Monster Tower! (working title)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tbaldree, Apr 15, 2011.

1. tbaldree

tbaldree Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    #1 tbaldree, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    UPDATED:
    OK, a little time has passed, and a lot has gotten done!
    Monster Tower is now about ready for some testers.

http://monstertower.blogspot.com

For lack of a better description, it's like a bizarre mix of Plants Vs Zombies and Angry Birds - you have until nightfall to build a structure around your chickens and defend them from hungry monsters. You can build bricks, weaponry, and white chickens which produce golden eggs to fund your efforts. It's all touch driven, so you drag bits of the world around, you can catch enemy spears and bombs in midair and fling them back at them, or hurl boulders, masonry - or even chickens! - to wipe them out. Completing levels earns you new types of tools to use, and new monsters with new abilities appear to challenge your defensive chops.

It's like an ultra-simple/ultra-strange/physics-based RTS that takes about 5 minutes a round.

It's really goofy, but strangely enjoyable!

I'm including some updated artwork and videos to give you an idea of what has changed.

Video:
    [hqyoutube]-KBWleHumjI[/hqyoutube]

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the last two or three weeks or so, I've been working on a little iPhone/iPad game in my spare time -

OLD VIDEO AND SCREENSHOTS BELOW!

Video:
    [hqyoutube]6g1Wo4RN2_c[/hqyoutube]

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sawusawme

sawusawme Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Bermuda Triangle
    Few cute games are my cups of tea...but this one looks not bad...:cool:

3. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Interesting concept. It looks pretty good for 2-3 weeks of spare time.

4. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    There is a touch of Angry Birds and of Plants vs Zombies but with a new idea which seems interesting :)
    On the video the game looks slow but perhaps when you're playing it, you don't feel the same thing.
    If you keep the cute graphics, I'll give it a try for sure :p

5. n1kn4k

n1kn4k Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Let me know if you need some Beta testing :D

6. tbaldree

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    It ends up feeling much the opposite - once you have 7 or 8 cannons going, 18 or 20 monsters attacking, a load of missiles in the air, ghosts stealing your chickens, and your tower is crumbling from the damage while you try to dump chickens back in it with 20 seconds to sundown... It gets very hectic. I've actually had to nerf the first 5 levels quite a bit to ease people into it.

Hopefully in a short while I'll be ready for a few testers - I want to add enemy siege towers and some sort of ranking/performance system, and some more earnable goodies first.

And yes, the plan is to stay cute.

7. tbaldree

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    I squeezed Siege Towers in today - they rattle in from the edges with different sorts of cannons mounted on top. They also serve as defensive shields for any critters behind them - you'll have to fire over them to reach any hidden monsters, or blow them to bits. They are multi-part, so you can blow off the wheels or sections of the tower, or just the cannons on top. Hit 'em hard enough if they are on a slope, and you can tip them over, too! A powderkeg works nicely to blow out the wheels.

Screenshot: (click below for big'un)

[​IMG]

Next up are flamethrower critters, repair chickens, and possibly some sort of wrecking-ball flying bat. Still need to get some sort of star or medal ranking going per level as well - either based on surviving chicken count, remaining cash, damage dealt, or some sort of amalgamation. Possibly a secondary objective ( ala Tie-Fighter! ) - which gives you bonus awards that can be used to upgrade your village persistently.

8. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I agree with the medal rankings ideas (not very interested in the money, but the one which will count alive chickens is great & will add another tactical part).
    Siege towers seem to be challenging :)

Do you plan to add Game Center (& OpenFeint) for achievements and leaderboards?

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Art looks pretty nice. :)

10. tbaldree

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    Achievements definitely, leaderboards if I come up with a reasonable ranking system that works well for it -

Thanks! :)

11. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Yeh right, "programmer art" - biggest understatement of the century :p
    You should delete that line - it makes people angry and jealous :D

I totally digg the song in the video. And gfxwise - well I love everything cuteypie and with chicken you can't go wrong ;)
    Also looks very interesting gameplaywise.

Seems like you got a great idea there - best of luck with this !

12. tbaldree

Dec 16, 2010
    Game Developer
    Seattle
    OK! Lots of work has been done, and Monster Tower has come a long way. I've updated the first post with an updated video and artwork. Getting closer!