It depends on when it would be released- I can always update the article with a 6th, or even 10 in the future. The labyrinth genre hasn't been pushing out too much recently so I don't know.

8. Silvanis

Silvanis Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    co-owner of Silver Moonfire
    I'm working on a game that sounds like something you would be interested in: Cops 'n Robbers. The main mechanic differences between Pac-Man and my game are different maze sizes and that you can hold the powerups for later use. Planning to release in December.

[​IMG]
    (Low-res screenshot; working on redoing the graphics for retina phones)

9. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Tentacleez is pretty awesome. Solid controls and a bit Lady Bug (I think it was called in the arcade ages ago) meets Pac Man. :)