Celsius Game Studios Presents: Red Nova

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #1 CGSColin, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    September Development Update Video

Red Nova is going into beta shortly so I wanted to share some new video of the game, including a peak at some of the features that the game is going to have:

I've been working feverishly for the last few weeks on CGS' new game, and I'm finally happy enough with how it looks to post a screenshot :)

So without further ado, I give you a teeny tiny glimpse of Red Nova!

[​IMG]

What I can tell you about the game so far:

• Red Nova is going to be an inertia-based sci-fi shoot em up (think Asteroids on crack)
    • No sprites here. It has true 3D graphics with 2D gameplay, with 30+ FPS on the iPhone 3G/2nd Gen iPod Touch, even with dozens of enemies on screen
    • Multiple enemy types (How many? I'll be releasing info on them right here in due time!)
    • The first game-mode will be a survival mode where you must destroy as many enemy ships as possible while staying alive
    • Hopefully there will be more than one game mode at launch! (I plan on adding lots of free updates too so you get the most for your money)

Anyway, hopefully that's enough to whet your appetites for now. I'm still tweaking the HUD and weapons, but maybe by the weekend I'll have a tasty tasty video so you can see Red Nova in motion!

Edit (May 25th, 2010): Preview Video!

Edit (May 30th, 2010): Missiles!

Edit (July 22nd, 2010): FX-30 Kusanagi Multi-Role Space Attack Vehicle:

Also: The Phaeton Spaceflight Systems FX-28 Excalibur Space Superiority Fighter

2. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    looks okay from current screen, will be waiting for the vid :D

3. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    cool looking teaser shot, looking forward to seeing more

4. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Here's another screenshot showing how things are progressing:

[​IMG]

As you can see, there is a heads up display now including gauges and a radar (the arrows at the edge of the screen). Also, I've gone and fancied up the engine effects a smidge.

5. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
  6. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Shields up!

[​IMG]

7. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like a more combat-oriented Warpgate. Looking good so far but definitely needs graphical polish (obviously), but I would assume it's pretty early in development.

8. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I'm aiming for a bit of a mix, gameplay wise, between classic shooters like R-Type/Ikaruga, inertia based games like Asteroids and survival shooters like Minigore.

And yes, it's still pretty early as far as the graphics are concerned, but I'm working quickly on making the game look great. The enemies in these screenshots are just placeholders while I tweak the gameplay and add features. The real enemy units are all pretty much designed, I just need time to model and texture them.

Also I feel the game looks better in motion, so once I get that video posted it should be pretty awesome :cool:

9. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Everyone loves the circus, am I right?

[​IMG]

(Also, I really need to work on some better looking enemy units :()

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

wait a minute... this isn't a dual stick shooter is it?

11. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Technically it's a single stick shooter. You can change your facing without altering your direction of travel if you flip the left stick around without pushing all the way out (that would cause you to start accelerating in that direction). The triggers for the main gun and missiles are on the right side, but they're not being drawn just yet.

12. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    While I was happy with the drunken missile effect... I just don't think things felt quite as over-the-top as I was hoping... certainly nobody seems too excited about a measly 6 missiles.

So I found the top, and I went over a little bit:

[​IMG]

13. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
  14. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    If anyone had any feedback to offer on the video it would be hella rad to the extreme :cool:

15. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    So far it looks pretty good. I'd say that with some planets and space stations and stuff added that would help with the atmosphere. A good weapon system with lots of different weapons and upgrades would be great. Also, multiple ships that could be purchased and upgraded would be pretty sweet too. But yeah it's definitely a good start. The enemy ships look pretty bad though ;) (I know they're just basic shapes for the sake of having enemies)

16. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Thank you! Definitely planning on having some more "stuff" in the levels.

The ships (yes plural :)) will all have similar base weapons, and I'm planning on having some power-ups you can pick up off defeated enemies. I've also been toying with the idea of upgrades like more/faster/more powerful shots, and whatnot.

Currently focusing on nicer enemy designs (there are some already in the video, the ones in the screenshots are hideous I agree :eek:) and when those are done I'll post some info and renders!

17. heman

heman Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    is it going to have a freeplay like going to other places or flying arounld like warpgate

18. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Red Nova is going to be more combat/mission oriented. I am a huge fan of Frontier/Elite however, so I would like to explore that kind of game at some point (using the Red Nova engine).

19. Obscure

Obscure Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Australia
    Doesn't look too bad, keep up the good work mate and it'll be awesome. Will be watching this.

20. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009