How to make an iPhone game in 10 days

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Luke Kellett, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    #1 Luke Kellett, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Hey guys, a little while back I set myself a challenge to make a complete iPhone game in 10 days and put it up on the app store.

Truth be told it was a very tiring experience, but quite rewarding too! I thought other budding indie devs would get something out of the story so I posted it up on my blog here.

Enjoy!

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    this reminds me of some of the previous code jam events. Of coarse they did it in 72 hours --- but your achievement is still awesome.

good job, I wish I had the programming experience to pump out titles in a week :D

3. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks BulletDev, but I've also gota give some credit to the 2d/3d and audio artists that filled in the gaps in my skills.

Without them I simply couldn't have done it all in time :)

4. davepilgrimus

davepilgrimus New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Sounds great. I will have to check out your blog. Thanks for the post.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Nice post. Has the game made a reasonable return?

I know that no human could work at that speed the whole time, but do you reckon you could make a game every ten days and earn a good living out of it?

6. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #6 Luke Kellett, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    Hey Rubicon,

The downloads have been pretty good so far, and the conversion rate (i.e. IAP purchases) are about 2%. Being such a short development time not all areas got as much focus as I would have liked (i.e. marketing and how to convert downloads to sales).

Version 2 addresses these things, adds a heap of new free stuff and other miscellaneous things to improve player retention and play times.

As for doing this consistently. You're right, working at that speed is very tiring and stressful and I doubt I could keep it up for each title. It really does depend on the depth of the game and how much you want to deliver in a single release.

I do think that if done right, one can earn a good living from doing this. This is my sole income, so I've gota eat somehow :)

Funny thing, I am actually at 99 hours and 55 minutes on version 2 which I would say is about 75% done. Given the focus on attention to detail, polish and a complete GUI redesign things have taken longer but I still expect to have this release done in ~15 days elapsed time.

I've attached some screenshots of the beta, which I expect to have ready for testing next week.

PM me if anyone want's a beta copy.

Attached Files:

7. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Great stuff. :)

8. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    So the update to Superflick has hit BETA phase and I am really excited about it! I've spent the last couple of weeks honing and polishing and think you guys are guna love it :)

I've posted up some more pics and details of the beta of Superflick in a new thread.

I'm currently looking for a few experienced beta testers to give the game a test run, so if this is you then shoot me a PM!

9. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    So I've just hit 148 hours for the update (yep takin a bit longer than the last one), but pretty much everything is done...

Now comes the play testing for myself, and anyone else who is up for some Christmas beta testing :)

Or if anyone wan'ts a totally free copy of the original (i.e. all level IAP's free till December 26th) head on over to this thread for details: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=117430