Car Mania (iphone) $0.99 > FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by mrbiggles, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #1 mrbiggles, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    Delete ME

*fart* BurP*Poof* ;)

2. bititch

bititch Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Avoid like the plague.

3. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Thanks. Will do

4. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Heads up much appreciated. I feel like the last few free posts have been filled with this garbage. Isn't this the "must-have" freebie section? People just keep posting whatever free apps they see, whether or not they're any good. Except for Greyskull and few others.

5. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm avoiding this right now, but I have seen games that said the whole iAd deal but the dev ended up not implementing ads in the game. Did anyone get this?

6. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    didn't see that iAds comments before post. had the game from past, just updated game and yes ad bar on the top. have to revert back to older version now :eek:

7. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Thanks. Glad I passed on this one.

8. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    iAds? What a damn shame.

9. Repair Drone

Repair Drone Well-Known Member

Car Mania is now a permanent freebie, not a time limited deal, hence the iAds. As nice as it would be to do without them, we've still got to eat ;)

10. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    And me ;)

11. try2bcool

try2bcool Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Must-Have Freebies is only one part of the title, it also says this is the place for "Price Drops", and "Deals", so stop being such a negative Nancy. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    Who put you in charge of deciding whether something is garbage or not, anyhow? I don't remember voting on it.

12. I did a search for Delete Me in the appstore, here it is... It is free!!! :p

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #13 Greyskull, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    You've already fed yourself on paying customers, who now have iads. No, having purchased an app doesn't matter; only apps which remain installed avoid being demoted from a paid for game to an advertising vector.

Why can't devs/publishers just RELEASE A SEPERATE VERSION? There are plenty of devs who don't screw over rheir existing customers in this way. Fur Fighters just saw a free version released...it's the same as the original, with iads added. BUT, the paid version remains in the store.

Man, I have almost all Origin 8 games. Now I have to add yet another developer to my "do not but list".

It's a shame, because I've bought nearly all of their games. They've been around on ios for a very long time, and earned my trust. Now they've lost it.

Oh well, one less dev's products for me to waste my money on.

14. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    You really don't need to sound so offended; the poster, I believe, was simply stating his frustration...this sub-forum can move pretty quicky, hiding truly great deals and must have freebies off of the first page.

15. bititch

bititch Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    The problem is turning a previously paid game into freemium, which is unfair to people who did buy it. Any developer/publisher who does this cannot be trusted to keep future games the same.

There is no excuse for this. You can't expect people to keep an older version of the game while having a constant reminder to update, even less so with this update, as OpenFeint is changed to GameCenter.

You could have made a separate free version; that you didn't shows you know people don't want a platform for ads disguised as a game. That is what you have made this though, and you've forced it down the throats of your paying customers.

16. Repair Drone

Repair Drone Well-Known Member

It's the OpenFeint shutdown that's the problem, really. We found ourselves in a position where we either had to do significant work on 3+ year old games that have had negligible sales beyond the first year or two of release, or just flat-out pull the game from sale, leaving existing copies potentially broken. Our base game engine has has changed a lot since the release of Car Mania etc, meaning it's not just a case of plugging in the Game Center code from Sentinel 3. We had to drop absolutely everything for 2-3 weeks to work on these updates, including Sentinel 4 and [unannounced project].

Ideally we'd be able to dip a ladle in our ocean of money to buffer us for this period, but our ocean's more of a duck pond, and let's face it, swapping OF for Game Center isn't going to increase sales in any significant way. We had to compromise somewhere to save our accountant from having a stroke and, hopefully, revitalise an old title that has been stagnant for a while.

Now, of course the above doesn't change the game experience for those of you who paid $0.99 and are still playing it (any of you out there? Greyskull, I presume?), but you deserve an explanation of our thinking.

17. try2bcool

try2bcool Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2012
    You have posted a lot of what I consider to be garbage. ;) The difference is, I don't complain about having to sift through it to get to the good stuff.

It's FREE STUFF and people complain about a couple of mouse clicks to manually filter it!

I swear, people are so spoiled these days, there is this pervasive feeling of entitlement everywhere you go, no one thinks you should have to do any work to EARN what you get, or be inconvenienced in any way.

Thankfully, when the zombies come, the lazy, entitled people will be the first ones eaten. (which explains why zombies are so slow)

*climbs off soap box*

18. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    The lazy people won't be out and about during the zombie apocolypse, it will pass them right by...

As for Origin8, I have no response. It's been a reaccuring theme; once paid apps having ads inserted/freemium elements added...etc. And it's becoming more frequent, especially anongst devs which I held in high regards. I'll leave one positive example and then let it be, because this appstore gamesmanship is completely turning me off of ios gaming conpletely.

Cascadia Games games (I know that sounds grammatically incorrect, but that's the studio name) w/Openfeint are being "hidden" in the appstore. In other words, thet won't be available for purchase, but they still will be visible for re-download to those who have a license. They aren't trying to milk more money off of their older games.

The inclusion of Openfeint won't break many games. Just leave it be and don't bother adding Gamecenter. That way I can play the games the way I bought them. I'm not one of those "entitled"- as the previous poster described -people who believe I deserve free stuff. My purchase is my purchase; members who complain about additions which cost extra or expect constant updates get on my nerves. I expect nothing more than the product I bought, as I bought it. And I'll leave it at that.

BTW, just read an article which stated that 60% of appstore revenues are generated by, I forgot the exact number, but less than a dozen publishers. That's total revenue: paid apps, iaps, freemium w/ iaps...etc. And a very small # of apps are generating the bulk of it. 25% of apps get zero downloads.

What I'm saying is we are past the point of striking paydirt on the appstore unless the developer is established, extremely lucky, or puts out an exceptional product. Preferably more than one of the above. In this environment, you might not want to forget those who have been buying your products from the start.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I think it would work as a goodwill and loyalty thing to customers rather than make them hesitant, maybe as suggested a parallel free ad supported version would have been better?