Universal Blast-A-Way (by Illusion Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
  2. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    If new levels are in the works, I'd like to propose challenge levels that are much harder than the current levels! And for all the people on the fence, try the lite version if your unsure, but I wholeheartedly recommend this for 4.99. The polish and graphics are simply amazing.

Oh and congrats on a 4/4 from STP, a 5/5 from Appspy, and a 4/5 from TA :D

3. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    It can be a little bit difficult sometimes to get them perfect throws. The game requires a little bit precision aiming to get the correct throws. We want to get the players to get the feeling "YES I got it!!" when hitting a block the correct way.

Look over the controls in the how-to menu to see if you use all control possibilities.
    My favorit controls are:
    -"Tap to focus" where you tap on a block to get the camera focused on that block.
    -"Pinch to zoom" where you pinch to zoom the camera.

4. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö

I can add some of the more advanced controls. :)

- Single tap on a block to get the camera focused on that block
    - Pinch to zoom in or out
    - Swipe 2 fingers up or down to elevate or de-elevate the camera.

5. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    Thank you very much :)

6. touchchamp

touchchamp Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Are the levels in the free version different from the full version levels?

7. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    No its the same levels.

Free contains:
    - All the wood levels
    - 2 levels from metal
    - 2 from fabric

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Marcus, I love the game, and really looking forward to more.

The one thing I'd like to see (apart from new, more challenging content) is the ability to turn off automated camera movement. I'm talking about refocusing the camera when tapping a different character, following shots, and spinning the camera around explosions. I find the camera controls very easy to use, but the above makes it feel much more like a struggle than it otherwise would. Any chance of adding this as an option?

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #109 y2kmp3, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
    Just want to share some impression of the game that may not be immediately obvious with early play of this game.

I am near the end of the game. Unlike most of the levels in this game, the final few levels are very hard. Thus, for those posters who think that this game is a walk in the park, that impression does not adequately describe this game in full.

I do have some concerns about the precision with which you need to manage your shots in these last few levels. Frankly, I think these levels are somewhat unfair in that you are asked to pull off a long string of incredibly precise shots in order to pass the level. Since there is no rewind, you basically have to restart whenever a mistake is made. Yet, often such mistake may not be "entirely" your fault. For example, you are frequently required to bounce a ball on the ground and for the bounce to reach a specific height and angle to hit a target. The bounce is too hard to manage, even if you try to be as precise as possible. In one case, you are even asked to bounce the ball off an "edge" (not the surface) of a block and to have the bounce hit a target! These few levels are incredibly well designed, and the solutions are ingenious. However, even though I could foresee the solution, passing the level was incredible frustrating at times because of these random fails.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I wouldn't be opposed to a rewind option. The fun is in figuring out what to do more so than making perfect shots (for me at least). Of course they could have challenge levels where you get a medal or something for not using it.

11. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Misguided,

How far are you along in the game, particularly in the last world?

12. christofferlindvall

christofferlindvall New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    3D Artist
    Difficult levels?

Hey guys!

My name is Christoffer, 3D artist and level designer at Illusion Labs. If you're having difficulties with the levels, just post here on the forum and I'll try to give you a hint :D

/C

13. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    Hello,
    I am glad you like the game!

We have not decided at all what to do next. We did the free version since it seemed right but we still have not decided our next move (except some iCloud testing). So all input is appreciated. Perhaps we will add camera settings, it is nothing we have talked about before.

/Marcus

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #114 y2kmp3, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Hello, Christoffer and Marcus,

First, I want to express how much I appreciate seeing a developer so engaging with the community. As I had revealed to Marcus privately, your willingness to engage with the community and hear feedback from the community was the key decision factor for my purchase of this game.

I have now completed the entire game and have achieved all 3-star sratings for all of the levels. With this, I want to share my experience with the game's control, especially with the last few levels.

1. I agree with many posters that there needs to be an option to disable the auto camera orientation when I change character. The auto-orientation is especially distracting in the later levels. This is because the perspective chosen by the auto-orientation is nearly always suboptimal.

2. In the later levels, the precision by which some moves need to be executed is too demanding for a touch interface. Frequently, even when I have done my best to position a shot, the end results are rather arbitrary. I am fully aware that these different outcomes are likely because of subtle differences in the shots' setup. However, I would argue that if such difference is imperceptible to the player because of the touch control, then it is futile and unfair for the game to demand such precision. Two examples are of particular concern: bank shots wherein you need to bounce off an "edge" (not the surface) of a block so that the bomb will bounce to the target; blowing up a series of bombs to "move" another bomb along a path. Obviously, I don't want to describe these further, as they may be seen as spoilers.

3. I am split on whether or not a rewind button is needed. Certainly, it will help in the few levels in which the outcomes of the shots are rather unpredictable despite having the shot "properly" lined up. For me, it was a frustrating experience having to redo a level over and over again because one of a long string of "precision" shots went awry.

Please do not take the above comments as rants. Rather, I only want share these comments as constructive criticisms. This is a superbly designed game, very polished, excellent level designs with some very clever levels. Players who decide to go for the "finish line", however, should expect a huge jump in difficulty in the last few levels that are out of keep with the rest of the game because these levels demand precision shots that are made unnecessary difficult by a touch interface.

15. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    London, UK
    #115 PlexShaw, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Anyone got a 3 Boxies solution for Plastic Level 15? It's driving me nuts due to the randomness of it.

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out.

16. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    I don't know if you're still viewing this thread Marcus.

But Blast a way is my new favorite iOS game. I think it has everything that an iOS game should be. I love the visuals, and how clever the game is. I'm taking it slow through all the levels because I don't want the game to end!!!

This game is perfect in my opinion. I think controls are really appropriate 4 the game and I wouldn't change them.

PLEASE MARCUS ADD MORE LEVELS!!!!!!!! ID LOVE TO SEE MORE WORLDS WITH DIFFERENT THEMES AND NEW ELEMENTS. MAYBE SOME BONUS EXTREMELY CHALLENGING LEVELS.

The levels are very clever. Keep up the great work!!!!!! I'm keeping my eye on illusion labs. Anyone who loves blast a way as much as me, ASK 4 MORE LEVELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Marcus_

Marcus_ Active Member

May 21, 2011
    Sweden, Malmö
    Hello Garret44

I am very glad you like the game.

As I mentioned before, we have not decided yet what or next step will be with Blast-A-Way. So I am glad you point out that you want more levels.

BR
    Marcus

18. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #118 Darth Ronfar, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    Hey,this game is great.. I'm not very far (only in the second world) but one suggestion I have is for the robots to be able to throw the balls to eacthother. I know for most of it that's Kind of the point by not blasting your teamates Off etc... And adding it to previous levels would mess them up, but maybe it could be an idea for future levels or something.

My only other suggestion is character movement is kind of akward I'd rather it be point and click or have a seperate joystick. I can see where the line drawing might be necessary but it doesn't look like you have to plan ahead walking to a certain point at a certain time. Atleast, it hasn't come into play yet. If I doesn't then either have another control option or utilize the line drawing movement into the game play. In that case though you would need some really precise camera control to switch between robots unless you could hold one robots position and then push another button to make him walk in the set path.

That's all, thanks

19. garret44

garret44 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks Marcus

Even if new levels weren't added its still a very solid game, I just think more levels would make it EVEN better

Thanks 4 the response!

Keep up the great work, you guys are awesome

20. Anidni

Anidni Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Frustrating

Hi,

for me the game finishes with level 7 in the plastic world.
    No matter how hard I try - no chance to proceed.

I'm an average gamer (though 54 yrs. young ;), but my touchy skills don't match the games' demand.

An simple undo would be helpful.

Imo the first 2 worlds are a bit too easy, the last one is too difficult.

Greetings, Anidni