Apple Not Allowing In Game Credits

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Apr 19, 2011.

1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    #1 triggywiggy, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
  2. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    I think it is both good news and bad news; various reasons support each side.

3. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
  4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm kinda glad. On the one hand it was an easy way to get credits, but on the other... I ended up downloading free crap I usually wouldn't touch just to launch it once and then delete it. It's a cheap attempt at boosting downloads and I wasn't exactly unhappy before the option came along, so I doubt I'll miss it.

5. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    You summed up my thoughts perfectly. :p

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lord have mercy on people who buy in-game currency. I don't know anyone who even plays free games, and there's hundreds of kids with iDevices in just my grade. So yeah, it doesn't really matter.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #7 MidianGTX, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
    It's not about buying in-game currency, it's about awarding currency for downloading other apps. Tapjoy is the one that springs to mind. You can get credits in games like Overkill by going through Tapjoy and downloading random free and paid apps that have signed up with the scheme.

...and speaking of Tapjoy: http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Tapjoy+news/news.asp?c=29243

I'm with Apple on this one. Tapjoy say it improves user experience? I've experienced it and I can't say it was an improvement. Half of the time the page won't load, some of the time I'm not even allowed to download the apps in my country, and all of the time the apps are rubbish.

8. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I've played such games, and from the looks of it I probably won't be playing much of them in the future either, so not that big of a deal for me. Even back then I ended up hoarding those premium credits without using them anyway.

9. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    I am with apple as well, These things just get it the way, They are slow when you click them by accident and the apps they have are all complete rubbish.

10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Good news for more dedicated/hardcore gamers. Bad news for annoying teenagers and middle aged adults.

Sounds good to me-- i'm looking forward to higher quality games.

11. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Same, Good on Apple, Another reason why you are great Apple.

12. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Tapjoy blows. Things like Tapjoy blow. Developers who insist on using such crapware are to be avoided.

Apple, FTW.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

14. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    So are you against this or for?

15. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

The incentivized download system would work so much better if the apps that participate weren't completely worthless. I'd enjoy the system if it was used in the better games, to unlock new features, levels, etc, instead of valueless currency.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think he cares, he just likes the stories :p

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Who cares? It is even worth debating? Apple holds the key to the castle and has ultimate power due to an incredibly thorough developer agreement with many catch-all clauses. It's their party, and entirely within their rights to kick out whoever they want.

Also please don't paste full article text from other sites.

18. DarwinAce

DarwinAce Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    i agree, i think services like tapjoy will continue to live on to support the massification of good "free" titles with full unlockable ingame content or subscription. instead of crappy facebook game ports.

19. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    This.

The only times I used tapjoy and kept the games was when it was paid games that I had already bought at the time. But 99% of the apps that it wanted me to download (or buy) were completely worthless. I did download a handful of free apps and immediately removed them, can't imagine this actually benefitted anyone other than tapjoy.

20. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    QFT. Tapjoy is a rebranded company that was originally a bunch of scamming scumbags. I doubt the new name has changed much.