iOS update 6.1.2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by bramblett05, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    New update just hit but with all the attack hacks is it even safe to worry about (using touch 4)

2. Was there ever a 6.1.1? Or did I miss it?

So how is 6.1.2, worth upgrading for? I almost like 6.0.1 better than 6.1, so maybe I will pass unless there is a need...

3. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I upgraded, I think it's only something like 10mb so there's not really any reason not to. :)

4. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    didn't really know there was a 6.1.1 .

anyway, any update that may enhance battery life is good enough to upgrade to.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I believe 6.1.1 was only for the iPhone 5.

6. Thanks and rumours of extended battery life seem good. Will upgrade later.

7. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I seem to be getting shorter battery life under 6.1.2 than under 6.1 on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS.

Unfortunately, 6.1 appeared to cause my 3GS to heat up so that the back gets quite hot...

8. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    not sure if this is related to this thread but you made me think of something
    my ipad4 and iphone4 both have had a drastic reduction in battery life the last week or 2
    the iphone 4 is the worst. usually a full charge would last me all day easily, wouldnt even get past 50%
    now by mid morning its down around 70% and i rarely use it
    ( i do make sure all apps are closed too)
    was this a common theme with ios update or totally unrelated

sorry for hijacking a thread

9. I've been getting worse battery life in ios 6.1 I think. Will load on 6.1.2 tommorrow to see if it helps.

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It isn't directly related to the updates, but with my iPhone turning on 3G results in a massively, hugely reduced battery life, similar to what you've described. Could that be it for you?

11. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Generally, turning on more radios uses up more energy.

From my own observation, turning on each of the following will use more electricity:

GSM (2G)
    Wi-Fi
    GPRS
    3G
    GPS

I usually just leave GSM on all the time for calls and texts, but toggle between Wi-Fi and 3G depending on Wi-Fi availability.

Moving about will sap battery life really quickly as the iPhone will have to keep changing base stations, so battery life in a stationary position last much longer than on the highway.

However if OP has not varied his daily routine, then the cause of the drain would most likely be something else.

An app perhaps? I have had some apps draining my iDevices rapidly after using them and some even after force quitting them. A reboot is necessary to return to normal power consumption patterns.

Apps which I found drain battery quickly once started:

Teux Deux (drains power quickly, so force quit it every time I am done, which solves the problem)
    Puffin Web Browser (keeps draining power rapidly even after force quitting, rebooting is the only answer)

12. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    i havent changed anything with the phone apart from the fact the last 2 weeks ive been using it WAY less, yet its battery drains a lot lot more
    id say, without exaggerating 2 or 3 times faster than previously. everything else seems to be fine, nothing wrong or broken
    my ipad isnt as bad but there is a noticeable speed up in battery usage the last fortnight than previously

13. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Have you tried rebooting? Hold down the power button at the top right hand corner until the red swipe bar appears at the top of the screen, then swipe it. A circular timer thing will appear in the middle of the screen as your iDevice shuts down. After the screen has gone totally blank for ten or more seconds, hold down the power button until an Apple logo appears in the middle of the screen. Then the usual lock screen should appear once all the iOS stuff has loaded. That would be a soft reboot.

Also, did the back of your device feel warmer recently? I had issues with my 3GS after updating to 6.1, but if your back isn't warmer then it is probably something else...