Universal Light Apprentice - Comic Gamebook (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccruncher

ccruncher Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I could see the comparison but this feels a lot different to me. There are comic parts, but the fighting is more like Super Mario RPG and then there's parts where you explore areas, interact with the landscape and solve puzzles.

2. scifistephen

scifistephen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 4, 2013
    I'm very wary of games released in parts,I'm afraid the rest will never get released and I'll have paid for a worthless part one of a multiple part game

3. ccruncher

ccruncher Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm worried about that too, I hope being published by Bulkypix means we don't have to worry. At least it's a reputable company.

4. Paul Ash

Paul Ash Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Looks very nice! Sold!

5. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I don't enjoy being negative one but I'm actually put off by the Bulkypix name - there have been a few games (Antisquad and Dead Effect for example) that have been dropped for various reasons and republished in a freemium format. Granted, they've published a huge amount of games so the percentage that do this is very small but it still niggles away in the back of my mind.

That said, and it's a major point, so far this is a really enjoyable game. As mentioned, it plays a lot like Paper Mario but with some elements of point and click and choose your own adventures. This is by far my pick of the week (at least until I try Bik and Stunt Gal) so I definitely recommend giving it a try. After all, it won't get the future content if no one buys it!

6. uFinKnow

uFinKnow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I grabbed it.

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #27 ste86uk, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    I hate to moan but really? If your going to have a lunch price have it on launch! Paid full price and now it's dropped hours later. I know it's not much but still irritating.

Enjoying the game so far though, will leave more feedback when I get chance to play longer.

8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    So I like the game and am enjoying it so far, the mix between the story and point and click adventure moments mixed with the turn based combat and abilities is good and makes me want to keep playing.

Two small gripes so far are that the screen size does not fill my 5s the comic strips are smaller than full screen and unsure why they would decide to do this? Although it doesn't spoil the game full size would be nice.

Finally I have no idea how or when it saves? I did a bunch of point and click sections with battles and then what seemed like a boss. The boss battle ended on it's own though and give me passive points rather than warrior? Also I returned to the menu after the battle and then when returning to the game it had reset itself back further?

If anyone could help me with these points I'd appreciate it. I don't get a lot of time to play so someone else may have figured more out than I.

But anyone thinking about getting this should do, I love the turn based battles and the story as both make you want to play further. Point and click isn't really my thing but it does mix up the gameplay and gives you little puzzles to figure out.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Just spotted this in the featured games section and it looks awesome. Initial impressions seem pretty positive. Should I dive in?

10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I would, I got it before the price dropped a little and still don't regret it as my only gripes are small and could be fixed. Maybe I'm just that new there's a way to do it and I don't know yet.

Can't imagine there will be 4 episodes which would be great. I already love game books and games like The Walking dead and wolf among us. So to have this be a kind of gamebook with some rpg and turn based battle mechanics just makes it more addictive for me.

Have my heart set to complete this Saturday night when I'm off work.

Edit: just thought I'd add that personally I could never get into Lone Wolf but this had me from the start.

11. Alrikster

Alrikster Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2013
    After some playing and finishing what seemed like an introduction i seem to have reached the end of the first chapter already.
    Is this all there is right now? I mean i love the art style, the two characters and everying but this is a bit meager in terms of content. Maybe i have missed something, or it is bugged?

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Unsure without knowing how far you got. If you post it here though you'll have to add spoilers so not to spoil things for others.

13. razrie

razrie Member

Apr 10, 2014
    AVOID THIS GAME, I rarely buy phone games but I took a dive on this one... Huge mistake. I probably beat the game within 45 minutes MAX.

Besides length
    Super easy
    Choices are very dull, and really only 1 of the choices has mattered
    Story is interesting overall but dialogue feels wonky.

Art style and screen changing is fantastic but that's literally all there is to the game.

Devs should reduce this to a dollar or make it free and do dollar chapters, because as it stands, I would rather spend the money on currency to gamble a character roll in a game, than this. It's too short!

14. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Any news on chapter 2 lately?

15. razrie

razrie Member

Apr 10, 2014
    We are at around what 8 months now with the only update being a new icon. This "game". Seems to me like the devs got their money and bailed to a new project.

16. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX

I'll put a word in with BulkyPix about this, because I really dug episode one, but my guess is that because the game didn't make much money, someone or everyone involved decided to cut their losses and go to something new.

17. hincy89

May 15, 2011
    Any news on chapter 2?

18. BulkyPix

BulkyPix Member

May 7, 2015
    Paris
    Chapters 2, 3 and 4 are coming! They will all be released simultaneously in a new "Complete" edition later this year.

Sorry for the delay.

19. hincy89

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for the news can't wait, and the fact it's going to be complete edition is just awesome :)